Joe Cronin

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, Dec 7, 2021.

1. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    We'd have Ingles' Bird Rights though, he's the type of player that fits with any sort of play style and would help us next year.

James lamphear likes this.
  2. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Ingles provides some offense, but takes the defense down yet another notch. Ingles has been one of the poor performers on that end of the court for the Jazz, which is why he's (rumored to be) on the trade block. Covington lately has shown some glimpses of the old Covington on the defensive end. I guess such a trade might at least make the offense more watchable and therefore Blazers games more entertaining--they can try to win shootouts when Lillard is feeling healthy.

3. Freshtown

Freshtown Well-Known Member

The reason ingles is available is that he’s declining. Prime ingles would be great but he’s a bit washed now.

4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

RoCo for Ingles would be just another in a string of 'olshey-specials'...trades that don't do a damn thing to make Portland better, but do take another piece off the board for trades that could make a difference. Useless trades that mask an ineffective GM. Wasted energy

if RoCo is needed to complete a major trade, fine. If he's traded for a 1st round pick, fine. But RoCo for Ingles is just shuffling deck chairs on a sinking ship

UKRAINEFAN, blazerkor and SlyPokerCat like this.
  5. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

I hope that trade doesn't happen so I don't have to read people praising us for the trade and creating unrealistic hope on how it will turn this sinking ship around.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  6. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Ingles is older, more expensive, meaning more tax $$, and is also an expiring, so doesn't even give us the benefit of a trade chip for the offseason or next year. See no point in that deal unless Utah was sending incentive back with him, and it's not like they have any young guys with intrigue. They also can't move a 1st until 2026, traded away their next 2 2nds. So the best we'd get is Memphis' 2nd round pick this year? No thanks.

7. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

ingles makes no sense

Scalma likes this.
  8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Couldn't disagree more....it's one small trade in a cluster of moves that need to be made now...we need size and scoring and passing....we're getting bupkiss from the 4 starting or off the bench as it is and getting beat every night by 3 pt shooting....we need better 3 pt shooting in Roco's slot...it's neither a useless trade or wasted energy but if you draft another Noah Vonleh or TRob you would be wasting Dames prime waiting 3 years for a guy to learn the NBA game....Dame want's to win now and so do I.....the lottery is a complete crap shoot ....look at Zion. It's time to surround Dame with vets that have chemistry....not rookies that (might) work out. We're going to get a lottery pick anyway......we can have both ....people trust this magical draft rebuild a lot more than I do around here..I want guys on Dame's curve to make a run for the next 3-4 seasons...this isn't one of those seasons.

9. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Ingles makes less than RoCo (about half a million less).

So he'd help our tank!

I know it prevents us for combining Ingles in a trade with other salaries but there might be teams that would be more interested in Ingles than RoCo so it doesn't necessarily take a piece off the board.

RR7 likes this.
  10. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

We have maybe the worst perimeter defense in the league so let’s add a 34 year old Joe Ingles? Lol what? I’m not against trading Roco, but only for another defensive minded player, maybe some younger talent who hasn’t broken out yet. Otherwise I’d just keep him around. That goes for everyone else that plays defense on this team..which is pretty much just Nance and Nurk, and maybe Little. CJ, Powell, Simons are my top trade guys, in order.

HailBlazers, blazerkor and RR7 like this.
  11. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Weird, one site I went to showed him at 14, but everywhere else is below that. One has him at 12.4, but then with 600k in likely incentives, so I'm assuming their contracts are pretty much the same.

Although, searching through
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...-joe-ingles-agrees-1-year-extension-worth-14m

I imagine this was what was showing up, and where I was getting my 14 number from, so I don't know what to believe.

hoopsjock likes this.
  12. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    I still think the most logical RoCo trade is to the Bulls for our pick back (so we can trade future 1sts again). Just need to find a 3rd team since we can't take back Derrick Jones.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  13. wizenheimer

again, RoCo for Ingles doesn't do anything good for Portland. Nothing positive long term, and nothing positive short term. It doesn't help the tank, which may be the biggest failure. Doesn't improve the team enough to make a smidgen of difference in the playoffs. Makes the Blazers worse defensively and on the boards. Makes Portland older and slower. Doesn't get Portland under the tax line. Doesn't add any asset with any future value.

it would be a distraction trade that would waste effort and energy. It would simply be another of the same useless moves that have defined the Olshey legacy and locked Portland in purgatory

illmatic99 likes this.
  14. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

I’m trying to think of something less exciting than RoCo for Ingles. Please hold.

illmatic99 likes this.
  15. wizenheimer

fine...then propose a 3 team trade and I might have a different assessment of value. But RoCo for Ingles does nothing good for Portland

as far as Ingles salary, both Spotrac and BBInsiders show it as $13,036,364

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/utah-jazz/cap/
    https://www.basketballinsiders.com/utah-jazz-team-salary/

16. riverman

riverman Writing Team

couldn't disagree more but go with your choices....I don't want to blow it up and gamble on draft picks in Dames prime and I think Ingles is a hell of a lot better than you do apparently...and you might express your choices without the condescending adjectives but hey......you're welcome to your opinions. Joe Ingles is an asset to me and getting him doesn't make us worse or in purgatory (whatever that means)....maybe you want to keep an expiring Roco on the roster ...I want to replace him with a rotation player.

17. illmatic99

either that or a pick. any option to land a first for roco, you do it

18. illmatic99

id rather take salary fillers and multiple seconds instead of ingles

blazerkor likes this.
  19. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Fuck.

WTF is Sleepy Joe waiting for — the Dennis Smith and Cody Zeller combo?

He did learn under the least creative GM in NBA history, I’ll be surprised if he shakes things up.

20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Hard to sell teams on collapsed lungs and knee injuries....