Notice Joe Cronin New GM

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by THE HCP, May 10, 2022.

1. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    If that’s the motivation @SlyPokerDog would have been even cheaper.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  2. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

How do we know fir certain there were no other interviews? Hope its not based off Quicks take.
    Chauncey and Dame along with their plan is the reason for staying with Joe.

3. HoopsFanAZ

HoopsFanAZ Well-Known Member

1. I’m glad Portland traded CJ and cleared the decks of the bigger contracts except Lillard. It’s done.
    2. Not being a tax payer is a good thing this off-season.
    3. Ingles signed early for less or not at all with cap hold.
    4. EBEC traded, sent away for less, or ballast in a deadline trade. IMHO it’s one of the first 2.

Good luck, Joe, on the quick rebuild.

Wade Garrett likes this.
  4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I was talking more about the trade deadline deals in total. They would have had to sit CJ, Powell, Nance, and Roco. That would have been even more blatant. Instead they played Keon, Didi, & Hughes. Keeping the former guys, along with the injuries to Dame, Little, & Bledsoe would have left the no alternative but to play guys who could have added 'harmful' wins

I don't think holding on to any of those guys till summer was an option. I think the Vulcans were pushing for trades at the deadline. I also don't buy the idea, at all, that Portland could have a got a better return for CJ, Powell & Nance in the summer. I think the opposite would have been true considering the need to re-sign Simons and Nurkic

Wade Garrett, Phatguysrule and RR7 like this.
  5. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Quick was basing that on talking to multiple agents from my understanding.

6. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Don't you think thats always the hope/motivation in every single trade? My guess is at the time that most trades are consummated, most every GM in the history of sports thinks he's taken advantage of the other guy.

While Joe hasn't done anything to win my confidence, who knows the parameters that he's operated underneath. I did not like the two trades, at all. However, they did set up some flexibility. I remain hopeful as he hasn't shit and reshit the bed like Soapy Olshey did.

STOMP

7. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    So for all of you who say CJ should have gotten more in return, check out this trade.

Traded by the Oklahoma City Thunder with Abdel Nader to the Phoenix Suns for Ty Jerome, Jalen Lecque, Kelly Oubre Jr., Ricky Rubio and a 2022 1st round draft pick.

The player traded by OKC?

Chris Paul.

Ty Jerome? Meh. Jalen Lecque the hell is that guy? Kelly Oubre? Meh. Rickey was traded immediately.

So basically Chris Paul was traded for Tye Jerome and a 1st round pick. Oubre was traded away, Jalen was traded away for someone who was waived, Ricky was traded away.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  8. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Glad we don't have Presti...

Hoopguru likes this.
  9. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    They got another 1st for Oubre and attached Rubio to late 1sts to move up to 17. But you think that trade is bad, the previous off season they paid OKC multiple 1sts just to take CP3. So in essence the Thunder ended up with 4 1sts, a move up in the 1st, and pick swaps for CP3.

This means nothing to what the Pelicans were willing to give up.

10. julius

singer songwriter
    Kelly Oubres transactions

"Traded by the Oklahoma City Thunder to the Golden State Warriors for a 2021 2nd round draft pick (Miles McBride was later selected) and a 2021 2nd round draft pick (Aaron Wiggins was later selected). 2021 2nd-rd pick is DEN own, Golden State also received a trade exception. (2021 1st-rd pick (GSW own) is top 20 protected, will turn into 2021 2nd-rd pick (MIN own) if it does not convey. Did not convey 2021)."

Show me where that was a 1st round pick.

Wasn't the 1st round that Rubio was traded for, by another team *after* the Thunder traded him?

11. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    GS ended up being bad so it fell within the protections, you know like how those types of trades usually work. We didn't have to convey a 1st to Chicago yet for Nance, does that mean we didn't try to trade a 1st for him?

Rubio was traded from OKC along with two late 1sts for the 17th pick.

12. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    That Oubre trade is a great example of how value in a trade works. If GS was good, then OKC got MORE value in the trade because they would've gotten a 1st. OKC didn't get LESS value if GS was good.

Cronin is the first GM in the history of sports to accept the terms getting worse than what the other team was willing to give up if the other team did well. Congrats to him for that monumental achievement!

BonesJones, blazerkor and TBpup like this.
  13. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

Really good point here. They could have tanked with or without CJ.

blazerkor and hoopsjock like this.
  14. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

I don't have a whole bunch of faith in Jason Quick but i guess he does have access.

15. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    When Quick says that four of the guys likely to be on the Blazers’ roster next season (Dame, Nurk, Simons and Little) were a part of the “core” that got off to a poor start last season, he’s being disingenuous. Little and Simons were coming off the bench and getting 15-20 minutes a game. That’s hardly a “core” role. Quick is trying to make his case that there’s not much reason for optimism about this group competing. That may well be right, but at least tell the story accurately. Dame wasn’t right from the start of the season and there were definitely chemistry problems between RoCo and Billups. I don’t draw much from what the Blazers did at the start of a misbegotten season; I look at that four game winning streak with Ant, Hart, Nurk and Little and think what that group could have done with a healthy Dame. Cronin’s got his work cut out and I don’t know how successful he’s going to be, but I’m not sure anyone else would be more likely to get things headed in the right direction.

Fairly-Hard, RR7 and Phatguysrule like this.
  16. julius

singer songwriter
    From Basketball Reference RE: Rubio

November 16, 2020: Traded by the Phoenix Suns with Ty Jerome, Jalen Lecque, Kelly Oubre Jr. and a 2022 1st round draft pick to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Abdel Nader and Chris Paul.

November 20, 2020: As part of a 3-team trade, traded by the Oklahoma City Thunder with Jaden McDaniels to the Minnesota Timberwolves; the Minnesota Timberwolves traded Mathias Lessort and a 2023 2nd round draft pick to the New York Knicks; the Minnesota Timberwolves traded James Johnson, Aleksej Pokusevski and a 2024 2nd round draft pick to the Oklahoma City Thunder; the New York Knicks traded a 2020 1st round draft pick (Leandro Bolmaro was later selected) to the Minnesota Timberwolves; and the Oklahoma City Thunder traded Immanuel Quickley to the New York Knicks. 2023 2nd-rd pick is DET own. 2024 2nd-rd pick is MIN own

August 2, 2021: Traded by the Minnesota Timberwolves to the Cleveland Cavaliers for Taurean Prince and a 2022 2nd round draft pick. 2022 2nd-rd pick is WAS own

February 7, 2022: Traded by the Cleveland Cavaliers with a 2022 1st round draft pick ( was later selected), a 2022 2nd round draft pick ( was later selected) and a 2027 2nd round draft pick ( was later selected) to the Indiana Pacers for Caris Levert and a 2022 2nd round draft pick ( was later selected). Cleveland also received a trade exception 2022 conditional 1st-rd pick is CLE own 2022 2nd-rd pick is HOU own 2027 2nd-rd pick is UTA own

So where exactly was he traded by OKC with 2 picks for the #17?

17. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I try not to look at last season at all besides knowing for sure that Ant can sustain a high level of play offensively. That's all I think we can take from last season. Any other judgments that we derive from guys who got playing time last season are either very limited sample sizes or amount to knowing who can't win us games. Most of those guys who couldn't win games last season were young so hopefully they get better... thus I take one thing away from what I saw last season.

18. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Um... you kinda played yourself on this one because Poku was the 17th pick. I don't want to try and sort out all of the bullshit but they did end up with the 17th pick in that trade you just put a name on it.

Edit: I see, that was two drafts after the trade and that's where the confusion lies. They didn't know they were trading for the 17th pick in the 2021 draft, it just happened to end up the 17th pick that next draft but it could be said that they got the seventeenth pick in the trade where they sent out Rubio it would just be more accurate to say that they got a future first.

19. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I'm not going to track back thru all permutations of the trades, especially not to bother proving or disproving whatever it was HJ claimed

but,

upload_2022-5-12_17-39-25.png

upload_2022-5-12_17-41-23.png

this is a good website for tracking down the particulars of a trade in the NBA, NFL, etc:

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/Search/Search.php

Fairly-Hard likes this.
  20. julius

singer songwriter
    but those picks didn't end up being that, which is what people bitch about the New Orleans pick not ending up to be anything.

Bigger point remains. CJ wasn't worth more than what he got. I don't care what "sauces" people have.

Phatguysrule likes this.