Just Giving your money away...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by S_Gurad, Jul 9, 2007.

1. S_Gurad

S_Gurad BBW Elite Member

What would it take 4 you to give some of your assets usually money to a homeless person or charity? Do you give them money anyway despite any props or positive schemes they are pulling?-Does it take a funny sign-A interesting talent or act like dancing around in a donkey costume or playing an instrument- noticing the persons disability like blindness or severe burns- smelling like sh*t- loud and clear explanations yelled out to the public in the area-At the register paying for your items and they ask you to donate a dollar<- I hate this methodWhat does it take 4 you to give your money away to a stranger who has obvious problems or for a charity pulling you aside asking you for a donation? or something similar?

2. Mobruler

Mobruler BBW VIP

I would only donate money to a foundation for people with diseases or disabilities beyond their control. A homeless American person deserves no sympathy. Every American is given an oppurtunity to succeed in life and someone who does not take advantage of that because of their own laziness deserves nothing from me.

3. Justice

Justice BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mobruler @ Jul 9 2007, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I would only donate money to a foundation for people with diseases or disabilities beyond their control. A homeless American person deserves no sympathy. Every American is given an oppurtunity to succeed in life and someone who does not take advantage of that because of their own laziness deserves nothing from me.</div>While I do agree with that to some extent, some people can't get jobs. It's really hard to get a job if you have severe epilepsy, if you're missing a leg, etc. I've also seen guys on the streets after losing jobs at big corporations. It really can happen to anybody. That said, yeah, most are homeless because of drugs and alcohol.edit: I have given money away several times. I really shouldn't and I prefer not to, because a lot of times the guys are just going to spend it on crack or a bottle of whatever. If a person says they're hungry, it's best to take them to McDonald's or Wendy's and buy them a combo or something. If they need money for shelter, take them to a place they can stay.One time this guy was on the street next to the campus of my university. He had a cast on his leg. He asked me if I was Christian and at the time, I was. So I sat and talked with him for a while. He said something about getting a ride down from Oklahoma and having no money for a ride back. I told him that I knew some people that could probably get him a ticket if he needed one. I told him that I couldn't afford to buy him a ticket because I am a college student and don't have that kind of money. He told me that it wasn't really that expensive, and asked me how much money I had. I continued to tell him that I wasn't going to give him money for a ticket, but if he wanted one, I could get him one. I told him that I know how people on the streets operate and that most of them want money for drugs and alcohol. He hushed me as I said this, and I asked why he was embarrassed if he didn't do them. Eventually he gave up and I went to work.A couple weeks later some kid wrote into the school paper about being swindled by this guy and how he had given this guy money. The guy on the street asked the student for money again later because he didn't remember the student from before.

4. S_Gurad

S_Gurad BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Justice @ Jul 9 2007, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>A couple weeks later some kid wrote into the school paper about being swindled by this guy and how he had given this guy money. The guy on the street asked the student for money again later because he didn't remember the student from before.</div>wow lol, but it's pretty sad.|I give people money occasionally.| RARELY.| However, for charities I will usually give up some change or a dollar.| I work at a bakery and I give people the food I take home for myself.| Confectioners sugar= the other crack.| Less harmful than the real stuff tho.|

5. Pacers fan forever

Pacers fan forever BBW Elite Member

Never give money directley to people on the street, I say give it to them throught charities - the charities control the money, they make sure it's used in a good way. If you want to give something directley, give out bibles, actual food, water bottles....

6. 7Goat

7Goat BBW Hip-Hop Head

I gave a guy a dollar but only because he was really polite, and plus I felt like a philanthropic god after.

7. Roaming

Roaming Back In Black! erm...in Colour!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Justice @ Jul 9 2007, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>While I do agree with that to some extent, some people can't get jobs. It's really hard to get a job if you have severe epilepsy, if you're missing a leg, etc. I've also seen guys on the streets after losing jobs at big corporations. It really can happen to anybody. That said, yeah, most are homeless because of drugs and alcohol.edit: I have given money away several times. I really shouldn't and I prefer not to, because a lot of times the guys are just going to spend it on crack or a bottle of whatever. If a person says they're hungry, it's best to take them to McDonald's or Wendy's and buy them a combo or something. If they need money for shelter, take them to a place they can stay.One time this guy was on the street next to the campus of my university. He had a cast on his leg. He asked me if I was Christian and at the time, I was. So I sat and talked with him for a while. He said something about getting a ride down from Oklahoma and having no money for a ride back. I told him that I knew some people that could probably get him a ticket if he needed one. I told him that I couldn't afford to buy him a ticket because I am a college student and don't have that kind of money. He told me that it wasn't really that expensive, and asked me how much money I had. I continued to tell him that I wasn't going to give him money for a ticket, but if he wanted one, I could get him one. I told him that I know how people on the streets operate and that most of them want money for drugs and alcohol. He hushed me as I said this, and I asked why he was embarrassed if he didn't do them. Eventually he gave up and I went to work.A couple weeks later some kid wrote into the school paper about being swindled by this guy and how he had given this guy money. The guy on the street asked the student for money again later because he didn't remember the student from before.</div>quick question, are you christian now? if no, what are you?

8. Justice

Justice BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pacers fan forever @ Jul 9 2007, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Never give money directley to people on the street, I say give it to them throught charities - the charities control the money, they make sure it's used in a good way. If you want to give something directley, give out bibles, actual food, water bottles....</div>Charities aren't entirely reliable. Although they work under the term "non-profit organization," they always take a cut out of whatever you donate. You also have no idea what they're spending it on. I remember there was a controversy with The American Red Cross, because they asked for all this blood to be donated after 9/11. Turned out that they ended up throwing most of that blood away because they had too much.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RaptorFan#1 @ Jul 9 2007, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>quick question, are you christian now? if no, what are you?</div>No, I guess I'm atheist. Either that or apathetic.

9. playaofthegame

playaofthegame AYO ADRIEN!

I wouldn't give money to a homeless person I was walking by on the street. It isn't my job to feed them, it's the state's job. I know that may sound like a dickhead comment but most of those people will just go and buy booze or caine with that money anyway. I also won't donate to charaties unless I am directly giving the money to the people. Remember when we were at war with Afghanistan and in school they passed around cans or whatever to collect money for the children there. If the government stole that money to fund the war, would you be surprised? The companies just steal this money and it never actually gets to the people. So in the end, without knowing it you could be funding a war. A quarter is never gonna help a disease. If you really wanna help, then go the medical school and do the research yourself to help the disease. Either that or go to hospitals around the country and donate money.It's bullsh** when they say "Every little penny counts." No it doesn't. They just do that so you feel good about yourself for donating a friggin penny.I don't know how to say it but it just frustrates me the way charaties and things of that nature steal money people pay to help other people.Really, if you wanna help money isn't gonna help. Go out to Africa, take action and make a difference. That's how you can help.

10. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

I will never give money to anyone on the street. I will never give my hard earned money to someone who instead of trying to fix their situation walks the streets. Obviously their's a percentage of people that are homeless that have mental illness and other issues, but overall, I don't think enough of them try hard enough to do something about it.

11. Opal

Opal Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mobruler @ Jul 9 2007, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I would only donate money to a foundation for people with diseases or disabilities beyond their control. A homeless American person deserves no sympathy. Every American is given an oppurtunity to succeed in life and someone who does not take advantage of that because of their own laziness deserves nothing from me.</div>I agree with you for the most part, but some people get screwed, like people who were drafted and fought in Vietnam and got injured and put on pain drugs, which are addicting and end up spending all their money on them. Of course it is somewhat their fault, but it is extremely hard to quit and get rid of an addiction. I'm not saying I would give them money to spend it on drugs, but I do give them some sympathy.

12. MaRdYC26

MaRdYC26 BBW Graphics Team

One time my dad and I were goin to the garden at penn station and some lady came up to us and asked us for a dollar to get some food at mcdonalds across the street, I just can't say no to someone like that, If they asked for 20 bucks it'd be different but to spare a dollar, come on it's not gonna kill ya...that's just the way I look at it. Sometimes it's depressing to go into NYC even though they've cleaned it up a lot, it's really just sad...