James, Baker, Norris To Houston, Farewell Mo/Reece

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by AznxBaller, Feb 24, 2005.

1. BritKid420

BritKid420 JBB JustBBall Member

Easy man....I don't think the trade is that great, but I'm sure it doesn't kill the future of the houston rockets. I'm thinking Dawson will have some type of plan to aquire a draft pick(s) in the offseason. This is a financial trade pure and simple. Isiah Thomas is the only GM in basketball who doesn't mind adding Mo Taylor's salary to his already bloated payroll, and the Rockets needed to seize the opportunity. The rest is semantics....the 2 objectives were to dump Mo and get a pg. Done and done. Besides...now you get to see Moochie Norris' 30 different hairstyles for the rest of the season. I like the 'just woke up fro'...but thats me.

2. T-Clutch-Mac

T-Clutch-Mac JBB JustBBall Member

I disagree that it ruins our future however. And with a posotive outlook after ive thought about it, Mo Taylor had a few more years on that ridiculous contract. Baker and Moochie's contrats are up at the end of next season....so MoT's contract no longer handcuffs our future. Thumbs up for that alone.

3. cheen0

cheen0 JBB JustBBall Member

when was the last time we had a first round draft pick? i cant seem to remember

4. chineseafro

chineseafro JBB JustBBall Member

5. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- JBB The Same One

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting cheen0:</div><div class="quote_post">when was the last time we had a first round draft pick? i cant seem to remember</div>

since 2002 1 Overall for Yao, 15 for Nachbar

6. Sniper

Sniper JBB Long Range Assassin

Settle down about that second trade you guys. Moochie's contract (although big for him) is not big, at about 4 mil per year over the next 2 seasons. That's the same amount of time we WOULD be paying Maurice Taylor 9 mil. Vin's contract is only through next year at about 3 mil. So we traded 27 million over 3 years away for about 19 million over 3 years. That's GOOD. Not to mention these guys will actually give us minutes, unlike Maurice who was rotting on the bench.

But best of all:

WE GOT RID OF MAURICE TAYLOR!

Regarding the other trade, Zendon Hamilton may not be that great, but he has a great rebound per minute average at about .33 per minute. Meaning, if he got 25 minutes, he'd pull in over 8 rebounds. He's also an aggressive defender, and he's got 6 more fouls to use down low. He can play backup center if for any reason Dikembe or Yao have an injury *knocks on wood*.

I'm very pleased with today's transactions.

There's also a rumor that Payton will be waived by Atlanta and that would open the door for the Rockets to make a move. Unfortunately he would have to clear waivers with all the teams with worse records than us first...which is quite a few.

7. JuLiO-R-

Rockets aren't going to keep Zendon Hamilton. From what I hear he's going to be waived.

8. drm2dnk

drm2dnk JBB JustBBall Member

I don;t think our first round pick would be that high anyways. I'm excited about the MJ trade but moochie norris...ermm.. we already have clutch the bear.[​IMG]

9. drm2dnk

I just read on the Rockets homepage..the NYK got Mo taylor, and a future 2nd Round Draft Pick. Not 1st like what you guys said. I don't know what the knicks are thinking but Mo taylor might not be that bad in the east LOL..so the knicks took the risk. OH btw sniper, the chron reported that Hamilton will be released to make the deal work financially.

10. Eduardo

Eduardo JBB JustBBall Member

Zendon was waived. I also read from CF that we aren't giving up a 1st round pick after all. Stupid EPSN.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Rockets made the point guard move early in the day, landing Mike James for Reece Gaines and two second round draft picks, then followed that up with a salary dump, shipping Mo Taylor to the Knicks for Moochie Norris, Vin Baker and a second-round draft pick. It was incorrectly reported by ESPN that the Rockets would be giving up a first-round pick in the Taylor deal, but not only do they not give up that pick, but they get a second-rounder from the Knicks.</div>

Anway..I too am sooper excited for Mike James! I like his style of play and the energy he can bring to the team. Once Sura is healthy, Mike would be a great back up. Baker would probably be Juwan's backup and I think he'll do a pretty decent job. On the other hand, we currently have 5 point guards in the roster. 5??? Barret, Sura, Ward, Mike James, Moochie. Jesus, man..I say get rid of Ward and Moochie

11. KleinBaller08

KleinBaller08 JBB JustBBall Member

I screamed when I heard mike james was coming here, very good trade hes gonna help alot. The second trade is ok, not a big moochie fan but I think Vin Baker might help, remember people were saying before that McDyess was washed up but hes been producing this season, we'll have to see.

12. Mag

Mag JBB MacBeth

Fantastic Trades by the Rockets. It has been confirmed that a First Round pick was not given (CF -- 610 reported we got a 2nd from them, according to the BBS). This leaves us with almost 10 million dollars of cap room next year, some will be used to resign Barry/Wesley/Deke, I expect Barry to retire though. When Sura Comes back, I would expect him to start at the 2 guard, and move Wesley to the Bench. A bench of Baker, Wesley, Barry, Padgett and Deke looks ok to me. James is a great talent, I am shocked that we got him.

I do expect Barrett to be waived.

In order for the Mike James deal to be worked out, we either gave up part of our TE, or we had enough cap room to get James, which is very possible because New York took a HUGE part of our Salary, for cheaper contracts.

If we do have our TE, and our First, wouldn't be suprised to see a PF joining us via trade next season.

CD just proved he's still one of the elite GMs in the league.

13. JuLiO-R-

According to CF we did use some of our TE in the Mike James deal.As for the Mo Taylor trade it looks like this.

Knicks Get: Mo Taylor
    Houston Gets: Vin Baker / Moochie Norris / Second Round Pick

This makes the hou/ny trade look alot better.

14. drm2dnk

How come I heard from some1 who heard Isiah Thomas say he was happy with getting Mo Taylor and Malick (Badiane) on TNT !!! [​IMG] LoL Just kidding Malik Rose [​IMG]

15. Eduardo

I wouldn't want to waive Barrett, I still think he could be a third option at the point and who knows how much better he can still get? I say get rid of Ward and Moochie man..waste of roster space

16. JuLiO-R-

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting drm2dnk:</div><div class="quote_post">How come I heard from some1 who heard Isiah Thomas say he was happy with getting Mo Taylor and Malick (Badiane) on TNT !!! [​IMG]</div>

Because Mo is a good player. Beleive it or not but he once averaged 17.1 ppg back in 2000 with the Clippers. Hes very capable of being a good player on the right team. He did good last year for us but this year hes not been playing well at all. Im happy to see Mo Taylor move on with his career and not waste it all on the bench.

17. Eduardo

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">How come I heard from some1 who heard Isiah Thomas say he was happy with getting Mo Taylor and Malick (Badiane) on TNT !!! [​IMG]</div>

Whaat??? Badiane is ours!! nooo that can't be true

18. drm2dnk

Malik Rose [​IMG] not malik badiane!

19. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Guys, please leave Clutchfans off your posts, use CF or something else instead. We don't want spam on the boards.

As for the trade, I'm very happy that we basically gave up just two benchwarmers, three virtually useless second picks and got a great player and two 10mpg guys in return. This has been one of the best days for this organization so far.

20. Eduardo

I hate you drm2dnk [​IMG] The Spurs are gonna be even deadlier with Nazr..Jesus man its almost certain these guys are gonna get to the finals again. Poor Rasho, probably going to lose his starting position to Nazr.