Jose Aldo to meet with DFW, UFC brass about contract termination next Wednesday

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by speeds, Oct 12, 2016.

1. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/10/...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

"I’m waiting. That’s the situation now," Aldo said. "We have a meeting scheduled to solve everything, but everything has been said already. We will see what happens in this meeting. I can talk more when I return."

According to Aldo, he was already considering retirement after losing to Conor McGregor atUFC 194 last December, but his manager and coach Andre Pederneiras convinced him to take one more fight. He returned to action at UFC 200 against Frankie Edgar, and won via unanimous decision.

"(Dana White) can offer me anything," Aldo said. "I started to get unmotivated back then, when I lost the belt. I was the champion for so long I had the right to get an immediate rematch and they didn’t give it to me, and I wanted to walk in a different direction but ‘Dede’ (Pederneiras) made me fight again. I went there, fought and won, and again (the rematch) didn’t come. I have no desire to fight again. I don’t have any excitement to fight anymore. I have other projects in my life. I wanted to retire as champion and I’m the champion today. I want to follow another path."

2. speeds

I'm pretty sure the UFC's contract language makes champions exempt from waiting out their contracts, meaning he is under contract in perpetuity. They will probably amend his deal to allow him to do anything but fight if he really is done with MMA. I highly doubt they will terminate his deal without prejudice.

3. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Will he last longer than 13 seconds?

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  4. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Aldo has every right to be upset. He does deserve a rematch. But money talks. Added in the fact that aldo is unreliable to fight on fight night..... tough shit. I understand dana may have lied, but enough with the emo stuff. He comes accross as a little baby.

I have shit that angers me all the time at work, but who gives a fuck. I still come in everyday.

5. speeds

Apparently the meeting went well, whatever that means, but Aldo is still unhappy.

AFAIK the Brazilian market is now the second biggest for the UFC and their Globo partner is their main partner. I'm guessing they will be less willing to part ways with big Brazilian stars than others.