Jimmy Butler rejects Bulls’ final offer, plans to enter restricted free agency

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by Denny Crane, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    I don't know what you mean by motor.

I remember a game last season or the year before. Ben Gordon got hot and Thibs put Lu on him and he pretty much shut him down.

Similarly, last night, CP3 got hot and Thibs put Jimmy on him and that was that.

Lu would put his head down and drive plenty often. He was extremely good at finishing at the rim with an array of moves.

But those plays didn't seem like they were drawn up. It looked like Lu improvised.

Jimmy is going to the hoop on similar plays quite a bit.

Like I said, and you agreed, jimmy is being real successful at posting up. And he doesn't put his head down when he drives - you called it handles.

If, and there is no guarantee, Jimmy finishes the rest of the season at his current production, he will already be a much better player than Lu ever was.

In fact, we might be talking about Jimmy as a shade worse than only a couple of SGs, while Lu was maybe 15th best SF in any season.

I don't see how Lu was better on offense. You'll have to explain that to me. He was good at taking too many mid range shots. Jimmy is averaging 8 FTA per game. That's a superstar kind of number.

You'll have to explain the defense and rebounding claims, too. Jimmy is 6th among guards at rebounds per 48 minutes and 3rd among guys who play 30 per game. He's made 2nd team all defense at a younger age than Lu did, and he may be in the running for DPOY this season.

2. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Butler's been the most thoroughly delightful surprise since Pippen, but I'll stop the comparisons there.

If Jimmy Butler is going to be an efficient 20+ppg scorer, it changes everything for this team...this is pretty much what we've seen for the past month.

If this is a dream, first one to pinch me dies.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

3. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Name 5 Bulls players to average 20+ in a season since Pax joined management.

4. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

I define motor as the ability to be around the ball at opportune time even though the play isn't scripted for you to be there. It's a very useful quality and Lu had an elite motor, which is one of the reasons he was a big-minute player. It's his most remarkable attribute as a player IMO and why he can score points without plays having to be drawn up for him.

Completely agree that they're both great on defense. However, I think Lu had a greater comparative advantage in doing small things off the ball, both as a help defender and against his own man before he received it. Fighting hard through screens, fighting for his position so his guy didn't catch the ball in his spot, etc. Butler's better as a shut-down defender once his guy catches it. Both are very good all around though.

Agree that the ball Jimmy is playing right now is at a higher level than Lu's ever been.

I don't think Lu is better on offense. I was making points about how they play differently. You said you think Jimmy is Lu with a three point shot, which I don't think is true. I also think you're sorta' proving my point by pointing out all the ways in which they're different....handles, FTA/game, etc.

Luol Deng's TRB% his last four years in Chicago:

10.5%
    9.4%
    9.2%
    8.7%

Jimmy Butlers' TRB% during that same time:

8.6%
    7.2%
    8.8%
    8.6%

5. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Big minute player. Seems to be something they have in common. The scoring without having plays drawn up for them is another similarity. In fact, the way they both scored on broken plays, the places they start their drive to the basket, look the same to me.

I don't think they're exactly the same player. I think they're quite similar is all. So similar that having both in the lineup at the same time was a poor fit.

I never saw Lu as a guy who was around the ball, other than he was called upon to guard the best wing (who might have been around the ball more). That said, when he guarded F's and especially when he played PF in our small ball lineups, he guarded guys in the lane and was able to block some shots (help defense?).

It's sorta funny that you compare a SF's TRB% to a SG's and they're close.

6. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Butler is a better overall player than Deng was/is. Deng could/can score,but he never took over a game like Butler has three or four times this season alone.