JustBBall 2007 Mock Draft v1.0

Discussion in 'JBB Mock Draft 2005 - 2007' started by Shapecity, Jul 13, 2005.

1. playmaker15

playmaker15 JBB Droppin Dimes

wow somehitng like bulges out his throt lol

2. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting playmaker31:</div><div class="quote_post">wow somehitng like bulges out his throt lol</div>

Thats his Adam's apple [​IMG]

3. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

We both felt Yi Jianlian would be the player most likely to sky rocket up the draft boards. His age is a mystery, whether he's born in 1984 or 1987, but he has the skills and type of game to turn heads in workouts. He has a lot of weaknesses, but most can be corrected. Once he adds some strength to go along with his quickness, he's going to be an intriguing prospect for a team. Big men are a real commodity in the NBA, especially when it comes to the draft. An athletic big man is even more desirable and scouts watching a 7 footer throw down 360 dunks with ease is going to catch a lot of attention. I'm sure he will have a strength and conditioning coach to work on his body once the draft rolls around. He knows what he needs to work on and he has shown a desire to want to improve.

4. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting lessthanjake:</div><div class="quote_post">shape i think you're wrong.... the actual rule is that you have to be 19, OR 1 year removed from your graduating class. he'd be 1 year removed from his class when the draf rolls around... i think...</div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The players and owners agreed to a compromise that sets the age minimum at 19, plus one year removed from high school for American players.

International and American players must turn 19 during the calendar year they are declaring for the draft. That means that -- gasp -- players who are 18 could still play in the NBA. Draftees just need to turn 19 by Dec. 31st of the year they want to enter the draft. Players born in November or December could appear in NBA games prior to their 19th birthday.
    Players who spend a year in prep school would be eligible for the draft, according to Granik, as long as they graduated from high school during the previous year.

The rule would go into effect for the 2006 NBA draft. </div>

Looks like you were right, the actual rule states you only have to turn 19, by the end of the year you want to declare. This means OJ Mayo will technically be eligible for the 2007 draft. We will definitely include him and research some other high school prospects who could be eligible that we over looked.

5. The Bogut Bomb

The Bogut Bomb JBB Banned Member

GO THADDEUS YOUNG sorry i cant help it hes from my hometown

6. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Guys, I had been very interested in Yi Jianlian since two years ago but I had never seen him action until last month when I went to China for two weeks. The Chinese National Team was playing in the Stankovic Cup which featured other heavyweights like Lithuania, Australia, Puerto Rico, Angola and Argentina. With the absence of a few of the team's best players, Yao Ming included, Yi became a central part of the Chinese offense and I was really impressed by what I'd seen from Yi. I thought I should share what I saw with you guys.

Contrary to popular belief, Yi looked very bulky and strong in the five games he played. He led the team in scoring and rebounding with 11.6 and 4.8 per game respectively. He finished second overall in the competition in blocks per game. Yi's shotblocking is what I believe to be the most developed part of his game. He has great timing and lift on his jump, and his length is also very helpful in blocking shots. Yi is very daring and goes for blocks whenever a shot is put up within 3 feet of him. He impressed the audiences with blocks of floaters, and also sent back a dunk with so much force that it went into the fifth row.

On offense, Yi displayed a potent jumper up to the international three-point line, and also a few post moves that I would call NBA-level. He sets a solid pick and has great hands in the post.

Yi played tough post defense, although I doubt that he would be an above-average for his first few years in the NBA.

It is his rebounding which is Yi's greatest weakness. Although he is good at catching passes, he doesn't grab on hard to the basketball when coming down with a rebound and that often leads to the ball getting slapped away by an opposing guard once Yi comes down with it. Although Yi boxes out to a fair amount of efficiency, he can't plant his feet strongly and often gets pushed out of position.

One last thing, and what impressed me most, is Yi's attitude on the court. He initiated a fight against a Puerto Rican player who was playing dirty by pushing him violently and punching him. The fight escalated to to brawl between both teams and fans started throwing bottles and food onto the court. It eventually led to the game being called off and the military police being called him. While I do not think this type of event is good, it shows Yi's mean streak and is what I think sets him apart from the gentle-giant mold of Yao Ming and Wang ZhiZhi.

Here are some pics of Yi from the competition.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Do not think that Yi will become a power forward in the Nowitzki/Garnett mold. He is more of a traditional low-post player and is a Tim Duncan like guy in that he has a good post game and also the ability to step outside and shoot the jumper. He is much more athletic than Duncan though.

7. Shapecity

Thanks for the insight Trip, great breakdown of Yi's game. From the pics you posted, he does look thicker in the upperbody, and has some lean muscle.

There have been conflicting reports about his age, any insight on how old he actually is and when he decides to declare for the NBA Draft?

Also, was he effective with both hands, or did he favor scoring with just his right hand?

Finally did any other players from China's team impress you?

8. Trip

Student
    Thank you Shape. I was really lucky to be able to catch the Stankovic Cup while in China and see Yi play in full games for the first time.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">There have been conflicting reports about his age, any insight on how old he actually is and when he decides to declare for the NBA Draft?</div>From what I saw from Yi, he can't be older than 20. He still looks like a child and his body doesn't look developed enough to be any older. He might be older than what the official guides have him as, but Yi definitely doesn't look like he's born in 1984. As for the draft, Lebron James met up with Yi on his recent trip to China. The two had a friendly dunk-off in which Yi held his own. In the press conference of that day, Yi said something along the lines of "I hope to be playing in the NBA with Lebron and Yao soon". Take that however you want, but if the CBA decides to make it illegal for players under 22 to declare for the draft, as they have threatened, then I guess the NBA would have to wait.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Also, was he effective with both hands, or did he favor scoring with just his right hand?</div>No, Yi did not look too comfortable with his left hand. When he dribbled, he did it with only the right and even on the left side of the floor on a putback, Yi would use his right hand. However, that weakness didn't really have a chance of hurting Yi on the floor because he was always a step ahead of defenders and would at least draw a foul on these putbacks.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Finally did any other players from China's team impress you?</div>Several players impressed me on the Chinese team. Tang Zhengdong, a 7-1, 290 pounder who plays for Jilin of the CBA, looked to be a great rebounder and a very strong, low-post player. He has the build of Mengke Bateer but is faster and more athletic. I've seen his team play in the CBA finals on Raptors TV and Tang looked like the Shaq of the Orient. He isn't on Yi's level but I think he could be a second-round pick in a year or two.

Mo Ke, who was actually drafted in 2003 (I think), also had good showings. He was a great mid-range shooter and showed toughness on defense. I don't think he'd be good enough for the NBA though, but he will be someone who is more suited for the international game.

Outside of big men, Liu Wei, the captain of the team and he who got a Kings training camp invite last preseason, showed a good shooting touch and passing. He looked like a pure point guard, and I think will eventually find his way into the NBA.

9. Shapecity

Good stuff Trip. The age limit is actually 19, or one year removed from high school, so Yi should definitely be eligible for the 2007 draft if he's allowed. Maybe he'll be the first international player to win a dunk contest?

He will have to learn how to finish and use his left in the NBA. Players are too, fast and athletic at the pro level to allow him to only get away with being able to go to his right.

10. Trip

Student
    No, what I was talking about was the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) wanting to set an age limit on Chinese players declaring to play overseas. After the Wang ZhiZhi incident and also Yao's outburst in the Olympics last summer, they thought that it'd be best if players stay in China for longer. I'm not a fan of such an idea but I'm sure the Chinese Association could very well do such a thing. They need to make their money and it would be better off if their stars stayed in the country.

11. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">No, what I was talking about was the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) wanting to set an age limit on Chinese players declaring to play overseas. After the Wang ZhiZhi incident and also Yao's outburst in the Olympics last summer, they thought that it'd be best if players stay in China for longer. I'm not a fan of such an idea but I'm sure the Chinese Association could very well do such a thing. They need to make their money and it would be better off if their stars stayed in the country.</div>
    Ah ok that makes sense, I thought you were referring to the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

12. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

An earlier question was about OJ Mayo entering in 07. It was pointed out he turned 19 a bit too late,the poster thought he would be a full year out of HS then-not so,Mayo and Bill Walker were sophomores and would be graduating just before the 07 draft. than means by either part of the rule 08 is the soonest. guess who's the consensus top pick in 08?

13. dance2trance

dance2trance JBB JustBBall Member

AARON BRUCE - Baylor

Key Stats - 04-05
    GP MIN/G PTS/G REB/G AST/G FG %
    28 34.8 18.2 2.6 3.8 47.1

? 2005 Freshman All-America (Basketball Times 1st team) (Rivals 2nd team) (CollegeInsider.com)
    ? 2005 All-Big 12 (AP 3rd team) (K.C. Star 3rd team) (Lawrence Journal-World 3rd team)
    ? 2005 Big 12 Freshman of the Year (K.C. Star) (San Antonio Express-News)
    ? 2005 Big 12 Co-Diaper Dandy of the Year (ESPN.com, Dick Vitale)
    ? 2005 All-District 7 (USBWA)
    ? 2005 All-Big 12, honorable mention (coaches)
    ? 2005 Big 12 All-Freshman team (AP)
    ? Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll, fall 2004
    ? Nation's leading freshman scorer (2004-2005)
    ? Co-Big 12 Rookie of the Week (Dec. 27, 2005)

what do people think about him????

14. CuseBallers

CuseBallers JBB JustBBall Member

Paul Harris

I like to see you giving props to Paul Harris at #17. This kid is a stud, and I'd love to see him stay more than one season at the Cuse, but it seems unlikely. Don't be suprised if this kid ends up a lot higher tho. If he were three inches taller he'd be discussed at number one in 2007.

15. Terminator-X

Terminator-X JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CuseBallers:</div><div class="quote_post">I like to see you giving props to Paul Harris at #17. This kid is a stud, and I'd love to see him stay more than one season at the Cuse, but it seems unlikely. Don't be suprised if this kid ends up a lot higher tho. If he were three inches taller he'd be discussed at number one in 2007.</div>

i`m hearing u bro..................harris absolutly annihilated oj mayo at the abcd/5-star camp and is a joke pick at 17 ......he`s top 5 right now and rising

16. chris22niagara

chris22niagara JBB JustBBall Member

paul harris

chris22niagara----- i live in niagara falls and know paul harris and hes is a beast and is top 3 all day he blew o.j away and alot of others i say no college do your this paul.

17. chris22niagara

chris22niagara JBB JustBBall Member

paul harris

i live in niagara falls and know paul harris he is a beast top 3 all day long thats good u reconize him give him his due. 1

18. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Good stuff Trip. The age limit is actually 19, or one year removed from high school, so Yi should definitely be eligible for the 2007 draft if he's allowed. Maybe he'll be the first international player to win a dunk contest?

He will have to learn how to finish and use his left in the NBA. Players are too, fast and athletic at the pro level to allow him to only get away with being able to go to his right.</div>

Guillermo Diaz will be the first international player to win a dunk contest.

19. Terminator-X

Terminator-X JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Terminator-X:</div><div class="quote_post">i`m hearing u bro..................harris absolutly annihilated oj mayo at the abcd/5-star camp and is a joke pick at 17 ......he`s top 5 right now and rising</div>

http://www.nyhoops.com/abcd05day3ovw.html

20. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">No, what I was talking about was the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) wanting to set an age limit on Chinese players declaring to play overseas. After the Wang ZhiZhi incident and also Yao's outburst in the Olympics last summer, they thought that it'd be best if players stay in China for longer. I'm not a fan of such an idea but I'm sure the Chinese Association could very well do such a thing. They need to make their money and it would be better off if their stars stayed in the country.</div>
    Well, it appears that the Chinese Basketball Association had set an age limit on Chinese players being eligible to declare for the NBA draft.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">众所周知的是,根据《中国篮球协会运动员涉外转会管理暂行办法》中的规定,球员要想加盟海外球队必须“年满22周岁,并代表中国国家队参加两次以上亚洲级以上的世界大赛,这并不包括参加U20和U18国家队的比赛”。</div>According to that quote, the CBA has made it a rule that you have to be at least 22 to declare for any overseas player drafts. You will also have to have represented China at at least two international competitions above the continental level, excluding the U20's and U18's. This news come from 163, a credible Chinese news source, so I won't doubt the validity of this. Thanks to market who found this link for us.

http://sports.163.com/05/0517/19/1JVRPPKP00051CA8.html

This would mean that Yi will be eligible for the 2010 draft, not the 2007. With all the conspiracy theories floating around about his real age, he might be 25 when he actually gets on a draft board, greatly affecting his draft status.

I guess you guys will have to carry out a complete revamp of this 2007 mock then. [​IMG]