Iverson Vows To Change

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by Avery, Oct 4, 2004.

1. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">And I don't think it would be possible for any member of the USA team to average 30 ppg over the entire olympics. Think about it.
    </div>
    I never said it was possible,but if it did happen and AI was the one who accomlplished it,you would still have something negative to say about it.

Part of the blame should go on Iverson but he did his job,so I dont bealive you can place barely any blame on him,all the young players who surrounded Iverson said he was amazing and how much leadership quality he had,Iverson is getting older,and with that comes maturity.

2. TheREALAnswer3

TheREALAnswer3 BBW Member

Iverson was the only one that really did his job the way he was supposed to do it was him and Tim Duncan against all of the other international teams..all the other pussied out so couldnt you blame them for not coming? oh no everyone has to blame iverson..just because he is the easiest to pin it on.correct? is it because of his cornrows? or what you must have some head problems...lets see..it was all Lebrons fault he didnt do anything he dunked on one dude wow but noone blames him for the loss but oh no AI showed up everygame ready to play and averaged 10+ and had a good deal of assist correct me if im wrong..and Carmello didnt really do anything so i would say you could blame him too right? and what about stephon marbury? what did he do...oh yeah one good game..and thats it..Im getting so sick of everyone blaming Iverson for the loss in the olympics..i bet if michael jordan was on that team no one would have said shit about him..because he is the poster child for the NBA..but on the other hand Iverson is a "Thug" with tattoos and cornrows....so you know who the NBA and fans would blame dont you? god im tired of wasting my time with people that are so closed minded its not funny...MY POINT BEING IVERSON IS NOT TO BLAME FOR THAT!!!

and i think Iversons change will be good now that he is more experience he will be able to take control of the team and be the leader that we all want..and i think we have a good chance in the East if he keeps his word..

3. TimmyGinobili

TimmyGinobili JBB JustBBall Member

I doubt it. Its not going to happen but he could prove me wrong.

4. Mr.Wade

Mr.Wade JBB The Canadian Dream

Well the Pacers fan who's bashing Iverson... at least he played in the Olympics unlike your Franchise player who was too busy getting married and going on a honeymoon rather than representing his country and what he believes in... Jermaine could've postponed the wedding to next summer if he had any patriosim, but I guess he doesn't. So he should take more blame of USA losing then the players that actually played, because the players that were in Athens played their hearts out while other players were on their asses watching tv or sleeping with their wives...

5. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

<font color="DarkRed">(Content edited: I agree, but you need to find a better way (within JBB rules) to express it.)</font>

My bad. It was just kind of taken aback by the stupidity in his statement. I'll try to stop cussing in future posts.

6. hagrid

hagrid JBB JustBBall Member

Mr. Wade:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Jermaine could've postponed the wedding to next summer if he had any patriosim, but I guess he doesn't.</div>

That easily constitutes one of the most ludicrous statements I've ever read on these boards.

If you're married, it speaks poorly towards your mate and your commitment towards her/him.

If you're not married (which I'm betting is the case), when you finally do tie the knot you'll realize how silly your comment was.

These guys aren't going to war. It's basketball. There's nothing unpatriotic about putting your marriage as a priority over playing basketball, particularly since there were plenty of other players who provided much less substantial reasons for not playing. [​IMG]

7. Avery

Avery JBB IDIOT!! GOSH!!!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">You guys are only looking at the positive, and potential. You are ignoring the fact that AI led the league in turnovers per game at 4.35. Yeah he averaged 6.8 assists, but his assist to turnover ration is 1.56......horrible.

Also, AI was 19 in OVERALL TURNOVERS with 209. He only played 48 games!! He was 19th in total turnovers after playing half a season!! Image if he had played the whole year!

Now that he's a pg he'll be turning the ball over even more.</div>

Good Points ^. However, now that he will play the PG, the ball will be in his hands at the get go. That means he won't have to run around screens in which he will get the ball and then decide what to do? Score or Pass? Now that he has the ball in his hands from the beginning he won't have to try and force anything because he could take his time and decide what he will do in this possession as well as the next one. Also, you mentioned the fact of him playing only half a season. This is yet another reason which is why he averaged a career high in turnovers. When he keeps getting an injury after another it's hard for him or anyone for that matter to stay on top of their game and be consistent at what they do.

But I'm not going to be all bias about this issue and stick up for him all the way. Allen Iverson over dribbles. If you watched him in the Olympics you could clearly make that judgment. Along with the injuries this is one of the primary reasons why he had a career high in turnovers. Other than the fact of him over dribbling I don't see another reason on his on why he had such a tough time taking care of the ball.

8. TimmyGinobili

TimmyGinobili JBB JustBBall Member

the best point is he's out for himself. He doesn't have what it takes to be a winner or to make his teamates better. Its the aspect that seperates a good player from a great player.

9. celtfan

celtfan JBB JustBBall Member

I'm not sure about all the doubters out there. While I'm hoping for the C's to take the Atlantic, I honestly think that AI has real potential at the point.

He has matured since his rookie days. And every time I watch him play on a team with lots of talent, like in the All-Star games and international competition, he is very un-selfish. The sixers have had trouble in the past finding other scorerers to complement AI, and he still averaged close to 7 assists at the 2 spot. I think that if their young players pan out, they may have enough scoring options for AI to start really moving the ball.

I mean, am I the only one that remembers last season's All Star Game? Seems like he was going to break the all time All-Star assist record. If he puts his mind to it, I can see him leading the league in assists, or at least giving it a genuine shot.

One problem, as someone pointed out, is that he may also lead the L in turnovers.

10. Avery

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">the best point is he's out for himself. He doesn't have what it takes to be a winner or to make his teamates better. Its the aspect that seperates a good player from a great player.</div>

Wow. This is the first I ever heard this one. Allen Iverson doesn't have what it takes to be a winner or make his teammates better? Let me tell you, Allen Iverson is arguably the most competitive player in the NBA. And believe me, there hasn't been more of a competitive player like Iverson till Jordan era came to an end in ?98. Iverson heart and willingness to win is what separates him from many of the NBA brightest stars. At his size and stature do you ever think he would be this good based only on overall skill and talent? To answer that question, the answer is no. Some people say all Iverson does is takes 50 shots per game and shots a low percentage. But it?s funny that he still manages to make the NBA Finals and gather up one award after another. And to say that he doesn?t have what it takes is completely ludicrous.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">If he puts his mind to it, I can see him leading the league in assists, or at least giving it a genuine shot.</div>

This actually one his goals for this upcoming season.

11. AllBoutDaPacers

AllBoutDaPacers JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Mr.Wade:</div><div class="quote_post">Well the Pacers fan who's bashing Iverson... at least he played in the Olympics unlike your Franchise player who was too busy getting married and going on a honeymoon rather than representing his country and what he believes in... Jermaine could've postponed the wedding to next summer if he had any patriosim, but I guess he doesn't. So he should take more blame of USA losing then the players that actually played, because the players that were in Athens played their hearts out while other players were on their asses watching tv or sleeping with their wives...</div>

You are right at least Iverson played. It was actually good that he did because there was no chance for him to lock his wife outside of his house naked while in Athens. I guess putting your woman above your profession is completely wrong but disrespecting her is right. My moral compass must have been wrong my entire life. Mr. Wade, thank you for showing me the light.

12. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllBoutDaPacers:</div><div class="quote_post">You are right at least Iverson played. It was actually good that he did because there was no chance for him to lock his wife outside of his house naked while in Athens. I guess putting your woman above your profession is completely wrong but disrespecting her is right. My moral compass must have been wrong my entire life. Mr. Wade, thank you for showing me the light.</div>

I agree 100%

I'm sorry Mr. Wade, but you just got [​IMG]

13. AllBoutDaPacers

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Avery:</div><div class="quote_post">Wow. This is the first I ever heard this one. Allen Iverson doesn't have what it takes to be a winner or make his teammates better? Let me tell you, Allen Iverson is arguably the most competitive player in the NBA. And believe me, there hasn't been more of a competitive player like Iverson till Jordan era came to an end in ?98. Iverson heart and willingness to win is what separates him from many of the NBA brightest stars. At his size and stature do you ever think he would be this good based only on overall skill and talent? To answer that question, the answer is no. Some people say all Iverson does is takes 50 shots per game and shots a low percentage. But it?s funny that he still manages to make the NBA Finals and gather up one award after another. And to say that he doesn?t have what it takes is completely ludicrous.

This actually one his goals for this upcoming season.</div>

Do you remember the Sixers-Lakers finals? I do. They only won game one. I remember how in the post game interview how Iverson started talking about how everyone thought they would get swept. All that big talk and then to lose the next four games. Amazing. Some people say he takes 50 shot per and shoots a poor percentage. I am one of those people but guess what? The numbers say the exact same thing. Who cares if you are scoring champ or MVP because 10 years after Iverson retires and is the subject of a sports conversation, people will talk about how he didn't win a championship and how he didn't have what it took to win. You can have heart and skill and all that shat but it wont matter because people won't remember that stuff. Take Ewing. No 'ship. Reggie is not gonna get a 'ship and sure we'll remember his 3 point shot but also that he couldn't get the job done in the playoffs. Barkley, Stocton, Malone, all their careers will be tainted by not winning that championship even if it is not important to them. So just so you know, all those shatty awards that he has mean nothing because he is selfish and can't play with a team. He needs to quit and join And 1 because that is tricks seem most important to him.

14. B.e.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Do you remember the Sixers-Lakers finals? I do. They only won game one. I remember how in the post game interview how Iverson started talking about how everyone thought they would get swept. All that big talk and then to lose the next four games. Amazing.</div>
    Even if he did talk big why not?The Sixers won one game when the rest of the world said they would win none,even though it didnt really matter is obviuosly meant something to him,because he is always proving people wrong.

Also you pointed out what he said in the press confrence,but did you see the locker room footage when Allen was telling the team that the win ment nothing and they still had a long way to go?No,but of course you point out what he said in an interview.

We know that Allens awards dont matter because he doesnt have a ring.But thats not the point your trying to make in your posts bashing him.

All you do is talk about how selfish he is and all that,do you point out the good things he has accomplished in his career,no.All you are doing is bashing him like his game is worthless,so if all of this is about a ring,you should bash all the other hall of famers like Ewing,Barkley,Malone,Stockton and all of them also since they dont have rings also.

15. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Silky Smooth:</div><div class="quote_post">All you do is talk about how selfish he is and all that,do you point out the good things he has accomplished in his career,no.All you are doing is bashing him like his game is worthless,so if all of this is about a ring,you should bash all the other hall of famers like Ewing,Barkley,Malone,Stockton and all of them also since they dont have rings also.</div>

That doesn't even make sense. Why should he bash John Stockton? John Stockton was NEVER selfish, he is the all time assist leader! He didn't win a ring because he went up against MJ, a player who never lost in the finals. AI only went up against the Lakers, a team that has since proven that they are not invicible.

Those other HOFers weren't necessarily selfish, and they could all shoot the ball. Players like AI and Steve Francis, just want to make sportscenter's top 10. I swear, AI would rather win a "Play of the Year" award from ESPN than win an NBA championship. [​IMG]

16. B.e.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Players like AI and Steve Francis, just want to make sportscenter's top 10. I swear, AI would rather win a "Play of the Year" award from ESPN than win an NBA championship. </div>

Thats why he goes out everynight and drives through the lane in to huge defenders when he is only 165 pounds at most,yeh he is really trying to make Sportscenter with that and thats what AI does a lot of the time offensivley.

AI doesnt care about stats or awards anymore,thats why he sacrifices his body every night and plays through injuries.He is a much different player then he was in his early seasons.He isnt the same flambouyant rookie who crossed almost everyone in the leauge anymore.What you say doesnt make any sense,AI is 29 years old and he knows that his highlight reel plays are way behind him.

At this point in his career all Allen cares about is winning games,he shows up to practice everyday and he is still determined to win a ring and he isnt going to sell out to another team to try and get one.Thats why next offseason with the Sixers having cap space they will be able to sign another superstar to help out the team and AI.

17. Avery

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Do you remember the Sixers-Lakers finals? I do. They only won game one. I remember how in the post game interview how Iverson started talking about how everyone thought they would get swept. All that big talk and then to lose the next four games. Amazing. Some people say he takes 50 shot per and shoots a poor percentage. I am one of those people but guess what? The numbers say the exact same thing.</div>

What big talk? Yes, it?s true everyone expect the 76ers to get swept because they were obviously major underdogs in that series. They had two superstars against one, and basically it was just a lopsided match up. First let me say that I?m aware of winning one game isn?t as impressive of not getting swept. But the fact is that they did NOT get swept like it or not. And the big talk that you speak of is complete nonsense. Iverson never indicated that he was going to win the series or win the following game. He just said that how everyone though they were going too get wept and they didn?t. He just made all the doubters eat their words, including me, because personally I though they were going to get swept as well.

However, for the 76ers to win the series against LA was almost impossible, but they gave it their all and that?s what mattered. Iverson which is the 76ers main attraction was coming off of two consecutive Game 7 series and don?t you think he would be little fatigued? He?s only 6-feet tall and 165 pound soaking wet. But then again, I?m not going completely to use that at his defense. However, you must to give the Allen Iverson and the 76ers credit for making in this far anyways. Whether you like or dislike a player/team you have to give credit where it?s due and that?s something I believe is not in you?re spectrum especially when it?s concerning Iverson. When they came out victorious in Game 1, I was stunned and I?m sure you were as well, the whole world was stunned basically. Not a damn soul expected them to get win a game in LA especially, but they did.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Who cares if you are scoring champ or MVP because 10 years after Iverson retires and is the subject of a sports conversation, people will talk about how he didn't win a championship and how he didn't have what it took to win. You can have heart and skill and all that shat but it wont matter because people won't remember that stuff. Take Ewing. No 'ship. Reggie is not gonna get a 'ship and sure we'll remember his 3 point shot but also that he couldn't get the job done in the playoffs. Barkley, Stocton, Malone, all their careers will be tainted by not winning that championship even if it is not important to them. So just so you know, all those shatty awards that he has mean nothing because he is selfish and can't play with a team. He needs to quit and join And 1 because that is tricks seem most important to him.</div>

As for people remembering Iverson for basically ?nothing? is completely wrong. But let me say from a non-bias standpoint.

Iverson will be remembered as one of the greatest little guys of all time no questions asked. Many people say that Iverson gives them shades of Isiah Thomas in terms of dedication, courage and heart. Heck, Isiah Thomas says that he sees himself in Iverson and Thomas was actually interested in recruiting Iverson to the Knicks but that?s a different story. But, if you look at Iverson career and accomplishments all he is missing is a ring. His career is pretty much complete and no matter how shady or cheesy some of these awards may be to you, the fact is that he worked for it and he got it. And yet the only ting that he is missing is a ring.

But let?s say Iverson doesn?t get a ring by the time he retires. He?s in the same boat as John Stockton despite their differences. While many don?t remember John Stockton for not winning a ring instead people remembers him for his greatness that doesn?t change the fact that he?s ring-less. Iverson on the other hand is a great player, but his greatness doesn?t/wouldn?t overshadow the fact of him being ring-less like John Stockton. You say that Iverson is ?selfish and can't play with a team?, but I can easily say the same thing about John Stockton even though it?s not true. Why? Stockton doesn?t have a ring. Judging from you?re post you seem to be criticizing Iverson in a negative way because he?s ring-less. And looking at his(Iverson) accomplishments not having a ring is the only thing you could hold against him and therefore that is why you say he doesn?t have what it takes to win etc. Well that I what I believe at least.

18. AllBoutDaPacers

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Avery:</div><div class="quote_post"> Iverson will be remembered as one of the greatest little guys of all time no questions asked. Many people say that Iverson gives them shades of Isiah Thomas in terms of dedication, courage and heart. Heck, Isiah Thomas says that he sees himself in Iverson and Thomas was actually interested in recruiting Iverson to the Knicks but that?s a different story. But, if you look at Iverson career and accomplishments all he is missing is a ring. His career is pretty much complete and no matter how shady or cheesy some of these awards may be to you, the fact is that he worked for it and he got it. And yet the only ting that he is missing is a ring.</div>

Are you serious??? This is the same guy who when he skipped practice and his coach wouldn't let him start he acted like it wasn't a big deal. He said, "We're talking about practice." I know you remember that. Please explain how that shows dedication. Also tell me what courageous thing Iverson has done? Locking your wife outside of your house naked is not courageous. I guess shooting under 42 percent and turning the ball over 3.64 times per game over your career and considering yourself one of the top players in the league takes courage.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Avery:</div><div class="quote_post">But let?s say Iverson doesn?t get a ring by the time he retires. He?s in the same boat as John Stockton despite their differences. While many don?t remember John Stockton for not winning a ring instead people remembers him for his greatness that doesn?t change the fact that he?s ring-less. Iverson on the other hand is a great player, but his greatness doesn?t/wouldn?t overshadow the fact of him being ring-less like John Stockton. You say that Iverson is ?selfish and can't play with a team?, but I can easily say the same thing about John Stockton even though it?s not true. Why? Stockton doesn?t have a ring. Judging from you?re post you seem to be criticizing Iverson in a negative way because he?s ring-less. And looking at his(Iverson) accomplishments not having a ring is the only thing you could hold against him and therefore that is why you say he doesn?t have what it takes to win etc. Well that I what I believe at least.</div>

You would have to be out of your mind to call Stockton selfish under any circumstance. There is a difference between making an argument and making a valid argument. I never said that because a hall of famer didn't have a ring they were automatically selfish. Ewing was not selfish, he just was injured all of the time. Barkley, Stockton, Malone, R. Miller etc. just came up against better players in Jordan and Pippen. I want to respect your arguments but when you say stuff like that it is impossible for me to.

19. 30 standing ver

30 standing ver JBB JustBBall Member

Damn it took me awhile to scroll down to quick reply but anyways I seen his interview and he was saying that he was in shocked about some people while playing in the olympics. I guess he experienced the worst attitudes in the league I guess.

I think this will probaly be AI's last superstar season, but definately better then last season. I think he may average 30 points again from the way he was talking but shooting good percentages hopefully. Get tired of seeing that 7 for 21 stat sheet on espn which seems like almost every game. Just wanna see maybe 10 50% shooting games this year.

20. B.e.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Are you serious??? This is the same guy who when he skipped practice and his coach wouldn't let him start he acted like it wasn't a big deal. He said, "We're talking about practice." I know you remember that. Please explain how that shows dedication. Also tell me what courageous thing Iverson has done? Locking your wife outside of your house naked is not courageous. I guess shooting under 42 percent and turning the ball over 3.64 times per game over your career and considering yourself one of the top players in the league takes courage.</div>

Allen Iverson of course was a troubled young player in the NBA,that has nothing to do with who he is on the court.Avery is refering to all the courage and heart AI plays with when he steps on the court.It has nothing to do with his off court life or anything.

So even though your making coments about his life off the court it has nothing to say about what kind of player he is.