Iverson for billups

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by Answer_AI03, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Answer_AI03

Answer_AI03 JBB JustBBall Member

The boston globe is reporting that detroit and denver are talking about this trade. However, iverson's 20 mil contract is 9 million bigger than Billups' 11million. who could detroit through in to make it work, and more importantly what do you think this trade would mean for both teams?

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Billups + McDyess works on the ESPN trade machine, but I have no idea why Detroit would make this trade. They've looked great in their first two games and haven't had any problems scoring.

Detroit arguably the best team in the Eastern Conference and should be right in the mix to represent the East during the post-season. I can't imagine Dumars wanting to dump salary this early in the season.

3. RipCity

RipCity JBB JustBBall Member

This would be an awful trade, and I will hate Joe D forever if he does it.

4. Answer_AI03

If i were detroit and could trade Billups for Iverson straight up i would do it in a heartbeat. But if they lose McDyess too they wouldn't have enough to compete. This is all just a rumor that i read on ESPN anyway, so it probably doesn't have much to it. I think the Iverson trade rumors will heat up more as the season progresses and this was a good one that could come back.

5. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

SAS is on my TV right now saying this deal is done and it includes McDyess (who probably won't go to Denver).

6. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

Detroit officially got ripped off. I would understand Billups for Iverson but adding McDyesses was a bit too much. Yeah I know it was to match the salaries, but still, I didn't think a major move was necessary as I thought of Pistons as a conference contending team. An aging Iverson wouldn't exactly help solve any problems.

7. ToddMacCulloch11

ToddMacCulloch11 Who me?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3679931

8. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

ugh, this feels like both teams are taking a step back. Billups is starting to decline and I don't see him being able to guard PG's like he once did.

AI will bring explosive scoring to the Pistons, but what else?

not a great move for either team.

9. RipCity

RipCity JBB JustBBall Member

Yes we know your all on Iversons nuts. It's a horrible trade. You take one of the best floor generals in the league who can also score and replace him with a clown who can't distribute the ball to save his life. We also know that Billups can win, and Iverson cannot.

I
    Hate
    Joe
    Dumars

:banghead:

10. The Dream

The Dream mama there goes that man!

I think both teams needed it. Billups was on the decline and neither team was going to do anything of any significant with their current rosters....Stuckey will get more time, and you can play small ball with Stuckey, AI, RIP, Tayshaun, and Wallace/Maxiell....Denver finally gets a pg that they need, a guy with experience, and a another big man in Mcdyess (that's if he stays in Denver...if he doesn't Miami or Cleveland needs to reach out and pick him up immediately).......

what???? the guy took a team of scrubs to the finals and was a former MVP, scoring champ, etc....granted he's past his prime, but to imply that the man is a loser is a tad harsh imo..........

11. Answer_AI03

your a typical detroit fan who is still living in the championship days when the pistons gave a shit. Iverson wants a ring badly and is going to be the spark to lead them in the playoffs. "Mr. Bigshot" is declining a lot faster than AI, and isn't a good fit in Detroit anymore. I admit that Mcdyss was a steep price, but who knows whats happening with him. The initial report said he won't be going to denver, so he could be bought out and return to detroit. I can't wait until the pistons are contending with Boston for the best record in the league, and your saying what a great trade it was.

12. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

The Pistons were playing small ball already with a 3-guard lineup and having success at it. Dumars is clearing cap room with this move and Iverson is a rental for the Pistons.

Moving McDyess makes sense because they wanted to free up more minutes for Maxiell.

I don't like this trade for the Pistons this early in the season.

13. bball guru

bball guru JBB JustBBall Member

i don't understand, why wouldn't pistons want iverson? i mean statistically speaking he's better in every category. granted, you don't have the leadership of billups, or playoff experience, but i think that is made up with in other categories. as someone already stated, this does free up room for jason maxiell

14. Answer_AI03

no this frees up cap room for 2010 when the pistons can potentially go after both Lebron and Bosh

15. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

I like this trade. Carmelo gets a pass first PG (more or less) who is willing to put the team first. Billups has mad experience and he can bring a lot to Denver. Iverson is still a very good player. He'll be there number 1 option, and he'll surprise a lot of Detroit fans.

16. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

What was the point of not doing this in the offseason? I actually think that Iverson is an upgrade, but the loss of depth at the pf/c position in Dice is what makes me question this trade.

17. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

what I don't get on the Nuggest part.. is if they were contemplating making this move in the summer.. why trade away Camby?? Wouldn't having Camby and Billups shore up the defense quite a bit? Having one or the other is not enough to compensate for the rest of the defensive stiffs on the team. IMO this makes the Nuggets look directionless.

18. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

I agree. Also Chauncey is 32 now and has 3 more yrs on his contract worth over 50mil. So where are they going?

19. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Like Shape said, it's too early for this move.

I understand Dumars wanted a shakeup since the Pistons failed to repeat, but Iverson will only disrupt 5 years of chemistry. This move might be genius depending on who they are able to sign with the extra cap space next year. Does anyone know how the FA class is looking this summer?

From the Nuggets perspective, I don't see anything changing. Billups is a scoring guard, though he isn't as prolific as Iverson. Conversely, he's the better PG and defender. I also don't know how McDyess will fit into the mix. As was mentioned, both teams don't seem to improve with this move.

20. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

McDyess won't suit up for Denver based on what I'm hearing.