Ivan Chiriaev

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Ed!, Oct 4, 2003.

1. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting go_duke21:</div><div class="quote_post">^^Have you seen him play???</div>

I've seen him play, but only on film so it is difficult to be sure about everything.

edit: the need to put on some serious pounds is for certain.

2. go_duke21

go_duke21 JBB JustBBall Member

Where'd you get the film from?

Just a quick update. Ivan is really sucking it up so far this season, averaging only about 12 points per game against 6 ft. Canadian players. Also he hasn't played the last couple of games, some are speculating because he doesn't want his stock to drop anymore from his poor performances.

3. nkwu

nkwu JBB shoehead

Damn...IMO, the bottom line is he should go to the one of the US colleges he has been offered Scholarships from. HE has alot of potential, but it is clear that he isnt ready for the league. if its only 12 PPG, in THIS league, than I think its very wise he sat out.

4. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

Go_Duke: Now that i'm in the States almost full timeI do a bit of assistant coaching/advance scouting for a Div III hoops team and we are recruiting a kid from Toronto that played against Chiriavev's squad. So It was basically a fluke that I got my hands on some tape.

But aquiring tape of H.S. players is not too difficult if you ever get into coaching. All college programs and serious H.S. programs use a lot of tape so once you get to know some people all you need to do is ask nicely they will usually make you a copy.

5. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    I saw Chiriaev play a whole game on tape cos my cousin's in his school and taped it....He looked pretty good a shooter but was quite slow as a guard

6. nkwu

nkwu JBB shoehead

Heres an article that wa sin my locla paper(whbere Ivan plays)

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting OakvilleBeaver:</div><div class="quote_post">

Although Ivan Chiriaev only played roughly half the game, he definitely made his presence felt.
    The 7-foot-1 St. Thomas Aquinas centre was unstoppable against the T.A. Blakelock Tigers Tuesday afternoon, leading the Raiders to a 50-33 victory in Halton high school senior boys basketball action.

Whether it was shooting from outside, running the floor, distributing the ball or controlling the paint, Chiriaev did it all in his 20-point effort.

"He's got guys willing to give up the ball, that play well with him," Aquinas coach Ron Esteban said. "He's doing the same. He must have had six or seven assists in the first half before we sat him down."

Chiriaev scored half his points in the first quarter, leading the Raiders to a 13-4 lead with a soft jumper from the top of the key, several offensive rebounds, a couple of free throws, a pair of blocks and a textbook example of taking a charge.

</div>

Full story here: http://www.haltonsearch.com/hr/ob/sports/s...p-1882575c.html

7. pure_playa3k

pure_playa3k JBB JustBBall Member

7'2'' Pg??!!

kinda crazy eh?? but coming from oakville, canada, Ivan Chiveariv is a 7'2'' with shooting and dribbling of a pg[​IMG] . He might/gonna play PG in the pros. the kid is top 10 prospect as of right now.

8. M*gic

M*gic BBW Member

wow, 7'2" at pg? who's the last tallest pg in the L? I guess coach Zeke tried 6'11" Jonathan Bender at PG during his tenure in Indiana... wow, I wanna see him dribble and do all those crazy PG dribbles... wouldn't his feets get tangled up? Like Shaq said, there's no real centers again anymore in this world, xcept for Eddy Curry... and how tall is this guy's team's center? 8'6"?

9. pure_playa3k

pure_playa3k JBB JustBBall Member

10. okaforever

okaforever JBB JustBBall Member

wow, please pay attention because people have been talking about this person already!

11. Stockton

Stockton JBB

There's been other threads about this guy, and from what I've heard he's slow and plays SG, thinks he can play PG but can't at a competitive level. He's got decent guard skills, which seperate him from other 7 footers. But the coaches are trying to bget him to bulk up, because he wont be a guard in the NBA right now.

12. coolhandluke

coolhandluke JBB JustBBall Member

Wow, I want to see this kid play. He probably is no point guard, but just to see him jump around from every position would be fun.

13. yangyang42

yangyang42 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Fishball:</div><div class="quote_post">Like Shaq said, there's no real centers again anymore in this world, xcept for Eddy Curry... </div>

And I don't even think Curry is a pure center. He's still more like a PF than a Center. There are only a few "pure" centers left: Yao, Dampier, Ostertag, Olowakandi, Shawn Bradley, Magloire, and Ilguaskas. Maybe a few more, but that's it.

14. magicfrankie

magicfrankie JBB JustBBall Member

Shaq is a pretty pure center as well [​IMG]

15. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

It was anyone other than Shaq since Shaq said the quote.

Yeah, Curry is not a pure center. Just because he bangs people doesn't make him a center. He is like 6-10.

I doubt he will be playing PG, or even SG in the NBA. He cannot be quick enough to guard anyone that is playing on the wing.

16. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

a 7 footer for a PG? He had to stoop way down to prevent the smaller PG's from taking the ball while he's dribbling.

17. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

That guy's a project. The draft articles mention that he'll be playing a second year of basketball up in Canada. Two years of high school ball won't do it. But you can't teach a person how to grow to 7'2". Plus how is his defense? Anybody can score in the NBA but the major factor in a player is their defense, unless they use him to hoist 3's over everybody kind of like of a Tracy Murray. Crap defense but could launch them well beyond the 3 point arc.

P.S.: I know it doesn't mention whether he played basketball in Russia before he moved to Canada. But you know the reason why guys like Lebron, Kobe, and McGrady are successful is because of their speed/athleticism. If you're going to be tall and slow you better be a great shooter.

18. go_duke21

go_duke21 JBB JustBBall Member

Wow, there is only two other threads on this guy already and he doesn't deserve any of them. I live in Oakville and have seen him play twice. He is soooo over rated. His handles are good for a 7 footer but are nothing special when compared with any high school pg. The last game I went too he was 1-5 from Three point land and only scored one other basket, I got there at the end of the first half though so I didn't see the whole game. Still only scoring 5 points when you are a foot taller than everyone else on the floor, that is embarassing. The team he was playing had guys under 6 feet guarding him because they knew he wouldn't go into the post at all. He doesn't try at all and just complains to the refs the whole time, and he doesn't even have the stamina to play more than 5 minutes at a time. He is a REALLY BIG project. Don't look for him in the NBA anytime soon. Oh yea, he is 19 and playing against 17 yr olds that are from Canada, so that just sorta puts things into perspective.

19. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

He is a PG???? I wonder how Json Kidd would shoot of him. He should be the next Magic Johnson.

20. Ed!

Ed! JBB JustBBall Member

He is a swingman, not a pointguard, and ive already started a thread on him.