Jusuf Nurkic Injury (Updates might be included)

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by B-Roy, Mar 3, 2019.

1. damianlillard

damianlillard Well-Known Member

In those videos he actually knock down 18. Yeah nobody is guarding him but I don’t think he will be taking those shot if someone is guarding him, I think if they do he will take advantage and pass to a player cutting to the basket like what you may have seen in the other video where Nurkic passed to a cutting Dame from the 3 point line. Nurkic just need to knock down open 3s

Eastoff, illmatic99, Scalma and 2 others like this.
  2. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

If Nurk is knocking down open threes, this team doesn’t need that elusive third scorer they’ve been looking for/needing, not even joking. That would be a massive development. He’s Marc Gasol if that happens.

3. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

We got that third scorer in Melo anyhow. Things are looking really positive for our versatility both on offence and Defense. I knew I loved this team when fully healthy.

GoBlazersGo likes this.
  4. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I assume that the third scoring option that you mention is in regard to long term needs, because right, now with Carmelo at the 3, the Blazers have big time scoring potential at 4 positions. Collins at the 4 is likely to develop into a 5th, IMO. Scoring is definitely not an issue. Defense? Well, let's just hope that the bigs can cover for the rather porous defense of Melo and CJ. If not, scoring in big bunches will certainly be needed.

5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Yeah I meant next year, although I’m rooting for Melo to work at the three so we can bring him back. Otherwise, he’s just taking minutes from Zach because you know Stotts will play him a lot.

Orion Bailey and e_blazer like this.
  6. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Do you think Melo will stay if we make a good playoff run? I think he might.

If he leaves, who would you want to try to replace him with?

Honestly, Id really like to bring the full roster back for next season. including hood, Ariza and Melo.

I think we can win it all with everyone healthy.

GoBlazersGo likes this.
  7. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I think it depends on how he handles the three. If he can’t, then Id probably let him go and sign someone like Marvin Williams. Someone that doesn’t need to start/play heavy minutes, but can still contribute in the rotation.

But yeah if he doesn’t look lost, there are enough minutes to go around to make a run at it next season. Same with Whiteside.

8. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I've made 30 in a row before. I'm definitely not hitting many in an NBA game.

9. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Not will an attitude like that.

10. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Highschool gyms arent NBA 3pt lines. :)

11. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Bones "Logo" Jones!

12. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Seen it in person?

I have. The thing about Bones is, you do NOT want to play him on an indoor court. But when he is outdoors, you might have a chance. He WILL let you know how much the ground and the rim is off though. You would think he is reforming the court with all the Bricks he brings. LOL!

Love ya @BonesJones :)

Ill say this too. Bones has that lazy fast drive. Slow looking first step, but then all of a sudden he is at the rim and your standing at the 3pt line wondering what happened. Actually reminds me a tiny bit of CJ. Wont be the quickest to the hole, but can weave and can be quicker than he looks or seems to be.

13. BonesJones

It was a college court

14. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Jr college courts don't count!

HailBlazers and kjironman1 like this.
  15. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Nate Mann over at BE has some ideas how Whiteside and Nurk might work together on offense:
    "1.Nurkic is the screen-setter for Lillard just like in Portland’s usual offense. But instead of having three shooters on the perimeter waiting for a kickout, there will only be two and Whiteside will set up camp in the dunker’s spot. If Lillard can’t create his own space—likely because the defenders blitzed the screen – he can find Nurkic slow rolling. Nurkic takes one or two dribbles to the free throw line and gives the opposing center a decision: step out and stop his drive, conceding the lob to Whiteside, or stay on Whiteside and let Nurkic barrel down the lane for a dunk.

Nurkic’s passing and decision-making abilities aren’t on par with Green’s, which isn’t a knock at all. But they’re better than Whiteside’s. Conversely, Whiteside’s verticality is nearly unmatched, making him the perfect target for alley-oops. It might not have the aesthetic of Golden State’s offense, but it could work.

Two: use Whiteside in the pick and roll and situate Nurkic on the strongside block. If the defenders blitz Lillard, he can find Nurkic in the post as a bailout. Whiteside continues his roll and gives the weakside wing a choice: step in front of Whiteside and sacrifice the skip pass to the corner shooter or stay in the corner and let Nurkic find Whiteside on the roll for an uncontested finish at the rim.

If the defense switches or doesn’t blitz Lillard in either of these scenarios, he’ll have his routine pick and roll setup but with even less spacing. That puts pressure on him to be a decision maker as well as to draw fouls.

In any case, Nurkic and Whiteside need to be active screeners both on and off the ball. They don’t attract defenders without the ball and certainly can’t space the floor, so they must free up their better scoring teammates with screens and constant movement."
    He also discusses difficulties with both on the floor for defense: https://www.blazersedge.com/2020/7/...eside-two-center-lineup-nba-restart-questions

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  16. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

Much better than Gasol who is a below average rebounder.

17. KSF-ERIC

Good to see you finally admit that.

18. BonesJones

I could go 2 for 17 though.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  19. KSF-ERIC

Doubtful.

20. BonesJones