It's time for CJ McCollum to go.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by chris_in_pdx, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Blazers1977

Blazers1977 Well-Known Member

you sir are filled with hate

CJ is easily an all star. He as ranked 13 coming into the season.

2. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

I must have missed all those all star games he's played in then

3. Blazers1977

Stay tuned

4. SIeepwalker

I'll be waiting a long time (unless he goes east where my grandma could be an all star)

hoopsjock likes this.
  5. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Already with these dumbass threads.
    Oh right if I don't agree I'm a soccer mom.

Get lost.

Blazers1977 and Blazers Roy like this.
  6. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

Would you bet your life on Kobe winning a shooting contest against CJ? :evilfire:

7. Blazers Roy

I heard his contract is up this summer and his value isn't that high, we dont need to use CJ to get him lol.

8. SIeepwalker

I would bet on Kobe winning a 1 on 1

9. Blazers Roy

You guys talked about 'shooting'.
    You're avoiding the question so i'm guessing you're more OK with letting CJ shoot now.

10. Blazers1977

CJ is an elite shooter and led the league in mid range % last year, so yeah, let him shoot.

11. Blazers Roy

I watched enough Kobe and Wade over the years NOT to get upset after a 5/18 nights. Those things happen.
    Shot selection and team play could always improve though.

AmirIcon likes this.
  12. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

yes, I believe it because Olshey himself, when the Blazers were offering 3 first round picks for PG13, said something like "why would we trade CJ for PG when we want CJ to play with PG"

if he was thinking that when PG13 was available and still had 2 years left on his deal, he was for damn sure thinking it when Kawhi was available and had 1 year left on his deal

besides all that, when those players were being shopped and the Portland rumors were out there, all we heard from Woj and Haynes and Quick and the like was that Portland was holding CJ untouchable. Finally...pay attention: Olshey's love affair with CJ has been plainly visible since he drafted him

LOL...c'mon man. At least try a little bit to maintain a little credibility. Elite scorers are elite because they score lots of points with high efficiency. CJ has mediocre efficiency, mainly because he doesn't get to the foul line. He scores 20+ points a game because he averages nearly 20 shots a game. That's not elite. And LOL at "adept passer"....Mason Plumlee is a better PG than CJ

apparently, you're the new swish3 and CJ's your shining star

I've always been skeptical about this assertion:

Kemba Walker
    Gordon Hayward
    Jimmy Butler
    Khris Middleton
    Ben Simmons
    Victor Oladipo
    Malcolm Brogdon
    Kyrie Irving
    Trae Young
    Zach Lavine
    Bradley Beal

even with the injuries, That's a list of players that suggests CJ would have a real tough time cracking into the top-5. And no way at all if everybody is healthy

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Strenuus, UKRAINEFAN and hoopsjock like this.
  13. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Man do i wish CJ was off the team. He hurts our team so much on so many nights.

Someday..

14. Blazers1977

So in other words you made up the story about Stotts refusing to trade CJ for Leonard specifically. Nice.

Non-sequitir. LOL c’mon man. At least try to use a little bit of logic.

LOL CJ had the highest mid range shooting % of anyone in the league last year and ranked high from 3 as well

15. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Kobe played this other side of the ball....some pesky thing called defense. CJ is unfamiliar with this novelty.

As for CJ being an elite shooter, he is so elite, he was something like 10th on his own team last year in TS%. True elite status to be sure.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  16. Blazers1977

anayltics are for people who don’t play or know anything about basketball. CJ is an elite scorer, ask anyone on the blazers team or coaching staff.

people said the same thing about Kobe. It’s always been an invalid insult. Jump shooters always have lower efficiency precisely bc they are jump shooters i.e. the player the team goes to when they can’t find a better shot. The team purposely gives Kobe and CJ the hardest shots, bc they make them the most often.

17. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    This is so off base it isn't even worth arguing.

18. SIeepwalker

Shooting has nothing to do with it. I don't know why you're taking this in a direction that has nothing to do with what everyone is talking about. A shooting contest ? Sure I wouldn't bet against CJ in pure shooting. in shooting contest there is no defender. The issue is when there is a defense and CJ goes dribbling 1 on x for 20 seconds before jacking a contested shot. That's what everybody has a problem with. Not pure shooting. Everybody knows CJ can shoot.

That's when this guy comes asking if Kobe can do it why can't CJ, and the answer is that's because Kobe was 20x the player CJ is. And that's not taking the defensive end into consideration, which is another debate

19. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

that's not true. Durant was the best, not CJ. CJ was 2nd. Durant was best in 2017-18 when CJ was 16th. And so far, this season, Hood, Dame, Whiteside, and Simons are all better from mid-range than CJ. If that's the resume of an elite mid-range shooter than there are about 30 elite mid range shooters in the league

https://stats.nba.com/players/shooting/?CF=Mid-Range FGA*GE*250&DistanceRange=By Zone&PerMode=Totals&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular Season&dir=1&sort=Mid-Range FG PCT

but I didn't reply to your assertion that CJ was an elite mid-range shooter. I replied to your assertion that CJ was an "elite scorer". Last season, among NBA players who logged at least 800 minutes, CJ ranked 172nd in TS% and 143rd in eFG%. Forget about being in the top-100, he couldn't crack the top-140. He ranked 35th in offensive box plus/minus and that he ranked that high is almost certainly because he played so much with Dame who ranked 3rd

if he was an elite scorer, he wouldn't have ranked 10th on Portland in TS%, 7th in eFG%, 13th in FT rate, 8th in winshares/48, 8th in box plus/minus, and 5th in value over replacement. Now Dame...he's an elite scorer. Calling CJ one is loopy

what CJ is the beneficiary of is elite opportunity. Last season, he ranked 26th in scoring, but he ranked 17th in FGA's. This season, he ranks 20th in scoring, but ranks 6th in FGA's. It's crazy that CJ is shooting more than Dame. He's actually averaging more FGA's, and that's when Dame is absolutely crushing CJ in TS%, .624 vs .487; and in points/shot, 1.47 vs 1.03. To allow that is simply bad coaching, but that's the kind of counter-productive enabling of CJ's frustrating, ball-dominating nature that has been going on for over 4 seasons now

20. Blazers1977

more like you can’t argue