Jimmy Butler wants out? (He does.)

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, Sep 15, 2018.

1. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Dammit I knew I was leaving out someone. I definitely wouldn't include Collins either.

:cheers:

2. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    God no. Aminu is better than Wiggins and it's not close.

3. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    KAT and Wiggins for Anthony Davis. There, two "problems" fixed.

4. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    The story with Butler is that he plans to team up with Kyrie, and Kyrie is heading for the Knicks.

Blazers Roy likes this.
  5. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Ok... I’m not going to just say you’re wrong. I would like some sort of explanation on how you got to that conclusion though. Wiggins is 22 and while he’s been a let down for a #1 pick he’s been pretty ‘ok’. Aminu is 28 (I think) and has only been a starter because the Blazers forwards have been passable at best...

Anyways. I have a hard time getting to ‘Aminu is better’ and it’s not even close is like really hard for me. So, would you mind expanding on that thought?

6. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I dont get Wiggins... Ive been so underwhelmed by him. Inefficent even before butler. Maybe its something im not seeing but hes been meh.

7. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    He’s definitely not lived up to the hype. Or even close to it. He’s kind of an ok 3-4th option and he is still only 22.

8. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

Remember too that we are talking about Neil Olshey.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  9. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    So you’re saying the trade won’t be completed because the Blazers didn’t want to include ANYTHING another team would want, and we’ll all be shocked they wouldn’t give us a really good player for ML and a 2nd rounder lol.

Propagandist and PtldPlatypus like this.
  10. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Do you really think that's a possibility? I don't like Wiggins game where it stands. Bad defender, super-inefficient, but he has so much potential and a scenario like this would be one of the only ways we could add a potential 3rd star to Dame and CJ. Olshey talks about how he feels like they're good at revitalizing young players careers and helping them restart their development. If they can do what they did with Harkless, then Wiggins would be a solid gamble. In this scenario I'm not trading Aminu though. We'd need his defensive versatility with Wiggins on the team, since Aminu could take the best forward and we could hide Wiggins on the worst forward.

MIN Gets: Evan Turner, Caleb Swanigan, Jake Layman, 2019 POR 1st, 2020 Right to Swap
    POR Gets: Andrew Wiggins

Sign Cameron Oliver and Chinanu Onuaku.

Lillard / Baldwin / Simons
    McCollum / Curry / Stauskas
    Wiggins / Harkless / Trent
    Aminu / Collins / Oliver
    Nurkic / Leonard / Onuaku

Lillard (36) / Curry (12)
    McCollum (35) / Curry (13)
    Wiggins (30) / Harkless (15) / Curry (3)
    Aminu (30) / Harkless (12) / Collins (6)
    Nurkic (30) / Collins (18)

Lets say Dame and CJ leave in 2021 (blasphemy, I know). We'd have Wiggins, Collins, Trent, and Simons as guys under 25 years old and Nurkic would be 27. Wouldn't be horrible.

11. BonesJones

Definitely hasn't. But the key there is he's still 22, and nobody argues about his potential. Usually you can't get a guy that young with that high of a ceiling.

12. BonesJones

Either way, if Butler or Wiggins become available we need to pursue them.

PHXBlazer1 and Phatguysrule like this.
  13. BonesJones

They'd definitely need shooting so I could see them wanting Leonard. We'd have to include multiple picks though... Probably three top 10 protected picks to even have a chance.
    MIN Gets: Evan Turner, Al-Farouq Aminu, Meyers Leonard, 2019 POR 1st , 2021 POR 1st, 2023 POR 1st
    POR Gets: Jimmy Butler, Gorgui Dieng

I'd do it. Minnesota gets out of Dieng's last year and Leonard could give them needed shooting. I dunno.

Lillard (36) / Curry (12)
    McCollum (35) / Curry (13)
    Butler (36) / Trent Jr. (10) / Curry (2)
    Harkless (32) / Collins (16)
    Nurkic (30) / Collins (10) / Dieng (8)

Scalma likes this.
  14. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

LoL...You sound like Neil Olshey.

15. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

There is no way you are getting Butler unless you include CJ. None.

They don't want our scraps. Someone else will offer more.

16. BonesJones

Ehhh, like who? The only team I could see doing so is Boston (to keep Kyrie there) but they also have 3 wings near his level already.

So who? A disgruntled star on an expiring contract that's rumored to want to pair up with Kyrie in NY or BKN. I don't see teams offering that much.

Blazers Roy likes this.
  17. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

Was Paul George not offered 3 immediate first round picks and any player not named dame or CJ from us?

The Pacers got Sabonis and Oladipo (who exploded after getting to Indy, but was still better than anyone we currently have outside of CJ or Dame).

The Lakers could offer Brandon Ingram and salaries for Butler. He isnt going to leave the Lakers and lebron next year. Although that would have to wait until they could include KCP.

Kawhi Leonard sat out for almost an entire year, with people scared of injury issues and still got Demar DeRozan.

18. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

This is going to be really interesting to watch. Butler is a total Thibs' guy and was MIN's savior. With him they made it to the playoffs for the first time in 14 years. Hard to believe they will give him up after just one season. Thibs is both coach and GM, but you have to wonder how much rope the MIN owners will give him.

Even with Butler, they have to realize they aren't getting past GSW. So, exactly how much young talent are they willing to give up just to keep Butler for one more year? If it eas up to Thibs, and Thibs alone, I bet they'd keep Butler and trade Wiggins. But, I think the owners value their youth more than Thibs does. Thibs already gave up Kris Dunn, Zach LaVine and Lauri Markkanen for Butler (and Justin Patton who has played exactly 4 minutes of NBA basketball and is out indefinitely). Are they willing to keep shedding their youth, this time in the form of Andrew Wiggins, to keep Butler happy? I think this may be where the draw they line in the sand and tell Thibs Butler has to go. They aren't going continue to mortgage their future for a guy who cannot seem to coexist with their younger players.

They have humored Thibs to this point. They approved the Butler trade, and let him overpay Taj Gibson. They let Thibs sign Derrick Rose, who basically quit on CLE. Now, they've let him sign Luol Deng, but those other moves did not cost them young players, like Butler has. I think if Butler plays the him or me ultimatum with Wiggins, I think MIN's owners tell Thibs it's time to show Butler the door and get the most they can get in return.

If that's the direction they choose, they will want young players and picks. Of course, they will also need ~$20 million in salary coming back, which they would prefer to be expiring, or close to it. IF you're POR would you do this trade:

upload_2018-9-15_17-55-22.png

Or maybe substitute a future 1st in place of of Simons or Trent Jr.?

What about this one:

upload_2018-9-15_18-1-41.png

Although ESPN lists Dieng as a C, he started all 82 games at PF next to KAT in 2016-17. Unfortunately, he's not a great fit next to Nurkic. Again, we could substitute a future 1st for one of Simons or Trant Jr. and also possibly take back a small contract, or two, from MIN to make the body counts match a little better. Those are all minor details. The real question is, how much of our youth, particularly Collins, Simons, Trent Jr and/or a future 1st are you willing to give up for Jimmy Butler, knowing Butler is only locked up for one season?

BNM

19. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    How 'bout this:

.........Aminu.....Wiggins
    ORPM -0.37 .22 ADV Wiggins
    DRPM 2.37 -1.84 ADV Aminu
    RPM 2.00 -1.62 ADV Aminu
    WINS 6.75 2.85 ADV Aminu

All Wiggins can do is shoot. Almost literally.

20. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    I wish I knew what people see in Brandon Ingram. Evidently the Lakers don't see it, because he's the first one (okay, second after Lonzo Ball) included in every trade scenario, which you'd think wouldn't be the case if he was the Young KD he was supposed to be.