Jimmy Butler wants out? (He does.)

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, Sep 15, 2018.

1. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I think while we're more informed than ever, it's really hard to decipher that information. I don't think ALL cnn / fox / msnbc journalists and media are only pushing agenda's, but for me personally it's hard to really dig through the crap. It's easy to just accept the information that I, "like" but that's not a very good process... Our OT section is full of people just posting links to articles that they like, with conflicting information from another media outlet that supports the other point of view. Anyways not to get on a soap box, I could just be stupid but I hate watching the news and it doesn't really matter which news channel, because I've always got that how much of the truth are they actually telling me feeling.

dviss1 likes this.
  2. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

CNN, NY Times, and Washington Post were never "fake news" until Agent Orange was elected.

IMHO THIS is the shit we have to watch out for:

It has nothing to do with news and everything with a corporation wanting to send out THEIR message.

BBert and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  3. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Fake news maybe not. Highly agendized though, I don't think that's new to Trump. I understand your point and agree though.

dviss1 likes this.
  4. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

If Butler knows Stotts then he wouldn't want to play for him.

Butler is not a big upgrade over CJ, We would still be ranked below Hou,GS and probably SAS and NO with him.

5. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I personally don't think he fits our system as a SG. He'd be a nice SF if we could keep CJ though.

6. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    CJ's a better creator on offense and pure shooter. Butler is better for match up's as he can switch on SF's because of his size, and he is "stronger" than CJ. I think CJ fits Terry's offense though. The Blazers need forwards who can score just replacing CJ with another SG doesn't do much in my opinion. They are starting two guys who are basically role players at SF / PF not enough scoring in my opinion.

7. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I love C.J., but I think you are severely underrating Butler. He is 6'8" and can play both the 2 and the 3. He has been All NBA 3rd team twice (including last season) . He has also been 2nd Team All Defense four times (including last season). He did this all while averaging more points and more assists per game, and of course, more rebounds and steals, than C.J. over the past two seasons.

The last two seasons:

Butler: 23.3 ppg, 5.9 rpg. 5.3 apg, 1.9 spg

C.J.: 22.2 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 3.5 apg, 0.9 spg

So, Butler averages 1 more point, 1.9 more rebounds, 1.8 more assists and 1 more steal per game than C.J., but that doesn't tell the compete story. When you look at the advanced stats, Butler's superiority becomes obvious:

The last two seasons:

Butler: PER = 24.5, TS% = .588, USG% = 25.8, WS = 11.6, WS/48 = .219, VORP = 5.20

C.J.: PER = 18.4, TS% = .560, USG% = 27.0, WS = 7.10, WS/48 = .119, VORP = 1.95

Two things here surprised me, and really stand out. I knew Butler was a better all around contributor, but his TS% is significantly higher than C.J.'s and he scores more points and gets more assists, while having a lower USG% than C.J. C.J. is known for his shooting, but the only thing he does better than Butler is shoot the 3. Butler gets to the line a lot more and has a much higher 2FG%, thus resulting in a significantly higher TS%.

So, Butler puts up better per game numbers across the board than C.J. He scores more and does so more efficiently, and hands out significantly more assist, all while using up fewer possessions than C.J. He would easily replace C.J.'s scoring, while also being one of the top 10 defenders in the game. If you ask me, that's a pretty significant upgrade.

It may not be enough to get us past GSW or HOU, but I think it would vault us ahead of SAS, NOP, OKC, MIN, DEN, UTA, etc. And, Butler is one few defenders in the league capable of slowing down Kevin Durant and James Harden without relying on constant double teams. Given Terry's flat out refusal to double team the other team's best player, that would be huge for us in a 7 game series. Enough to win that series, hard to say, but enough to make it competitive.

BNM

8. Boob-No-More

Butler is 6'8" and perfectly capable of playing SF.

In spite of C.J. being a better "pure shooter", Butler has a significant'y higher TS% over the past two seasons (.588 vs. .560). Butler scores more, gets significantly more rebounds, more assists and more steals, while doings so more efficiently than C.J. and being one of the top 10 defenders in the game.

BNM

9. Boob-No-More

I think he fits our system as a player. Put him at SG or SF, and we are a much better team at both ends. I think people are underrating just how valuable a 2-way player Butler is. He puts up better per game numbers than C.J. and does so more efficiently.

And, on the defensive end, it's not even close. He ranks right up there with Paul George and Kawhi Leonard as one of the best wing defenders in the league. He can guard Durant, LeBron and Harden straight up as well as anyone in the league. Can C.J. do that?

Butler is one of the few players I'd gladly give up C.J. (plus additional assets) to get. He is the rare 2-way player that would make this team better at both ends of the floor. We are overloaded at guard. Granted Simons and Trent Jr. are young and lack experience, but depending on who we gave up (in addition to C.J.), we would have so much versatility, due to Butler's ability to guard both 2s and 3s.

Need more 3-point shooting, pair Butler at the 3 with Trent Jr. or Curry at the 2. Need lock down defense, how does Butler at the 2, Harkless at the 3, Aminu (or Collins) at the 4 and Nurk (or Collins) at the 5 grab you? We could go big, or small, as needed. In fact, we could even force other people to match up with us for a change. Wouldn't that be refreshing?

BNM

Eastoff, dviss1 and Propagandist like this.
  10. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    No doubt that Butler's more efficient than CJ, and takes much better shots than CJ. Butler's defense has basically gotten worse every year of his career though. In fact last year CJ's Drtg (per 100) was 109 and Butler's was 110. CJ's defensive win shares last year 2.9 - Jimmy's was 1.8. I realize Injuries play a part in that, but that's also something to consider of Butler's 7 season's he's played more than 70 games only twice. CJ has already done it 3 times, and that's taking into account that CJ didn't get on the court much his 1st and 2nd year, since he's been a starter he's played 80, 80 and 81 games.

11. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

We already have Neil Olshey.

SheedSoNasty, tester551 and dviss1 like this.
  12. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Like my ex wife used to say once she realized she was wrong:

Whateverly....

Boob-No-More likes this.
  13. Boob-No-More

Both DWS and DRtg are heavily influenced by your teammates. C.J. had the benefit of playing for a top 8 defense while Butler was saddled playing for a bottom 4 defense. Butler's defense hasn't gotten worse every year, his teammates have gotten worse defensively. His teammates last year were horrible defensively (worst in the league when Butler wasn't on the floor), which is the main reason he's unhappy in MIN. None of the younger player are willing to commit to putting forth an effort on the defensive end of the floor.

There isn't a single stat that captures a players defensive impact, but try poking around at 82 games.com and get an idea of the real difference between Butler's and C.J.'s defensive impact on their teams.

Butler: Own Production = 27.8, Opponent Production = 13.3, Net Production = +14.6. Net Points/48 = +8.4

C.J.: Own Production = 19.7, Opponent Production = 15.8, Net Production = +3.9. Net Points/48 = +2.0

If you scroll down the page and compare their performance per 48 minutes at SG, where both players played the bulk of their minutes, again, you'll see that while C.J. was a net positive, Butler was a MUCH greater net positive:

Butler (at SG): Pts/48 = 34.6, PER = 28.8, Opp Pts/48 = 16.3, Opp PER = 11.6, Net Pts/48 = +18.3, Net PER = +17.1

C.J. (at SG): Pts/48 = 27.3, PER = 17.3, Opp Pts/48 = 23.2, Opp PER = 16.1, Net Pts/48 = +4.1, Net PER = +1.1

Notice that when both were playing the same position, in the same division of the same conference (basically guarding the same opponents), Butler held the man he was guarding to 16.3 Pts/48 while C.J. gave up 23.2 Pts/48 to those same opponents. That's a significant difference.

This may not be a perfect stat (none are, especially when it comes to defense), but I think its more indicative of relative defensive abilities than heavily teammate dependent stats like DWS and DRtg.

That and the fact that Butler has been named 2nd team All Defense 4 times and C.J. has never, and will never, come close. People who know defense, consider Butler a top 10 defender, C.J., not so much...

BNM

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  14. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I get it. You did ignore my other point about injury’s. Do you feel like Jimmy is reliable at this point? He’ll be 29 this year which isn’t old, but he’s been hurt a lot basically all but one year. Also in the playoff this year he sure wasn’t close to stopping Harden... I agree you that overall Butler is a better player, and the stats back it up. I just don’t know how much I’d put up for him. Sure if the trade was C.J. straight up for Butler my guess is that the Blazers would be better.

15. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    By the @BonesJones @Boob-No-More @hoopsjock you guys should do a Blazer podcast or something. So much more knowledgeable than our local guys. There’s even a few others in here too that know what they’re talking about. Have @dviss1 in once in a while, that ref perspective is a great one to get. You guys could be the next starteRs or whatever the basketball jones is calling itself now (they were better before they got the NBA gig).

16. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Yup. And we wouldn't use stupid as words like

"Swishbomb"

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  17. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Bones has his stuff on Trueblazerfan. I would love to be involved with something like that though.

18. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Can swishbomb please be the first word uttered. Just once, out of spite, and just for my amusement lol...

19. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I’ve watched many of those videos, it’s much easier for me to digest audio only stuff. I can listen at work and at the gym. Bones does a really good job though and I am sure it would be good even as just audio.

BonesJones likes this.
  20. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    No

dviss1 and TorturedBlazerFan like this.