Johnny Interception

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by totus44, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    Good take on Favre, tho' I still would take Rodgers anyday over Brett. Yes, that MNF game was one for the HOF Ages, indeed.

Did you see Rodgers beat down the USC #1 ranked team, by an approx score of 49-48??? Now that was a gem, blowing up Pete the Crook Carroll's dream team...

If there is but one knock on Favre, it would be, his 1st half anxiety issues, for 3/4ths of his Career. Causing him to miss many an open target, as much was revealed in His Super Bowl win vs. those Patsies, in 96.

2. Mattingly23NY

As far as Favre, Rodgers, or Starr, I'd much rather have the pure passer, Bill Dickey, over the others. Anyone recall the MNF "Point a Minute Game" in 83?

here's the link to the 48-47 shoot out b/t Theisman and Dickey, with James Lofton, Joe Washington, Art Monk, Riggins, Darrell Green, Jan Stenerud and Mike Moseley....now that was as exciting a game as it ever gets....!

3. Mattingly23NY

4. blgridesagain

blgridesagain team player

Good take on Favre, tho' I still would take Rodgers anyday over Brett. Yes, that MNF game was one for the HOF Ages, indeed.

Did you see Rodgers beat down the USC #1 ranked team, by an approx score of 49-48??? Now that was a gem, blowing up Pete the Crook Carroll's dream team...

Rogers - imo - is BETTER at this point in their careers than Brett (INT Machine) FavRAY....and while Rogers probably won't have as long a career, or superior total numbers, I can see Rogers still being the better QB when he is finished.

One thing on Brady - he's lost two Super Bowls both to the Giants, but when he left the field in Super Bowl XLII with 2:45 to go...he had just drivin his team on a 8+ minute drive to give them a 14-10 lead, and he got his butt absolutely hammered that day by the Giants' pass rush. You may not like him...but Brady is going to be VERY VERY high on most lists when it comes to all-time great QBs.

And by the way....Eli has won two Supes, and yes, I would take him over his brother in The Big Game.
    He also took a beating in the playoffs, 3 games on the road (very impressive), on his way to a Super Bowl win.

Eli is one good tough battle tested QB.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Mattingly23NY

I got to agree with you on all points, tho' as is obvious I will never and never have been a Tom Brady fan. Yet, I won't argue he is owed his due, for his performances over his career....

Eli, is the Son of Moses.....always loved that Manning touch, & can never forget Archie's scatter back QB performances, more at Ole Miss, than New Orleans, or as they say down there in dem bayous, "Nawlins"....

Has anyone forgotten this on Archie M.: "Archie was selected in the Major League Baseball draft four times, first in 1967 by the Braves, twice by the White Sox, and finally by the Royals in 1971."

Guess I'll have to talk with my Psycho-Analyst to comprehend what the hidden factor is over never caring for Brady???
    It could be no more than Beantown's Teams I never have cared for. Even the Celtics, I preferred my West Coast Lakers, Kareem, Magic, Coop a Loop, J. Worthy and Rambis.....didn't care as much for Kobe and Shaq, the way they whined and bitched about each other, no Team in I.....

6. Mattingly23NY

Not to forget the greats: Wilt the Stilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, all studs and stars the year I moved out to So. Cal. 1970.

7. blgridesagain

Gail Goodrich was a fine guard.

8. blgridesagain

Dan Fouts

9. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...that SOB used to kill the Raiders...epic battles.

10. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    Tim Couch

11. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    As much as I hate all things Boston, Brady has had lesser receivers and played outdoors for his entire career, Peyton played more than half his games in climate controlled domes. Ill take Brady over Peyton. Ill take Joe Cool over Brady though.

12. Mattingly23NY

I'd take Joe Cool over anyone too, (incl. all the other greats, Unitas, Ferguson, Bradshaw, Grise, Tarkenton, Dawson, Lamonica, Starr, Dickey, Favre, A-Rodgers, Brady, the Mannings, all 3 of them, you name it I'll take Joe Cool anyday of the week)....

13. Mattingly23NY

A true Gunslinger if there ever was one. I enjoyed his epic battles with Raiders, Dolphins especially in 82 AFC-Division Series, yet Woodley of all QB's beat those Air Coryell greats....!! I see Fouts and Lynn Dickey as equals, as far as true gunslingers 1st, neither could run worth a shit....thus the arms worked overtime....!

14. blgridesagain

Don Coryell - AIR CORYELL.... I always thought he didn't get enough credit for his passing game.
    He also had the Cards previously with Jim Hart QB (to Mel Gray)...good passing teams. Don Coryell was ahead of his time.

15. Mattingly23NY

And-

In 1960, he was an assistant coach under John McKay for the USC Trojans, where the I formation would be its signature offense for decades.[4] While the origin of the I formation is unclear, Coryell was one of its pioneers....

and- this one Unbelievable: .......

John Madden served as Coryell's defensive assistant at SDSU. Madden had first met Coryell attending a coaching clinic on the I formation led by McKay.[8] "We'd go to these clinics, and afterward, everyone would run up to talk to McKay," said Madden. "Coryell was there because he introduced (McKay). I was thinking, 'If (McKay) learned from him, I'll go talk to (Coryell).'

16. blgridesagain

Coryell is basically the father of the modern West Coast offense.

Think pass first to attack defenses,.....put in motion the tight-end and RB to flood passing zones, three receivers on one side, always look for opportunity to throw the bomb.
    Use a tight-end as a pass receiver first option- before that they were primarily used as blockers and weren't much more than offensive linemen who could catch an occasiona ball.
    I remember those Cardinal teams of the mid-late 1970s - even back then "we" noticed something different and exciting about their passing attack lol.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  17. Mattingly23NY

His Freshman year was impressive no doubt. His 2nd year on went into Defeat vs BAMA, after that 1 time. From then on Smoke and Mirrors Manziel, became easy to defend against, moreso than previous season(s) games, despite his stats, He could NOT beat Saban's Crimson Tide. There in the Crimson, came a ton of talent. Julio Jones, Mark Ingram, Clinton Haw Haw Dix, Laney of Green Bay. T. Richardson broke all of Ingram's records, by tripling the stats in numbers b/t Mark and Trent. Richardson, is not breaking through yet. All he needs is a strong O-Line....!!!

18. blgridesagain

John McKay -

After receiving harsh criticism from the media, McKay said: "You guys don't know the difference between a football and a bunch of bananas." In the next interview, members of the media left bananas for McKay. He then replied, "You guys don't know the difference between a football and a Mercedes Benz."

19. Mattingly23NY

Bwahaha too good.......quick wit, does wonders for a quick strike offense.....! or sure strike....!