Josh Smith, The New Dunk Champion

Discussion in 'Atlanta Hawks' started by Buckets, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

Josh Smith just won his first dunk contest at 19 years of age being the second youngest and third hawk player to ever win. The first dunk he threw down was from a step in front of the free throw line. The 2nd dunk he roared was IMO his best of the contest, it was the one where he got Kenyon to throw his an alley-oop off the chair and he jumped over Kenyon and windmilled it. The third dunk J-smoove brought out was the one he honored Dominique Wilkins with by wearing 'Niques jersey while doing the windmill. And his last but not least was a 360 windmill he threw down jumping from the low block on the left baseline. I thought Josh's performance was amazing, and he fully deserved the honor of winning it. Magic was thanking him after the game for bringing the dunk contest back and someone from the TNT crew said if his jumper was a little finer tuned he'd be a force to be reckoned with. Your Thoughts? (heres some pictures for you guys)

Josh Smith throws it down

Smith soars in Above K-Mart

Smith's Alley-Oop from Martin

Dominique Dunk

J-Smoove Windmill

2. bbwTwinTowers

bbwTwinTowers BBW Member

The Hawks actually win something this year!!!

3. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

This kid can jump, that was amazing...he is a great core for the Hawks to build around..he had my eyes like whoa [​IMG]

4. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Congratulations to Josh Smith. Winning the NBA Dunk Contest at 19 years of age in your rookie season is a great achievement. His name will go down with some of the NBA's greats as the Dunk Contest Champion.

5. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

Josh Smith killed it last night...Would've been more entertaining to see him and JR Smith go at it, but Chris Anderson sabotaged JR. Sick dunks....Especially the windmill over K-Mart, and the Throwback 'Nique windmill....He tried emulating Vince's 360 windmill, but it wasn't the same since he's a lefty, but still very nice.

6. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

Did anyone else realize that some of the dunks that came from this years contest were ones that were done in the game NBA live 2005? Very sick.

J-Smooth just killed it. He and the rest of the field (except for the Birdman) just made this dunk contest one of the best ones since VC did it.

7. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

Yeah, Smith had some great dunks last night. I'm not trying to take anything away from him or anything, but I think the judges were a little wack last night. Like JR Smith's first dunk was better than Amare and Josh's, but he got the same score. I woulda also loved to see a Smith-Smith final. btw, I was rooting for Josh the whole way. [​IMG]

8. Nasty

Nasty JBB Sorry, I killed Fever

Amazing performance by Josh Smith.
    I'll tell you what, Vince, Kobe, J Rich, and LeBron got a loud warning.

9. bbwTwinTowers

bbwTwinTowers BBW Member

Yeah Courtvision I noticed that, like J.R. Smith's 1st dunk and Andersen tring to throw the ball off the scoreboard.

10. Beat

Beat JBB JustBBall Member

I knew J.R Smith could dunk so no suprise there but Josh Smith suprised me. Much respect for Josh Smith, Hes impressed me all season... And i thought he would be a bust [​IMG]

11. PHENOMENON

PHENOMENON JBB JustBBall Member

Congrats to Josh Smith.

I hope he doesn't go down being known as a dunker though.

12. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    I'd always had the impression that Josh Smith was more of an in-game, power dunker, but he pulled some really great tricks. That dunk over KMart and the 360 windmill were great. I personally thought he deserved each of the 3 50's that he got.

13. jbbCavsFan23

jbbCavsFan23 JBB JustBBall Member

Everyone on Joshs bandwagon now..............jeez.

14. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Originally posted by CavsFan23
    Everyone on Joshs bandwagon now..............jeez.</div>

I agree, I was one of the very few members before on this site that had respect for Josh's game but now everyone just likes him because he's got a 40" vert and he can dunk with the best of 'em. I didnt post this before because I kind of liked the more active Hawks forum, it's been a while since theres been this much talk in this forum.

15. twool913

twool913 JBB JustBBall Member

^^yeah everyone sure loves j-smith. Riiigghht. They like his dunks, he still has very little else going for him yet, except hes a crazy dunking machine. People should've known he was crazy if you'd seen his 10's of highlights this year.

But i mean, i'm sure you guys feel really special.

16. SanQuinn

SanQuinn JBB Banned Member

I dont remember a player ever being this overrated after a dunk contest. He is like Vince Carter, minus the skills.

17. SanQuinn

The good thing is that he is still young and has time to develop and improve his skills. But if would have never worn that Dominque Wilkens jersey, that dunk did not deserve a 50. Oh yeah, was it Kenny Smith that was saying all that stuff about Lebron James, Vince Carter, and Kobe better watch out. WTF how could he leave out J-Rich? Now there is an underrated player!

18. Beat

Beat JBB JustBBall Member

Harold Miner?

19. SanQuinn

Ha! I almost forgot about the "Next Jordan". Yeah he was overrated, but he was already overrated before the dunk contest.
    Josh Smith's dunks were good, not great, nothing I hadnt seen before. Similar to Fred Jones, he won the dunk contest but didn't even have the best dunk. I have to give that one to Amare (even though Nash deserves more credit). Also, I thought the JR Smith's deserved a 50 and was better than most of the dunks since it was original.

20. jbbCavsFan23

jbbCavsFan23 JBB JustBBall Member

Harold miner, "Baby Jordan" man he could get up though.