Jerami Grant Extension?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by B-Roy, Jan 6, 2023.

1. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I don't see Grant making the All-Star game without a handful of injuries opening up a spot for him.

Does him not making it lower his value as well?

2. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

As long as fans have a say in all star voting it means nothing.

rotary111, HailBlazers and Cugel like this.
  3. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I asked the question based upon him having leverage if he were to wait until the off-season.

Otherwise it doesn't lower it since it would only go up if he were to make it, given that he's playing at the level but there's just a logjam. Hence, it's either here or up.

4. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

These guys have agents and other influencing factors in their lives. If Jody & Dame wants him chances are he will sign a new contract with us.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  5. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I guess I disagree he's playing at an all-star level, though he's been good!

6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Jeremy Lin was voted in one year....I'd say Jerami is way more qualified than Lin ever was....a lot of old past the prime stars get the vote too like old Dirk or Melo or even Kobe at the end when they clearly weren't better than younger guys at their position anymore...the fact is it's a popularity contest, not an achievement like all NBA first team would be. It's money as well.

7. Strenuus

His numbers and consistency say he is, though it'd be interesting to see where his averages stack to fringe all star (which is where I put him. It's not all star or not, but fringe). They gotta be pretty close to "average fringe all star" numbers.

8. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

We could certainly play the game of Grant is better than this guy who made an all-star team and then Grant is worse than this other guy who got left out of the all-star team one year.

While fan voting certainly leads to a wonky selection every 5 years or so, I think we can agree that overall, the best 20 players almost always make the all-star team. It's not like the 24 nicest or most marketable guys make up the all-star rosters.

9. Strenuus

There was no way lin wasn't getting in that year lol.

They do have the legacy thing, but yeah IIRC was it kobe... But someone bowed out so Lillard could get in the ASG. Forget who though.

riverman and Tince like this.
  10. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I'm willing to bet he won't make the all-star roster on its initial release this year or next, just like he hasn't in previous years. Same with All-NBA. He's closer to the 20th best player in the West than he is the 12th.

We did this same song in dance with CJ for years. People kept saying his numbers were basically good enough for him to be considered an all-star, yet he continued to not make the all-star team.

11. Strenuus

.... Which is why I said fringe all star. We're talking about should he wait to the off-season? That's my answer. Lol.

We're gonna spin in circles because I'm not disagreeing with you, it's semantics.

I, too, don't think he's gonna be an all star. But that wasn't the original question I posted. I asked if grant will wait to see if he is before he talks extension for leverage purposes. That was it. Lol

12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Grant is playing well enough to be an all-star but our record won't reflect it across the voting regions of NBA fans....most people live in the east and they're asleep when Portland home games tip off and our road games aren't picking up national coverage either.

13. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

And I'm still saying no I don't think he should wait to see if he's an all-star because he's unlikely to be one.

14. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I think that right after the front office does whatever they do around the trade deadline (assuming it's trying to make this team better around Dame) they should announce extensions for JG and Hart, if they aren't dealt. The thing is that we are already dodging the tax this season and resetting the clock on the repeater. Therefore from here on out we should be looking to push our team's salary ceiling as high as we can. (That's again if we're trying to build a contender around Dame).

I'm not saying the Hart and JG should have untradeable salaries but we should definitely be willing to give them salaries like we gave Ant and Nurk that are on the higher end of what's reasonable for them.

riverman likes this.
  15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

That sort of says the wink nod deal is done just like with Nurk last season

Tweak, HailBlazers and Tince like this.
  16. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Lin was never in the ASG.

17. Sloth

Sloth Lazy Bastard

Self-employed
    All-Star voting is stupid and a popularity contest; always has been and always will be. Not just in the NBA but other professional leagues. Grant should at least deserve a look at it, but won't get in no. I do think he seems happy to be here and I really do hope he signs the extension. Right now I would say its 70/30 that he does.

We shall see.

18. Sloth

Sloth Lazy Bastard

Self-employed
    Tbf he was one in the Chinese league(Power of Google haha).

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

When you google it it says..."YES"....which is what I did, I remember the controversy over him getting so many Chinese votes but his allstar nod was with the CBA, not the NBA..by all accounts the Knicks were sure he'd get voted in the year after Linsanity but he was a Rocket by then I think.....Melo didn't like him. My Taiwanese relatives were thrilled when Linsanity happened and he was front page news all over asia during that stretch. My point is the allstar game is a popularity contest where older stars rest on their past achievements and still get voted in or players from large population areas get more votes than small market players, etc...you can see by Jerami Grant's lack of votes and he's one of the best PFs in the league right now.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  20. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

what happens if Grant signs with a other team?