Jerami Grant Extension?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by B-Roy, Jan 6, 2023.

1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Just conjecture but i think the inverse also applies. If we cant retain the one guy Dame successfully recruited, this might be the final straw for a trade request

2. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

If we end up with a second bonafide all star, Dame, Jerami, Shaedon and a few new role players then that summer won't suck so hard. I don't know if Joe is up to the task but we're going to find out. Either Joe will land an all star around the draft or Dame will get traded this summer and you won't have to worry about Jerami re-signing.

3. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I like Grant and all but the problem is that he’s not a PF. He’s got a small forward body. Can he guard SFs? I don’t know, but I do know he can’t guard 4s or rebound like a 4

So how do you combat that?

UKRAINEFAN, BBert and CJ_is_Gone like this.
  4. blazerkor

Jerami is a wing. He does well guarding 2-4... I don't want the dude picking up the ball every fucking play (that was weird) but he's a really really solid defender one on one and a solid help defender/weakside shot blocker. The dude is slender though, so you probably want to get a banger next to him. Let's just see what happens on May 16th and June 22nd. That will tell us where this team is going and how Jerami might or might not fit in.

5. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, he is certainly no banger. I know we are not going to get Siakam, but that is the style of forward who would fit nicely next to Grant IM. Someone thicker (230 lbs) who can attack the basket.

Of course, Watford is no Sialkam but I did want to see a few games with a lineup of Nurk, Watford, Grant, Dame, and SS.
    I am guessing Grant can guard most SFs (at least the taller ones) but would struggle with the really quick ones.

6. blazerkor

How do you know we're not going to get Siakam? If we have the number 5 pick in this draft, we give them that, the Knicks pick, our 2026 and 2028 FRPs along with Ant and Nurk... I'm pretty sure that's more than enough for Pascal. At 29 he doesn't fit with Barnes and OGs timelines as well as Ant and picks. I don't even know if I'd want to do the deal but I think that it could get done. Also, no deal is likely until it actually happens, so I'm not saying it's likely.

BigGameDamian likes this.
  7. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

Grant sucks imo

8. blazerkor

In your opinion an efficient 20ppg forward who is really solid on both ends of the court sucks? I can see the opinion being that he isn't worth the money he's going to get paid but that he sucks? Keon sucks, Greg Brown III sucks, Jerami definitely doesn't suck.

RR7 and tykendo like this.
  9. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

We started the year watching the Olympic version of Jerami, an incredible 2 way Forward. Coach Billups ran Jerami hard, max pt, no games off to recoup. Jerami transitioned towards the Pistons version of Jerami Grant. Hustling to get offensive stats, but mysteriously disappeared on defense.

the Blazers regurgitate the outdated defensive stopper label for Grant. He is a talented scorer and good shooting stretch 4. He's definitely an upgrade for a position that was given to old man Melo.

How to fix the defensive woes of Dame/Ant/Grant ??

the fix is already happening by the GM pulling them at the end of the season so the team can tank for picks. When you have superstars that are complacent with taking the last month of the season off, while players in their classification are involved in some sort of sports pride competition thingy bobber, you'll be able to get some amazing rookies.

10. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you said, but do we ever get the player who would really help us?
    Anything is possible, even getting Victor, but the odds are not great.

11. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Under Olshey the answer is no. Olshey looks more and more like a snake oil salesman with each passing day.

12. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Perhaps the Blazers did try to get Pascal at the trade deadline.And perhaps that’s what the Raptors wanted. Said if you can get me a top 5 pick along with Ant & Nurk now We’re in business.

blazerkor likes this.
  13. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    Grant is the 3rd best player on a good team.

BBert likes this.
  14. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I think that’s too much for Siakam. Way too much. 4 first round picks? Including a top 5 in a loaded draft, a good young prospect in Simons and Nurkic for a borderline All Star.

Cronin should be fired on the spot if he does that

RR7 and Tince like this.
  15. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

Correct. Hopefully we aim a bit higher than 'good'.

He's likely 5th on a champion caliber team

16. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

We extend Grant to 7'2 and then trade Nurk.

Phatguysrule and blazerfan11 like this.
  17. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

You combat that by Grant playing with another forward who can rebound well and switch between forward positions. Josh Hart could have been the answer but I guess we couldn’t afford him?
    I wish the Blazers could have had one year of Hart and Sharpe playing together as starters. I think they would have been great together pushing the ball up the court and making up for Grant’s rebounding deficiencies.
    But, Hart is gone, so hopefully we’ll see that kind of player added in the offseason.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  18. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

How many players are you allowed to extend like that?

Phatguysrule and SlyPokerDog like this.
  19. blazerkor

Right, I don't think it would cost that much but I think Assai can and would get over on Joe a little bit. Probably three firsts, And and Nurk would get it done and maybe we could keep our lotto pick but I doubt it. I also don't think Pascal is a borderline all star when he is the second option. I think he's all nba as a second option. He does everything we need. The problem might be that getting him would leave us with a need a C. So we better be able to get him without selling the entire fucking farm.

Like I said I don't know if I'd even want the deal but we do have the assets to make it happen and I think Toronto is acting like they don't want to but he is the guy that makes most sense for them to trade just because he probably has the highest trade value and is the oldest of their legitimate foundational players.

20. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    insert Jaylen Brown and I’d maybe do the deal. Siakam is good. Not a guy you give up that much for. A deal like that for Siakam wouldn’t make us title contenders and would set us back considerably for the future

BBert and blazerkor like this.