OT Juneteenth

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Mediocre Man, Jun 6, 2019.

?

Do you know what Juneteenth is

Poll closed Jun 16, 2019.
  1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

66.7%
  1. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Thats not fair man. If you don't know something exists how do you know to ask or look for it?

I give a fuck. I reach out. Not once has this been explained or mentioned to me until this thread.

calvin natt, riverman and dviss1 like this.
  2. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

OK so the first part of that post is wrong. But the fact is, this holiday has been suppressed for a reason and there's a reason why it isn't a national holiday.

Hell, part of the reason why I couldn't stand John McCain is because he was racist when it came to MLK Day in AZ.

We KNOW why it's not a national holiday.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  3. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

First part of my post or your post?

4. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Mine. Sorry shoulda clarified.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  5. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

right on. I thought so. :)

dviss1 likes this.
  6. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

No one is judging y'all on the color of your skin. Stop with that bullshit.

What I'm saying is, white people as a whole need to understand the sins of their forefathers and FIX this shit that they created.

This day and age it is NOT enough to simply not be racist. One must be actively working toward equality.

7. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

So it's my responsibility to "fix" things my ancestors from Europe had nothing to do with?

God says children should not pay for the sins of their father, or Visa versa.

Should I be held accountable for crimes other white people committed in the past? Should you be held accountable for crimes black people committed in the past.

Of course not

riverman likes this.
  8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

When we stop Color tagging each other period we'll make some progress on the equality front....or gender tagging each other..etc….lumping demographics into a whole is unhealthy from your camp or mine...my politics were to interracially marry and have children...then teach them that mom and dad are just mom and dad....not white dad and asian mom...etc..we just become productive members of the community if we live by example. Blood feuds throughout history never end well.....my ancestor killed your ancestor and took his land....goes way beyond American history....if you reach back you can blame Ghengis Khan for a lot of slavery, or the romans or Egyptians...it's not a "black and white" issue......slavery existed all throughout history and still does in places like Central Africa...and dviss...these are all things WE collectively should work to change and address WITH each other not AT each other.....my 2 cents

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Chris Craig and noknobs like this.
  9. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Instead of saying "As a society, we need to stop judging people on the color of their skin, and focus on if they are an asshole or not."
    Why not say "As a society, we need to stop judging people on the color of their skin, and focus on if they are a good person or not."
    I think it's like going from a glass half empty to a glass half full.
    I didn't create this situation but I have benefited from it so I see a need to correct it at my expense. But then anytime someone is downtrodden by others it seems moral to me to be part of the solution rather than a continuation of the problem,
    If you can't see it this way then think how much more productive we can be as a nation if we just treat each other decently.
    When I see a Black child in a grocery store, both I and my wife make an effort to give that child a lasting good feeling about others by interacting in a nice and positive way such as some nice smiles and complimenting the mother on how good looking her child is. Wouldn't we want the same for our child?
    Edit: We've gotta make up for all those assholes who make a person feel worse just because of their skin color, or sex, or sexual orientation, or physical or mental handicap, or whatever.

dviss1 likes this.
  10. Mediocre Man

Honestly, more people knew about it than I thought they would

11. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

You still benefit from Slavery and Jim Crow so yes. I don't subscribe to God or religion. This country was not founded by Christians.

You're not being held accountable for anything. WTF are you talking about? We're simply asking for repair for damages.

The same kind of repair that was promised to us (40 acres and a mule) and never delivered. The same kind of repair that was given to the Japanese.

The same kind of repair given to the Jews.

It's not some foreign concept and would be an immediate economic stimulator. It's really a no brainer.

12. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

13. Mediocre Man

For you. It would cost me money

14. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Well, duh. News flash, money doesn't grow on trees despite what Trump might tell you.

15. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Pay up. You're living on land right now that was owned by the natives and worked by the blacks.

Pay the fuck up.

Lanny likes this.
  16. riverman

riverman Writing Team

bullshit....I'm not living on any land that fits that line.....my grandmother was Lakota Sioux....you should know they did not believe in owning the land and no African slaves were working the timber here in Lane County …..Chinese were building flumes though in the cascades...my irish indentured servant ancestors have paid up.....with their lives fighting for freedom for slaves actually....where's their check? The slave hunters in Africa....mostly arabs at the time or the Dutch who shipped them here....are you taking them to court for reparations? Slaves became slaves in Africa.....changed owners in many countries but the guilty are those who hunted them down and sold then in Ghana....go to the source and address the atrocity..then follow the chain of abuse.....children were enslaved in sweatshops when the country was founded as well....many eastern Europeans...do they also get reparations?

MarAzul likes this.
  17. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

So how much should each black citizen get in reparations? 40 acres and a mule seems outdated.

18. Mediocre Man

Aren't you also living on land right now that was owned by native Americans?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  19. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

20. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee