JBB's Official Member Mock Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by wtwalker77, Jun 11, 2004.

1. hagrid

hagrid JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">An instant scorer is really what they need in their first NBA season.</div>

I disagree, but it's because of concept differences. Expansion teams are meant to struggle because they have to build from the ground up. In doing so, you find a pg that can lead a team, be a floor general, not simply find someone who potentially can lead a team in scoring. They'll likely fill that need in the expansion draft.

2. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hagrid:</div><div class="quote_post">I disagree, but it's because of concept differences. Expansion teams are meant to struggle because they have to build from the ground up. In doing so, you find a pg that can lead a team, be a floor general, not simply find someone who potentially can lead a team in scoring. They'll likely fill that need in the expansion draft.</div>

Charlotte won't find any player that can become a scorer from the expansion draft, certainly not guys who come cheap. They will struggle for points next year no matter who they pick but selecting Gordon would give them better options. He can play the point, is actually a good passer but has that shooting mentality. Obviously he will need to improve his Assist to Turnover ratio but I'm sure that shouldn't be a problem.

He's a great prospect and I feel whoever overlooks him will regret It later down the road.

Charlotte as I said seem very high in Livingston who is going to be a very good point guard in a few years, so he will be the safest bet.

3. hagrid

hagrid JBB JustBBall Member

Fair enough. I still don't agree, but again, it's building concepts that get in the way, so we may as well move on.

4. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">Charlotte won't find any player that can become a scorer from the expansion draft, certainly not guys who come cheap. They will struggle for points next year no matter who they pick but selecting Gordon would give them better options. He can play the point, is actually a good passer but has that shooting mentality. Obviously he will need to improve his Assist to Turnover ratio but I'm sure that shouldn't be a problem.

He's a great prospect and I feel whoever overlooks him will regret It later down the road.

Charlotte as I said seem very high in Livingston who is going to be a very good point guard in a few years, so he will be the safest bet.</div>
    Stackhouse costs 7 million, and I've already looked at a mock expansion draft with him on the roster and they still have 11 million for about 3-4 free agents, so they <u>could</u> (not will) get a scorer from the expansion draft.

5. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Stack still has 3 more years on his deal with a total of 22 million. I somehow don't expect Charlotte to take a guy with that kind of contract and knowing the injury problems he had this year and the sole fact he isn't getting any better due to age. They could take him but It wouldn't be very smart.

6. wtwalker77

wtwalker77 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">Charlotte won't find any player that can become a scorer from the expansion draft, certainly not guys who come cheap. They will struggle for points next year no matter who they pick but selecting Gordon would give them better options. He can play the point, is actually a good passer but has that shooting mentality. Obviously he will need to improve his Assist to Turnover ratio but I'm sure that shouldn't be a problem.

Charlotte as I said seem very high in Livingston who is going to be a very good point guard in a few years, so he will be the safest bet.</div>

Two points:

1. Charlotte may not find a pure scorer in the expansion draft, but they can sure find one during free agency. Jamaal Crawford, Flip Murray, and Quentin Richardson quickly come to mind. Gordon Giricek is another possibility. And if they did want a scorer in the expansion draft, they could take Antoine Walker.

2. Since when has Charlotte said they were high on Livingston? Now GM's comments are certainly open to interpretation, but I don't see how anyone can interpret Bickerstaff's comment that, "the Bobcats do not want to take a highschooler," as seeming high on Livingston.

7. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Flip Murray is not a free-agent, If he was I'm sure there would be more press about him considering the season he had this year. While Both Jamal Crawford and Q Richardson are restricted free-agents and I don't really expect them to go anywhere

Charlotte wouldn't consider Antonie Walker purely because of his terrible contract. As mentioned they refuse to take on guys with big contracts.

As for Livingston from what I've heard they do have interest in him, purely because he is a very big point guard who will cause all kind of match-up problems for other teams. He is also expected to be an excellent player in a few years.

It all depends how the rest of the workouts go, Livingston would be their best option. No matter what has been said so far. It would be a mistake passing him up.

8. og15

og15 JBB *********

Yea a few days ago in the Chatlotte Observer he was saying that they want to give Livingston another chance because players like him don't come around every draft.
    Swingmen like they say are a dime a dozen, but a 6'7 PG with great PG skills and amazing court vision isn't going to come around so often, so they don't want to pass up on him.

9. wtwalker77

My bad on Flip, I was misreading my info on him.

As for Livingston, is this the article you're refering too:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">1. Shaun Livingston deserves a long look: Several people -- both scouts and media -- asked me why there isn't more buzz about Livingston in Charlotte.

The Bobcats are interested in Livingston; they worked out Livingston, a 6-foot-7 point guard, in Chicago and hope to audition him again in Charlotte. But they've also hinted at misgivings about Livingston's skinny body and limited shooting range, and the general idea of choosing a high school kid with the franchise's first-ever pick.

Here's the alternative view from two scouts I know: Livingston is a unique talent in this draft. Guys this tall, with genuine point-guard gifts and a sophisticated understanding of the game, come along once a decade. So live with his growing pains to capture that potential.

One of these guys put it this way: Josh Childress and Luol Deng (who will work out for the Bobcats on Tuesday) are safer picks, but players like them are available in every draft. Livingston won't be.

I hear the Los Angeles Clippers are intrigued by Livingston, so if they trade down from No. 2 to Atlanta's No. 6 pick, he could be their target.</div>
    http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...ats/8908222.htm

If so, I'd hardly call that high on him. I'd call that the Bobcats doing their due dilligence on a player nearly everyone already thinks they should pick.

10. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

^That quote doesn't make them any higher on Childress or Deng either. No one said that Livingston was in good graces with the Bobcats management but what we can say is that they are very interested in this young kid and to draft him they would be taking a chance. One that can make them a great team or a horrible team.

11. wtwalker77

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CourtVision:</div><div class="quote_post">^That quote doesn't make them any higher on Childress or Deng either. No one said that Livingston was in good graces with the Bobcats management but what we can say is that they are very interested in this young kid and to draft him they would be taking a chance. One that can make them a great team or a horrible team.</div>

I never said it did. I was merely responding to Allnet's assertion that Charlotte was interested in Livingston. Personally, I think Livingston is the guy they should take, whether its for themselves or as part of a deal with LAC to get Howard. I AGREE with you guys that it would probably be a mistake to pass up on him, especially for a guy who I can't stand (Childress).

Now, if you want me to post a bunch of quotes from reporters who have had Bickerstaff indicate to them that he doesn't want to take a high schooler and that he's high on Livingston, I can do that. But before I do, I would like to see one quote from you guys that indicates that Bickerstaff actually favors Livingston as a potential pick, not just a guy they're bringing in to workout because he's a top 5 pick.

Just face it mods, og15, hagrid, and I rule...its better if you guys go ahead and admit it now rather than be forced to do it on the 24th. [​IMG]

12. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting wtwalker77:</div><div class="quote_post">I never said it did. I was merely responding to Allnet's assertion that Charlotte was interested in Livingston. Personally, I think Livingston is the guy they should take, whether its for themselves or as part of a deal with LAC to get Howard. I AGREE with you guys that it would probably be a mistake to pass up on him, especially for a guy who I can't stand (Childress).</div>

Maybe "high" was too strong a word but from what I've been told they are still interested in picking him no matter what some of the articles have stated. They don't seem that a highschooler is the answer but he has the kind of skills that they feel needs to be considered. They still have an eye on him, As I stated they may likely not pick him but he would be a safe bet for that franchise.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Just face it mods, og15, hagrid, and I rule...its better if you guys go ahead and admit it now rather than be forced to do it on the 24th. [​IMG]</div>

You're like the Miami Heat, very talented players who are on the rise but not quite on the level of the big boys [​IMG]

13. wtwalker77

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">You're like the Miami Heat, very talented players who are on the rise but not quite on the level of the big boys [​IMG]</div>

Funny, I saw this as more of a Lakers/Pistons thing...

14. og15

og15 JBB *********

Me too, we're the underdogs but in the end it will be total domination but us [​IMG]

15. CUSA Fan

CUSA Fan JBB JustBBall Member

Hate to say it, I think the mods got you in this one...

16. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">You're like the Miami Heat, very talented players who are on the rise but not quite on the level of the big boys [​IMG]</div>
    I was thinking they are more like the Grizzlies <font size="1">(good bench and solid players but not ready to take it to the next level yet)</font> but the Heat is a nice comparison too.

Mod's Rule! [​IMG] :thumbsup:

17. wtwalker77

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MainEvent:</div><div class="quote_post">Hate to say it, I think the mods got you in this one...</div>

Thanks for your support fellow justbball member...

...you just made the list buddy... [​IMG]

18. pillagers

pillagers JBB JustBBall Member

Everyone agrees picks 1-3 will be Okafor, Howard, Deng.
    Pick #4- Shaun Livingston- Charlotte does not need production in their first year becasue no one expects anything in them. They take the player with the most potential and the most unique player. By unique I mean there is almost no one in the league comparable to Livingston (a huge PG). If the Bobcats do not take Childress or Igoudala, or whoever, they can simply pick a comparable player next year. If they pass on Livingston there will be no one comparable to get instead of him.
    Pick #5- Andre Iguodala- The Wizards could really use a PF/C to play along side Kwame, but there is no one availible at pick 5 (it would be best for the Wizards to trade up to get Howard or Emeka, or down to get Biedrins or Jefferson). If the Wiz stay at pick five they will take a SF to split minutes with Hayes, instead of picking a guard, like Gordon or Harris, because they already have Arenas and Hughes.
    Pick #6- Josh Childress- The Hawks could pretty much use anyone (besides a PG, they have Terry) so they will take the best non-PG on the board.
    Pick #7- Andris Biedrins- Set at SG, SF, and either PF/C with Johnson, Marion, and Amare, they look to get PG or a PF/C. With Barbosa having a promising year and with Mcdysses becoming an even bigger question mark, the Suns fill the big man spot. Also, with talks of the Suns signing Nash, they will have very little need for a young PG off the bench for they will have Barbosa to do that.
    Pick #8- Ben Gordon- This team needs a PG (Alvin Williams did not look good last year), and with Gordon as the best player of any postion left in the draft, there is no passing up Ben with the 8 pick.
    Pick #9- Luke Jackson- No one knows who is staying and who is leaving the Sixers, so it is pretty much unknown what position the Sixers will go after in the draft. What is known, is that the Sixers will be expected to win games, just like every other year, so they will not take a risky high schooler or foriegn player. The Sixers will probably take Luke Jackson because he is pretty much a sure thing and he can play both the 2 and the 3, so depending on what happens with the Sixers in the offseason, the Sixers know that they have a solid player to start at either SG or SF.
    Pick #10- Josh Smith- The Cavs have no decent SF on the roster, so they look to fill that postion first, and they look no further than this High School standout.

19. wtwalker77

The Member's mock has been updated.

20. wtwalker77

<font size="4"><div align="center"><font color="DarkOrange">****THE MEMBERS MOCK HAS BEEN UPDATED****</font></div></font>