It's time for CJ McCollum to go.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by chris_in_pdx, Nov 14, 2019.

1. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

no matter how many times you say it, it still won't be true. He's not an elite scorer, and his numbers make that obvious

I'd wonder if he's even an elite shooter

let's try career 3ptFG%; how does CJ rank among players who have attempted at least 500 three's? He ranks 52nd all time (.399) which kind of sounds elite, but who ranks ahead of him?

Tim Legler B.J. Armstrong Buddy Hield J.J. Redick Kelenna Azubuike José Calderón Daniel Gibson Raja Bell Wally Szczerbiak Brent Barry Otto Porter Joe Ingles Anthony Parker Luke Babbitt Allan Houston Brandon Rush James Jones Malcolm Brogdon

are we really prepared to say that all those guys were elite? Now, if you want you can narrow the criteria by increasing the standard for attempts or change it to makes. But still, I think it would come down to the definition of elite.

while CJ was 2nd in mid-range percentage last season, among players who logged 800 minutes he was 165th in 2 pt FG%. That's miles from elite. He ranked 48th in FT%. And like I said earlier, he was 143rd in eFG%, which is kind of a raw shooting number based on two's and three's. In other words, you have to toss out all kinds of shooting gauges and narrow it down to just a couple types of shots before trying to argue he's elite

TS% is a much better gauge of overall shooting efficiency than eFG% since it accounts for FT's. And of course, counting FT's is applying real-world impact of shooting. Drawing shooting fouls is an integral component of shooting, scoring, and winning games. That's one of CJ's big Achilles heels. But if guys are playing h-o-r-s-e, CJ might actually be elite. Maybe they'll add that to the all-star weekend and CJ can finally get there

Reep, SIeepwalker and hoopsjock like this.
  2. Blazers1977

Blazers1977 Well-Known Member

you still haven’t explained why he got a 9 digit salary if he’s not elite.

3. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Look who is our GM.

/argument

brooklynballer likes this.
  4. Blazers1977

Less than a month after joining the Trail Blazers, Olshey drafted Damian Lillard, the fourth unanimous NBA Rookie of the Year in league history.

the Trail Blazers have made the postseason in six consecutive seasons under Olshey.

In 2017-18, the Trail Blazers finished third in the Western Conference with a 49-33 record, a Northwest Division title and a fifth consecutive trip to the postseason with the NBA’s second-youngest roster.

After making the playoffs with the league’s youngest roster in 2016-17, Olshey executed a draft day trade on June 22, 2017 to acquire Zach Collins (10th overall pick).

Olshey made the trade deadline move during the 2016-17 season to acquire center Jusuf Nurkic

The Trail Blazers advanced to the Western Conference Semifinals in 2015-16 after defeating the LA Clippers in the first round, despite not returning four of five starters from the previous year and possessing the third-youngest roster in the league. It was the third straight trip to the playoffs under the direction of Olshey, who was runner-up for the 2015-16 NBA Executive of the Year Award. McCollum, whom Olshey drafted with the 10th overall pick in 2014, won the NBA’s Most Improved Player Award that season.

Division champions for the first time since 1998-99 in 2014-15, the Trail Blazers put together consecutive 50-win seasons for just the fifth time in franchise history from 2013-14 to 2014-15.

Olshey finished third in 2013-14 NBA Executive of the Year voting after the Trail Blazers posted a 54-28 record, marking the largest improvement in franchise history and the sixth-best record all-time. Portland won its first playoff series in 14 seasons

Olshey came to Portland from the Clippers, where he served as the team’s Vice President of Basketball Operations for two seasons. Placing third in votes for the 2011-12 NBA Executive of the Year Award

Under Olshey’s direction, the Clippers transitioned into a playoff team in 2011-12 after he assembled one of the deepest rosters in the NBA

seems pretty good to me.

Tince likes this.
  5. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "if" ?
    In case you dump CJ, Simons will be instructed to take a lot of shots just like CJ and he will be getting the defensive attention CJ gets now ,so it's save to assume history will repeat itself.

6. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

Did you read at all the post I linked ??
    Right now Ant and CJ's game are different. In addition to that what I linked I've seen Ant be a more willing to make the extra pass to an open man, and make some very nice passes occasionally so I'm confident playmaking will be more and more a part of his game as he improves in the NBA.

Now if he starts running in circles for 20s and jacking shots 1 on 3 people will complain about him the same way they complain about CJ

bobf and tester551 like this.
  7. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

TIL Nikola Vucevic, Tobias Harris, D'Angelo Russel, Andrew Wiggings, are elite

BonesJones likes this.
  8. Blazers Roy

You linked the wrong post...
    Anyway, you people exaggerate whatever CJ is doing.
    He's dribbling the ball to create space for his shot.
    He doesnt shoot on 3 people he just tries to get the call when he goes in, but he never gets the whistle.

When it will be on Simons shoulders to create baskets out of thin air, when it will be his job to bail Stotts out - then i will see how you guys react to his new style.

Blazers1977 likes this.
  9. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

IMO this is a season when some very realistic CJ trades are available as other teams need a player like him, the two most obvious are for Philly and Tobias Harris or Orlando and Aaron Gordo, I prefer the Gordon trade due to his significant lower salary than Harris. Since a trade with CJ cant be done until late Jan we can evaluate if ANT is really ready to step in, as several have said the HUGE Q is whether Olshey would actually trade CJ? IMO this is the season to do it

TBpup likes this.
  10. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    It's not an exaggeration. CJ's assist percentage has gone down every year without his usage rate changing much. So my problem is that he's shown to be a decent passer in the past but has done it less and less each year. I'm hoping he learns from last game the value of him creating for others.

BonesJones likes this.
  11. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Lol...couldn't be more incorrect on that first part. So much so, further discussion would likely be pointless. @BonesJones , you can't use anaytics either or else you know nothing and didn't play. :cheers:

BonesJones and hoopsjock like this.
  12. Blazers1977

both of those trades are dog shit and if you think Ant is ready to fill the shoes of CJ you simply don’t understand playoff basketball.

13. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I played college basketball. I think analytics are useful, therefore I use them. Quit being ridiculous.

Teams also dont "purposefully" assign hard shots. The goal is to get good shots, not hard ones.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    TBpup, hoopsjock and tester551 like this.
  14. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The "if you hold this opinion, then you're mentally inferior" approach is always constructive.

15. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Fuck dude, my past would get erased? Just like that? My knowledge too?! Thank God this Blazer1977 guy warned me before it was too late!!

16. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

here's his salary: $27,556,959....you need to explain where the 9th digit is. (hint: the $ isn't a digit)

TBpup likes this.
  17. Blazers Roy

Assist numbers are part-bullshit by nature, it depends on the other player making the shot and having good players around you.

In our system players are rarely open, everyone stands around while being guarded by their man, waiting for a pick and roll play or an iso.

18. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Sorry but............

1) Same system/coach

2) This is the 1st year with drastically different players than the year he posted his career high AST% so players not hitting shots isn't a valid excuse the other 3 years.

3) You know people keep track of stuff like dribbles and passes whether they lead to assists or not, right?

TBpup likes this.
  19. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I think the problem for me is that I like shooting guards like Ray Allen or Reggie Miller. Someone like Klay Thompson fits that mold.

CJ is a shittier version of Brandon Roy. And you can have a Brandon Roy type shooting guard, but it's tough when you have a point guard like Dame who needs the ball in his hands. I think the ideal pairing is either a Dame with a Ray Allen, or a Brandon Roy with a spot up shooter point guard like Steve Blake (although someone better than Blake). Philly had a great backcourt with Eric Snow and Allen Iverson. Snow was a bigger point guard who played solid defense and AI was the ball dominant scorer.

TBpup and Reep like this.
  20. Blazers Roy

Doesn't mean anything. His teammates are hitting shots or not?
    People here are talking about his assist numbers. Show me a stat of his passes for other people to shoot and then we'll talk about that.