Notice Jusuf Nurkic says Trail Blazers have to fix their 'trash' defense, become 'bad boys'

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Denny Crane, Oct 13, 2017.

1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Now we need to start converting this defense and rebounding into easy buckets. Need some serious work on outlet passes.

Orion Bailey and PtldPlatypus like this.
  2. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

So you're saying more Meyers Leonard? ;)
    I keed, I keed. But I kid around a small nugget of truth - I swear Meyers is the only Blazer in recent memory that's thrown a successful outlet pass.

Eastoff and BBert like this.
  3. riverman

riverman Writing Team

really?
    babbitt.png

dviss1 and tlongII like this.
  4. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

It's also on the guards/wings to get out and run. Our guys all crash the defensive boards. Dame averaging 5 rpg for the second straight year probably has a direct correlation with our lack of fast break pts.

Orion Bailey and Eastoff like this.
  5. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Been fun getting some playing time in the ATL. Boy can shoot it, that’s for sure.

dviss1 and riverman like this.
  6. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I think it's actually mostly a coaching issue. If Tater wanted our guards/wings to get out in transition they would probably be doing that. But clearly that's not happening, so it must be by design.
    I think it made sense to have everyone focused on defensive rebounding when we didn't have a strong front court capable of rebounding the ball. But now with Nurk, Vonleh, and Biggie there's no reason for our smaller players to hang back. But I don't expect this to change anytime soon - I expect a rebound-and-hand-off to be the beginning of every possession as long as Dame is on the court and Stotts is coaching.

7. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

unreasonably and exaggerating... Just wow...
    Next you're going to say I'm not a Blazer fan right?
    Yeah you're just not worth responding to.

8. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Now you're just being silly. Never have I commented on someone's fandom.

I'm sorry that you disagree with my assessment of your response, but I think it's fair to say that if the best thing you can say about an objectively top-5-in-the-league performance is "at least they're not setting records for shitty defense", that is unreasonably downplaying a positive.
    But you are welcome to dismiss me as "not worth responding to" if it makes you happy. :cheers:

Strenuus likes this.
  9. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    What he did to Terry Porter was unthinkable. Laimbeer was the guy who introduced Rugby to the NBA. If I was an opposing coach in those days, I would put my biggest most brutal bench warmer in the first quarter and tell him to square punch #40 and knock him out.

10. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

You don't notice the trend on these forums?

A poster, posts about x good stats from the Blazers.
    B poster, says sure. However then brings into account a stat that would make the stats poster A posted seem not as good. After all they said the same thing about other teams and no one said they were 'exaggerating, or downplaying' stats. In fact A poster even agreed with B poster.
    Poster A then responds by saying something to the tune of. 'Are you even a Blazer fan? You haven't said one positive thing about the team. You're only negative. Blah blah blah'.
    B poster then is supposed to respond in kind.

I choose to not play this game.
    If you think I'm downplaying or minimizing the defensive numbers Portland has early this year... Then that's on you.
    At the end of the day I'm being consistent. Where others aren't.
    Nice attempt though. Maybe try this on someone else though. HCP seems to be a good target recently.

11. PtldPlatypus

I prefer to evaluate people and posts on their merits rather than prejudge them, but that's just a personal preference I guess. Regardless, I don't play those games, dude, and I'm sorry that your experience on the forum has been so unpleasant. I am curious however--since you've mentioned being consistent several times--in what way you're being consistent, or more specifically, how acknowledging that the Blazers have played defense at a top-5 level so far this year would run counter to that consistency. Would you be so kind as to elaborate on that?

BonesJones and Strenuus like this.
  12. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

You do realize that PtldPlatypus is probably the most level-headed, even-keeled guy on this forum right? If theres anyone that doesnt get into the games (even more than you, by your own words), its him. Realize who you are talking to before you assume he is questioning you.

13. PtldPlatypus

Appreciate that. Thank you.

dviss1 and Strenuus like this.
  14. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Funkee Human Being

Software Engineer
    Lots of truth here.

15. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

The only meet and greet I went to, you were wearing a real sweet Blazers jacket that I was jealous of. So I got nothing against ya.

16. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Truth. Just beat me to it.
    Never once have I read platy going down the low road so many of us others do.

17. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

I said several times the Utah Jazz defense was/is overrated due to the pace they play/played at.
    I'm just not going to respond to the rest of your post, frankly because it's not worth my time.
    Have a nice night.

That's nice, before you became a mod, he certainly wasn't.
    I actually typically avoid his posts for the most part due to the very first experience with him being negative.
    I didn't realize bringing up pace would cause such an issue. Jesus.

18. PtldPlatypus

I love that jacket. I'm going to be so sad the day I finally wear it out.

19. PtldPlatypus

I'm no different now than I've ever been, but I would love to see what interaction we had before that soured you so much on me. Everyone has bad days; perhaps I was then, and I'll gladly apologize if I behaved in an unbecoming manner.

As for this thread, and pace affecting our defensive metrics, I understand how pace impacts counting stats, which is why I also provided percentages and per-100 figures. I honestly don't see where I gave any pace-impacted defensive numbers for which comparable corresponding pace-independent figures weren't also provided. Would you be kind enough to point one out for me?

20. PtldPlatypus

It's still bothering me, because the last thing I ever want is to demean or disrespect others, and it seems I've done that to you, so I can't let it rest. Looking back, I'm guessing this was the post/thread you were talking about.

http://www.sportstwo.com/threads/po...l-only-move-for-rip-city.257274/#post-3262337

While I know unequivocally what my intentions were, I realize they're irrelevant if it comes across as rude, and I can see that it did. I would like to apologize very clearly and publicly, not only for the post itself and how it made you feel, but also for my inability to realize how it and I were perceived at the time.

I seriously meant no disrespect, either in that thread or in this, and would like to bury the hatchet if possible.

Shaboid and blue9 like this.