Notice Joe Cronin New GM

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by THE HCP, May 10, 2022.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

One opinion I heard this morning is that since Cronin did "the dirty work" of unloading all Neil's long-term deals for peanuts--and clearly did so in a way that ownership approved of since they authorized the deals-- and took all the criticism that came along with that fire sale, that it would be bad management to not reward him with the permanent job.

I mean, I'm of the opinion that it's bad management not to talk to multiple people to ensure you have the best person for the goal you're trying to accomplish, but what do I know...?

2. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

All these top GM's had to get there start somewhere, and were unproven at the time. I like this move. Cronin is using his whole staff, including coaches, to do the work, and come up with the best possible solutions for competing at the highest level. I look forward to seeing it develop. Just because you've been a top GM somewhere else, doesn't guaranty success at the new stop. I'm sure Danny Ainge is enjoying the Mitchell/Gobert situation. So blessings to Joe & his Team for success this offseason, and beyond. Go get'er done.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  3. Predator

Predator The Godfather

If that’s truly how you feel, that’s completely delusional thinking.

It essentially equates to, “Joe Cronin is so good we don’t need to even look at anyone else”.

SlyPokerCat and blazerkor like this.
  4. Predator

Predator The Godfather

I said it before but I think they had to essentially guarantee him the job since he would literally never get looked at again for a GM position after making those moves.

“Look, we know you’re going to look like sh1t so we’ll let you keep the job and actually prove what you can do… as long as you succeed at tearing this mf’er down”

SlyPokerCat likes this.
  5. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

"greatly enhanced"...yeah right. Just like those same players greatly enhanced Portland into being a tax team while not being a contender. You'd think that if Powell and RoCo greatly enhanced the Clippers they would have enhanced them to a home play-in win over the Pels. And if CJ/Nance greatly enhanced the Pels they wouldn't have needed Paul George getting Covid to make the playoffs. CJ played 26 games for the Pels; they were 13-13. In the 26 games before CJ, the Pels were 14-12. Greatly enhanced on line 1

I'm also curious about who the "some in league circles" was? For all we know it was Olshey and a janitor

well, we know it wasn't Olshey saying that but it's just as anonymous. It's a little more credible than the 'greatly enhanced' stuff though

6. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I think Joe and Chauncey will surround Dame with 1 trade for a vet and signed 1/2 year players, plus our lotto pick. I doubt we carry to many young players that need development. Maybe Watford sticks but besides the drat pick look for seasoned vets on short contracts. Its a three - four year plan for Dame.
    The Milwaukee pick is in the back pocket.

tykendo likes this.
  7. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Roco's creaky knees is a similarly ridiculous comment. When did he hurt his knees? He just signed a 2 yr extension with the Clips so clearly they didn't think it's noteworthy.

SlyPokerCat and hoopsjock like this.
  8. wizenheimer

if they didn't talk to anyone else it is bad management, although, considering the lack of structure, that goes directly to ownership

and it's really easy to say that at this point, Portland has bad ownership

9. wizenheimer

maybe that was a misquote and it was about Nance's creaky knees?

10. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett Exactly right.

The problem with roco is his heart.(effort)
    He has none.
    roco is worthless, he will never (and never has) IMPROVED a team.
    Sending him off was a fantastic move, no matter what the return was.

11. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

I know this much, fans would have been frustrated if those players had stayed, and re-signed. It takes moves to make change. Joe & his Staff are on it. GM's don't rub each other's little friends too often. It's a cutthroat league. Joe & the Franchise want to succeed. Let's see what they can do over the next couple of off seasons. I choose the glass is half full approach.

Haakzilla, Hoopguru, Tince and 2 others like this.
  12. wizenheimer

except Josh Hart, a 6th pick, and a 21M TPE

Phatguysrule and e_blazer like this.
  13. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Come on man... I have been begging to trade CJ since the Paul George rumors.

SlyPokerCat likes this.
  14. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

4 hours later....
    You can't do this... well, I guess you can, because you just did. Now I can't take you at your word though!

15. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    At least when Paul was alive, you knew he was super committed to winning and that the team was his passion. It feels like we are the forgotten, unwanted step-child now. An absentee owner, no communication, a new, untried GM w/out even a search, a team soon to be on the auction block.

I hope Loyalty Lillard knows something that we don't because this looks like a recipe for, well, nothingness to me.

16. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Your point about the tax is a valid one, but if they use the TPE (say for Grant) and keep Hart isn't that the same or more financially than trading CJ this summer?

The other problem is that if a Rudy Gobert (just an example) level player with a big contract becomes available this summer it's really difficult for Portland to match salary in a trade.

They were already under the tax for this year before the CJ trade, so if the goal is to save tax in future years they pretty much have no shot at building a true contender around Dame. It's certainly possible and even logical that's the plan, but that would be really disappointing as a fan and this "flexibility" would go to waste.

17. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    I do think Allen and Kolde threw Cronin under the bus after forcing him to make trades.

Still doesn't explain Cronin not being able to negotiate better pick protections or at the very least combining the two big trades to create a bigger trade exception.

18. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

In the last year, both the Coach and GM have been fired and new ones hired. So I would not say they are forgotten. The fact that she does not get involved in the draft as much as Paul did (or other owners) is a plus IMO. Did they make a good choice with Chauncey? I think so. Did they make a good choice in Joe? We will find out soon enough.

One thing that bugs me (And this has nothing to do with your post) is the perception that the "Vulcans" are only interested in the "bottom line". I find this odd based on the fact that we have routinely ranked near the top for Team Salaries. Just because they thought it was wise to avoid the repeater tax they are all of a sudden cheap? I would not go as far as saying they are throwing money all over the place, but I would place them in the middle of the pack for owners willing to spend money.

Stevenson and hoopsjock like this.
  19. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    The Blazers' own pick is not an asset to the CJ trade. They could've tanked and sat him out the exact same way they did with everyone else. Or in your mind (jk), they could've played him and been even worse.

20. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Yeah, if you're Jody would you have wanted to pay tax for the team the last 3 years? Moving forward I would probably take a "you gotta show me this team is worth it" approach if I was in her position. Let's hope that's all it was and that if the team does get back up on the rise she'll be willing to spend. The jury is still out on that though. That's why it doesn't make sense to not at least interview a few different candidates to get a few ideas on how to keep salary down while also still being competitive.