JBB's Official Member Mock Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by wtwalker77, Jun 11, 2004.

1. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

Okay guys. Let's get our last updates before the day of June 24th. After that time I will close both the threads until after the lottery draft to see who is the closest.

2. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    Truthfully, I wouldn't be surprised to see Andris Biedrins reach into the top 10 picks this Thursday.

3. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

Well this is the way I see it now:

Magic: Bit of a stretch, but I think they'll suprise us all and pick Dwight Howard

Clips: I think they'll take Okafor, but here is the catch. Since they seem to be pretty stacked at the 4, what they could possibly do is trade Okafor and one other player for a vertran PG. Just a thought.

Bulls: Luol Deng.

Bobcats: Ben Gordon

Wizards: Andris Beidrins

Hawks: Shaun Livingston

Suns: Pavel Podkolzine (trust me.) [​IMG]

Raptors: Despite his recent bad workouts, I think the Raps will still take Devin Harris.

Sixers: Either Andre Iguodala or Josh Smith.

Cavs: Josh Childress. Nuff Said

Warriors: If Philly doesn't pick him, then Josh Smith.

Sonics: Luke Jackson, he just LOOKS like a Sonics player doesn't he? :mrgreen:

Blazers: A stretch, but I'll say Sebastain "Bassy" Telfair.

Jazz: Just to make things interesting, I'll say Peter John Ramos [​IMG]

Will write my full comments later.

4. og15

og15 JBB *********

The Wizards won't take Biedrins, it's likely to be Iguodala

5. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

Your probably right, but I was just throwing names out there, I probably won't be 100% sure until like an hour before the draft starts, lol.

6. AznInsight

AznInsight JBB JustBBall Member

I think Orlando should go ahead and take Howard, he can really become something special. I see Okafur as just a solid player, but Dwight has far more potential to be a superstar!

7. wtwalker77

wtwalker77 JBB JustBBall Member

I'm not trying to insult anyone here, but why do so many people think the Warriors will take a small forward? The mods have them taking Smith, some members have them taking Smith, but I don't get it. Sure there will probably be a lot of sfs available at #11, especially if Podkolzine and Biedrins are off the board, but the Warriors have to go big unless they're picking for another team.

If I'm Mullin and my choices are a sf like Smith, Snyder, Monya, or Jackson (or even Childress) or a big man like Araujo or Ramos, I'm going big or trading the pick. Mullin knows he's got Richardson, Pietrus, and Dunleavy under contract as sf/sgs. He knows he can probably re-sign Cardinal as well. What he doesn't have for sure is a center. Damp's 50/50 to leave and most of the free agent centers are really power forwards. Araujo and Ramos have the size to be western conference centers and until someone convinces me otherwise, the Warriors are taking one of those four big men (Podkolzine and Biedrins being the other two).

8. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Pavel got his butt handed to him by Peter John Ramos in a recent Seattle work-out, if we are going to go down the path of choosing a project center (God I hope not) one would think it will be Ramos, not Podkolzine. I am hearing strong rumours of Snyder to Seattle before Portland can glove him, too.

9. wtwalker77

Just wanted to let everyone know that LAC and Charlotte have just traded picks, with Charlotte agreeing to take Drobnjak in today's expansion draft.

10. wtwalker77

Just wanted to let everyone know that LAC and Charlotte have just traded picks, with Charlotte agreeing to take Drobnjak in tomorrow's expansion draft.

11. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

So Charlotte is going to have the 2nd pick now?

Never mind. pgrudo just posted it.

12. zonebeast

zonebeast JBB JustBBall Member

i think phila pick luke jackson and cleveland pick josh smith another high school sensation and with the trade of charlotte and lac y think clipers pick pg shaun livingston and bobcats pick dwigth howard to build the offense arround he

13. wtwalker77

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting zonebeast:</div><div class="quote_post">i think phila pick luke jackson and cleveland pick josh smith another high school sensation and with the trade of charlotte and lac y think clipers pick pg shaun livingston and bobcats pick dwigth howard to build the offense arround he</div>

I definately agree with the LAC and Charlotte picks. As for Cleveland and Philly, those are definately possbilities. I think both teams will be picking from the pool of available small forwards which should include Jackson, Smith, Snyder, and Monya.

14. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    My favorite time of the year, June, when the draft comes up and big time trading and free agent signing comenses. It's always really exciting to know which player will be going where and predicting which teams will suffer or triumph. Ok so, the 2004 NBA Draft, here are my predictions..

1. Orlando Magic - Emeka Okafor
    Why? Emeka Okafor brings the defensive game that orlando desperatly needs. However, if the McGrady deal happens before or during thursday's draft, don't be surprised to find Dwight Howard at the first pick.

2. Charlotte Bobcats - Dwight Howard
    Why? Dwight Howard could bring a good strike for the 'Cats' offensive game. His agility and quickness for his size make him a high offensive threat, though it remains to be seen if he can contend at the NBA level.

3. Chicago Bulls - Luol Deng
    Why? The Chicago Bulls need a small forward, plain and simple, though of course, they may also trade this draft pick for a superstar player. There is a ton of talk coming from the Chicago Tribune for Allen Iverson involving Tyson Chandler and other players from Phili. I myself, doubt this trade would ever happen as the Bulls are still quite big on Chandler.

4. Los Angeles Clippers - Ben Gordon
    Why? The Clippers have gained quite a few great players at every position over the last few years. They've always lacked a center and a pure point guard. They have Kaman, who has potential at the center spot. With Ben Gordon, they may have a player here that can give them an offensive push like Wade has done for that Miami Heat.

5. Washington Wizards - Andre Iguodala
    Why? While Washington could use a good center, Andre Iguodala would be a shame to pass on. He has shown a lot of promise and a lot of teams late in the lottery will be after him if Washington does not select him. They could really use him at the 3 spot for sure.

6. Atlanta Hawks - Shaun Livingston
    Why? Atlanta is in a tough spot here, they wanted to have a higher pick in this draft and did not get it. They have a reliable point guard already in Terry, but Shaun Livingston would be an even better edition, and is most likely to highly succeed of all the other remaining players in the lottery in my opinion. I would like to see Atlanta making a deal to get a higher pick, but I don't think that will happen as they don't have much to offer right now.

7. Phoenix Suns - Pavel Podkolzine
    Why? Phoenix needs a center, now more than ever since White has been taken by the Charlotte Bobcats. Truthfully, the 7'5" well over 300 pound giant is agile and quick, and not just for his size. The problem is, will he become more aggressive in order to compete with big men like Shaq and Yao? At this spot in the draft, how can you go wrong with a 7'5" big man?

8. Toronto Raptors - Devin Harris
    Why? Not much to be said here, Harris is a great player that will make a sure-fire impact for this team. The chemistry works well for his style of basketball and playing alongside Marshall, Bosh, and Carter will do wonders for this team. If Harris plays well, expect Toronto to make the playoffs in 2004-05.

9. Philadelphia Sixers - Andris Beidrins
    Why? Coleman is done, his injuries have taken to him far too much. Even if he can still play at the NBA level, it's time to stop in my opinion. Andris is the perfect answer for this team. If Allen Iverson is still around, definitly expect the sixers to steal Beidrins away. If AI is traded before or during the draft this thursday, expect them to draft a better shooter instead.

10. Cleveland Cavaliers - Josh Childress
    Why? I'd have to say that one of the most impressive starting lineups in the NBA today are the group of Ilguaskas, Boozer, and James. With a player like Childress on the Cavs, who can play either the 2 or 3 spot, Lebron can freely adjust to whichever position he decides he plays best. This is a great draft choice for Cleveland.

11. Golden State Warriors - Josh Smith
    Why? I don't think Golden State would be wise to select a small forward, the team has quite a few already that are getting better year after year. Josh Smith is a good player that adds good chemistry to the team. But I would expect the Warriors to select Andris Beidrins or Pavel Podkolzine if either are still available at this time. With Dampier and Foyle possibly on the go, one of those two centers would make a better selection.

12. Seattle Supersonics - Luke Jackson
    Why? Seattle loves top-notch, reliable shooters, and who doesn't? Jackson will be an excellent edition to an already growing team. Seattle has a great group on players that include Allen, Lewis, Barry, Collison, etc. Though of course, Brent Barry is a question right now. Luke Jackson will be able to come in and knock down big-time three pointers in clutch situations.

13. Portland Trailblazers - Robert Swift
    Why? Portland could use a center to work with, I think Robert Swift would make an excellent selection for a team of growing players that are currently adjusting to one another. Portland shown signs of their adjustments close to the end of the last season, with Swift, they will reach the playoffs having another reliable young player, who can also the play power forward.

14. Utah Jazz - Sergey Monya
    Why? Somehow, I think we all should expect Utah to select Monya. With the current slew of foreign players on the Jazz, one would expect them to take another Russian player, looking to find another piece in the puzzle in order to give some help to AK-47. The problem now, who would play the 3 spot when Matt Harpring is healthy?

15. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">9. Philadelphia Sixers - Andris Beidrins
    Why? Coleman is done, his injuries have taken to him far too much. Even if he can still play at the NBA level, it's time to stop in my opinion. Andris is the perfect answer for this team. If Allen Iverson is still around, definitly expect the sixers to steal Beidrins away. If AI is traded before or during the draft this thursday, expect them to draft a better shooter instead.</div>
    Samuel Dalmbert?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">13. Portland Trailblazers - Robert Swift
    Why? Portland could use a center to work with, I think Robert Swift would make an excellent selection for a team of growing players that are currently adjusting to one another. Portland shown signs of their adjustments close to the end of the last season, with Swift, they will reach the playoffs having another reliable young player, who can also the play power forward.</div>
    Woa, this is a first, interesting, they have Randolph so they don't need a PF, and Ratliff is a pretty good center, I thought they'd try to meet a need like a PG or SG?

16. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting wtwalker77:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm not trying to insult anyone here, but why do so many people think the Warriors will take a small forward? The mods have them taking Smith, some members have them taking Smith, but I don't get it. Sure there will probably be a lot of sfs available at #11, especially if Podkolzine and Biedrins are off the board, but the Warriors have to go big unless they're picking for another team.

If I'm Mullin and my choices are a sf like Smith, Snyder, Monya, or Jackson (or even Childress) or a big man like Araujo or Ramos, I'm going big or trading the pick. Mullin knows he's got Richardson, Pietrus, and Dunleavy under contract as sf/sgs. He knows he can probably re-sign Cardinal as well. What he doesn't have for sure is a center. Damp's 50/50 to leave and most of the free agent centers are really power forwards. Araujo and Ramos have the size to be western conference centers and until someone convinces me otherwise, the Warriors are taking one of those four big men (Podkolzine and Biedrins being the other two).</div>

Why? Because as Mullin said last week: "We need more good players. As many as we can get." CONTRA COSTA TIMES had an article on the Warriors selecting the best available.

17. wtwalker77

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Why? Because as Mullin said last week: "We need more good players. As many as we can get." CONTRA COSTA TIMES had an article on the Warriors selecting the best available.</div>

No disrespect, but did you finish reading that quote from Mullin? Here's the full quote in case it wasn't in the article you read:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">"Needs -- we need more good players, as many as we can get,'' Mullin said. "I'm more of a best-player scenario (guy). It depends on who's available, but we need to keep adding talent that makes sense together.'' </div>
    It doesn't make sense to add a small forward when the team already has Dunleavy (a Mullin favorite), Pietrus, and possibly Cardinal at small forward. You can only develop so much young talent at one position at the same time. Besides, Montgomery and Mullin are both on record as saying that having a good work ethic is a requirement of any draft pick, and of all the small forwards available, Smith is the only one who's had his work ethic questioned.

Here's another one from the same article:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Mullin saw Biedrins play in Latvia and, according to one source, is high on him, though the forward is expected to go among the first 10 picks.</div>
    link

If Biedrins is around when the Warriors pick, Mullin has to take him over Smith. Besides fitting a team need and having a great work ethic, Biedrins is rated higher than Smith in nearly every mock draft (though he's not going higher than Smith in the members' next mock draft), so it isn't like the Warriors would be picking for need over the best available player.

But also, part of the reason why I questioned anyone who picked Smith going to the Warriors was that it was always Smith they were picking. I've got a lot of other small forwards rated higher than Smith such as Snyder, Jackson, and Monya, but for some reason anyone that has the Warriors taking a small forward has them taking Smith.

18. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Latest word is Portland want Nelson at 13, but don't expect him to be there. Phoenix and Toronto are both very impressed by him too, yet he gets little respect in a lot of mocks I've seen floating around.

19. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">Samuel Dalmbert?</div>

Dalmbert is said to be played at the PF by our scouts who want him in Chicago. He may be packaged for that trade with Iverson, then Phili would get Tyson Chandler, but that may not happen.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">Woa, this is a first, interesting, they have Randolph so they don't need a PF, and Ratliff is a pretty good center, I thought they'd try to meet a need like a PG or SG?</div>

From when I watched him in college way back, Theo Ratliff isn't a true center. They would have a better chance with a young player to work with. Bench is also important.

20. wtwalker77

Just a heads up everyone, if you haven't heard, there have been a lot of changes in what the teams will be doing over the past day or two. Things are a lot less clear now then they were right after the LAC/Charlotte deal went down.

We're planning on having the mock updated in the next hour or so and then we'll have another update done tonight at midnight pst.