OT Judge gives Nic Batum's ex-wife wide access to his financial information in divorce dispute

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Jul 10, 2015.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Attorneys for former Portland Trail Blazer Nic Batum and his ex-wife, Melanie Pimentel, were back in court Friday, this time to deal with Pimentel's extensive request for information about Batum's finances.

The 45-minute hearing offered a few insights into Batum's personal finances.

For example, Batum receives $350,000 annually from an endorsement deal with Adidas. The money goes to a French trust for the benefit of his mother and sister, said his attorney, Gary Bullock.

The deep dive into Batum's financial records in the United States and France – Batum is a French citizen – is an overreach by Pimentel, Bullock said.

Pimentel "appears to be conducting reconnaissance of husband's assets outside the scope of this litigation to gear up for some other situation where the wife may seek to literally strip mine husband's assets, including possible foreign actions," Bullock said in a court filing.

Batum and Pimentel, who did not attend the hearing, divorced in October 2013. He agreed to pay her a $5 million settlement to be paid over three years. But Batum immediately fell behind in his payments, starting with the initial $1 million due in January 2014.

Pimentel took Batum to court for breach of contract and claimed he was around $216,000 in arrears. In August, Clackamas County Circuit Court Judge Eve Miller found Batum in contempt for failure to comply with the terms of the divorce settlement.

Batum did not attend the August hearing and was not represented by an attorney. At the time, he was caught up with his payments and had overpaid by around $90,000.

[​IMG]
    Melanie Pimentel, flanked by her lawyers, at a December 2014 hearing in Clackamas County Circuit Court.Steve Mayes/The Oregonian

Pimentel's attorney at the time blamed the mistake on a math error, and Miller ordered a do-over. Miller ordered a new hearing, now scheduled for October, on the original breach of contract dispute.

At issue is whether Batum had the resources to make timely payments to Pimentel.

Pimentel's attorney, Alexandra Nowlin, questioned Batum's claim that he didn't have the money to pay Pimentel.

Nowlin asked pro tem Judge Roxanne Scott to order Batum to provide a wide range of financial documents that cover his income, expenses and business activities in the United States and France.

"Mr. Batum knows very little about his financial circumstances," said Nowlin, citing statements Batum made in a deposition.

"I know he spends a lot of money," Nowlin said.

Scott ordered Batum to provide copies of tax returns, financial statements showing his net worth, bank and retirement account statements, and documents showing all income Batum received in 2014, including cash from endorsement deals.

Batum also will have to disclose details about any U.S. or French companies in which he has an interest, assets worth more than $10,000 and his credit card bills.

Bullock renewed his argument that Pimentel willingly accepted partial payments for months before she claimed Batum breached the contract.

Bullock argued the agreement calls for Batum to make payments from the proceeds of his Blazers' salary. He had a $36 million, three-year contract. Last month the Blazers traded Batum, who played for Portland for seven seasons, to the Charlotte Hornets.

Bullock said that after taxes, his agent's fee, NBA Players Association payments, Batum pockets less that 40 percent of his pay.

Another issue yet to be decided in court: Who is responsible for attorneys' fees.

Nowlin said that Batum should pay legal costs because Pimentel had to take him to court to collect money owed her.

Bullock said Batum shouldn't bear the burden. Batum was in arrears for seven months but was paid up by the time the case came before a judge and Pimentel was accepting the late payments.

Bullock said that as of December, Pimentel's attorneys' bill exceeded $100,000.

The October 2013 divorce settlement called Batum to make monthly payments of $111,111 for three years, and $30,000 a month in spousal support payments for at least one year. Batum is in compliance with the terms of the deal, Bullock said.

-- Steve Mayes

smayes@oregonian.com

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2015/07/judge_gives_nic_batums_ex-wife.html#incart_2box

2. Chrionex

Chrionex Fuck Texas

What a shitshow.

3. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Pre.

Nup.

Nikolokolus and lawai'a like this.
  4. SlyPokerDog

He agreed to the divorce settlement, he needs to pay the money and move on.

Nikolokolus and JFizzleRaider like this.
  5. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    I bet Nic is a big fan of Bill Burr's comedy now.

6. SlyPokerDog

That's just sad.

7. SlyPokerDog

Oh no, he only gets 40% of $36million?!? That poor poor man, it's just not fair. He should leave this terrible country and go back to France when his contract is up. I'm sure the taxes in France are much more reasonable.

dead247 likes this.
  8. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

That was also his choice.

9. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    It isn't the money, guys! It's the crate of Cabernet Sauvignon '68 and original Jacques Brel LPs that he's trying to keep from her. He's French. They do things differently over there.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    SlyPokerDog likes this.
  10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

We've got Hornets and Nuggets on the front page of this forum.... what is the world coming to?

11. SlyPokerDog

Hornet Nuggets sounds like a breakfast cereal.

dviss1 likes this.
  12. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Batum needs a financial adviser asap.

I would be happy to help him, I love Nic. But I'm not expecting his call.

barfo

13. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

What's French for "Pre-Nup"??

14. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Actually taxes in France are fucking horrible! Last time I went, many people laughed at me when I said I pay roughly 40% of my wage.

15. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Le Creme de cock

16. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

And anyone cares why?

17. SlyPokerDog

I knew that, that's why I said what I did. Even if France didn't tax any of his earnings he wouldn't make anything near what he does in the NBA. His attorney's statement was insulting.

magnifier661 likes this.
  18. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Sir, this is an outrage to the South! Suh, I is outraged! I demand you take back this slanderous truth! Give my young childless client her $111,000 per month forthwith! It was hard work being married for 2 years to a handsome young athlete! My pal Sly is pissed about your semantic truth!

magnifier661 likes this.
  19. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

There is no positive to being rich and married.

20. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Got to think he has not had the same kind of education either. He started playing basketball very young.