Joe the Przybilla

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Nov 6, 2008.

1. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

wasn't he one of the best in per-48 though?

The difference in our team when Joel had to go out was extremely obvious... to say we should "Cut or trade" Joel, considering Oden is in his 2nd year in the NBA and has played 13 minutes is somewhat laughable.

2. Jayps15

Jayps15 Active Member

Joel was 2nd in the league in rebound rate last year, which corrects for time played and team pace. And so far this season he's 3rd...

But yea we should totally get rid of the only healthy center we have:crazy:

3. anonymous gambler

anonymous gambler Member

Actually that's bad math- because you would have 30 minutes of play in either instance. It's not just 100% for 20 minutes- it's 100 percent for 20 minutes plus whatever Oden's replacement would do in the remaining 10 minutes.

that said, I don't think we can really quantify this!

4. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Never thought I'd hear Joel described as our healthiest center, but it's unfortunately an accurate statement these day.

Even if Oden was 100% right now, which he won't be for a very long time, I would not trade Joel unless it was part of a package that brought us a star player at SF or PG in return. Even when healthy, Oden won't be playing more than 30 - 35 minutes per game. We will need someone to spell him for stretches and he will also occasionally be in foul trouble.

Joel is a great back-up center. He's a very good rebounder and a good shot blocker. Yeah, he's a weak offensive player, but the game is played at both ends of the court. He's been the best rebounder on a weak rebounding team for the last several seasons, and as has been pointed out, one of the best rebounders in the entire league on a per minutes basis. We have enough scorers on the second unit (Rudy, Outlaw, Fye and eventually Bayless), that we'll need Joel's rebounding and defense much more than a 5th scorer off the bench.

As weak as he is offensively, Joel has always known his limitations and doesn't try to do more than he's capable of on offense. He has a career FG% of 0.545 and is shooting 0.800 from the field so far this season. Yeah, I know the sample size is small, but he's only missed 3 FG in 6 games so far this season (12 - 15). He also sets good screens, which helps free up the more talented offensive players for some easy looks. So, his contributions on offense aren't completely non-existent.

BNM

5. Masbee

Masbee -- Rookie of the Year

Just to clarify, Joel is one of the best rebounders in the NBA.

He happens to play on a team that has the slowest pace in the NBA, thus reducing his opportunities to rack up more boards.

He happens to play limited minutes due to past durability issues, limited offensive game, foul troubles, coaching decision, etc.

But, when Joel is out on the floor, there are few in the NBA better at vacumning up the boards.

That fact (your 33rd stat is worthless, just like points per game is), and his excellent defense and setting brutal picks are why he gets as much playing time as he does.

6. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

You forgot to mention that Joel held Yao to 13 points on 4 - 13 shooting and 6 rebounds in that Houston game. With Oden out, we don't have anyone else that is close to being able to guard Yao in the low post.

Since you actually watched the game, you are no doubt aware that we built that 10 point lead with TMac and Yao on the bench. Joel came back in the game to guard Yao when Houston brought back their starting unit. The Blazers lost that lead because they couldn't hit a shot, turned the ball over and couldn't stop TMac. The Blazers didn't score in the last 3:18 of regulation. They had plenty of open shots, they just couldn't make anything. Roy made only 1 of his last 10 shots during regulation and the Blazers as a team only made 2 of their last 16 FGA during regulation. The poor shooting was the reason Houston was able to come back from 10 down and send it into overtime.

BNM

7. Webster's Dictionary

Webster's Dictionary I am Iron Man

Video Editor
    Joel is a great backup center, and serviceable starter. He is an upper tier defender (I'd put him about #10 among centers) and a good rebounder. Saying he is a waste of space sounds like someone who has never seen him play. He OBVIOUSLY effects the offense with his interior presence, and it's obvious to anybody who watches that he goes hard after the rebounds.

I'm all for Joel starting for the first few games that Greg is back while he gets more comfortable and in the flow. Then at some point you enter him into the starting lineup while still giving Joel more minutes. Then you slowly increase PT for Greg until he's 100%. This will take pressure off of him, and give him a chance to get back into game shape.

8. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Przybilla had the second best rebound rate in the league last year, second only to Dwight Howard. Thanks for playing, try again.

9. Nate4Prez

Nate4Prez . . . .

Clearly, we are not watching the same guy, we are talking about Joel Pryzbilla, not Joe the Plumber, but I could see how the thread title confused you.

10. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Joel isn't averaging 11 rpg. Where did that stat come from?

I will say that I think we got off to a slow start against the Lakers because of Oden. Not because he played horribly but because the team wasn't used to playing with him and I think they were a bit nervous with him. Once Joel entered the game, it looked like the team relaxed and started playing better.