Joe Cronin

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, Dec 7, 2021.

1. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    In normal seasons, anyone who signs an extension is ineligible to be traded for 6 months. So if it's late enough in the off season, it makes that date past the trade deadline. The last two years because of timeline of the off season being later they've reduced that down for this year. Brogdon for example can't be traded this year cause his date is still after the trade deadline.

If a player signs a Super Max they can't be traded for 1 year.

There are also scenarios where a player has veto rights for a year, like when we matched on Crabbe's offer sheet or when we traded for Hood because of his bird rights, but they can still be traded during that season.

But yeah, very rare someone is ineligible to be traded for a full year.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  2. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Any team that trades for Powell knows they have him locked up on a decent contract for 4 more seasons after this one. That's gonna have some value, especially to some small market teams that struggle in free agency.

TBpup, Scalma and Cugel like this.
  3. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

Changes need to come because this roster has me suffering from Cronin's Disease.

hoopsjock and Fez Hammersticks like this.
  4. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

yeah blazers are really set up well to make trades because they have everything; bigger contracts, mid tier contracts, rookie scales, expirings (w/ bird rights.) It’s really just up to Cronin and how much he wants to “blow” it up. You wanna see a team with actual poor assets? Look at the Lakers.

5. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    One of the biggest obstacles to making a bunch of moves during the season is that there are now in essence 20 playoff spots for 30 teams. A lot of teams that would be sellers at this point still feel like they could be a playoff team. Combine that with what Scalma said about teams like the Lakers who could use some of our players but don't really have much to give back in return and it makes for a tough situation.

I feel like Cronin has to make at least one splash if he wants to keep his job past this season, so he shouldn't be afraid to make a big trade.

6. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Sleepy Joe is still analyzing this roster :pokecrap:

7. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

There's just no basis for this. The guy has to make sure that he gets the best deals possible just like other GMs have to, so the likelihood that we won't see anything until around the trade deadline remains high. That doesn't mean that Cronin isn't working or that he is risk averse like Olshey. Complain about what he's done with the roster if you don't like it after the deadline has passed. Sorry but you may have to be patient for a little over six more weeks.

8. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    A little birdie told me….

Joe is waiting to see every different combo play together before he begins to tinker with the roster.

9. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

He has been around long enough to see it. I'm patient until the offseason. If we go into next season with largely the same roster......

10. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

That’s a crock of shit. Not the info, the premise. He’s seen the roster

UKRAINEFAN and illmatic99 like this.
  11. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Lol what combos does he need to see more of

blazerkor and Tince like this.
  12. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Needs to see the Lillard/McCollum/Powell/Simons unit play significant minutes before he can be sure that 4 small guards won't work.

UKRAINEFAN, Voodoo and blazerkor like this.
  13. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

Agreed. This is the style/attitude/thought process that got us into this mess. Essentially "just wait, it's going to work when such and such" or "let's see what happens when... ". It's infuriating that so many people can see what management can't...

14. blazerkor

I think that waiting to see what the best value we can get out of these guys once they're back on the court showing other GMs that they can contribute right away (this especially applies to CJ) makes a lot more sense and when you're getting second hand info, that could easily get morphed into what @Fez Forthright said a little birdie said.

Edit: I'm still giving Joe a chance. If we make trades before the deadline to tank this season and reload in the off season for next season, that's logical. If we make trades that improve the team now and build some momentum with the new group going into the off season and next season, that's also logical even if it means losing our pick and another first round exit. If we do nothing, we will decrease our lottery odds and possibly even squeak into the playoffs through the play in and get swept out of the first round... this would be an exercise in futility, be infuriating and would hopefully end up with a new GM, with actual vision because Joe will have shown nothing.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I was surfing the NBA trade rumor mill and found an article by a Jazz fan/blogger who mentioned the Jazz were interested in Joe Ingles for Roco.......I thought that was interesting...they thought Roco next to Gobert would be a great pairing..Joe can shoot 3s..high bb IQ...probably.got a couple good years left in him

hoopsjock likes this.
  16. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    That's a great trade for us!

riverman likes this.
  17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I thought so too...it went way under the radar but the guy said the Jazz were seriously interested in getting Roco ....I'd do that trade tomorrow and I think this is exactly what Joe should do...target trades like this that will fill holes in the roster

18. blazerkor

As long as one of those trades sends CJ out or Chauncey has the power and guts to not play Dame and CJ together, then those kinds of trades could make the rest of the season more watchable but that's not a major needle mover and would likely only diminish our chances of drafting a difference maker and not make us more competitive when it comes to actually contending any time soon.

In a bubble I love the move but in our reality it's just bailing a little more water out of a still sinking ship.

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

It has nothing to do with CJ....Roco for Ingles gives us some offense at the 4.....we've had games where Roco and Nance combined for 4 pts at the 4.....and we can't outscore anybody now...we need better 3 pt shooting in the starting unit....we have several holes to fill but this is just one of them.

20. blazerkor

Like I said it's a good trade and would result in probably like four more wins which is a pretty big impact but instead of it impacting us in a way that brings us closer to contention, it would just bring us less talent in the draft. The biggest hole we have is our starting back court's inability to defend, if that's not fixed all of the RoCo for Ingles trades in the world as good as they are won't get us where we need to go.

So I'm all for that trade if it is followed up by a much bigger trade or trades that actually bring this team closer to contention. That's if the idea is to be more competitive this season, if the idea is to get the highest pick possible I'm against this trade and would want to trade RoCo for draft considerations and a young player(s) who is much worse than Ingles right now but projects to be better in the future.