Kawakami: Nelson and the Warriors, on and on it goes

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by The Legend, Aug 22, 2007.

1. The Legend

The Legend Legend of JBB..

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Don Nelson wants to be happy, the Warriors want to make him happy, and yet here they still stand, mutually unhappy and staring into the dark void.

Is this long, strange renegotiation standoff between coach and franchise about money? Yes, it's always about money. About $5.1 million in guaranteed money over the next two seasons, as far as I can decipher.

But it's also about the root motivations and personal histories of both Nelson, the master strategist and fearsome poker player, and owner Chris Cohan, who has made his fair share of mistakes and has paid dear money for them.

The latest on the talks: Nelson is telling friends that he's upset with the Warriors' most recent proposal and that the next week or so could be the tipping point.

Is he serious enough to stay away from training camp in October? Many people familiar with Nelson note that he would be walking away from millions if he quit, and Nelson has no history of monetary sacrifice.

Still, he is a man of pride, and now that the negotiations have come this far, it might be foolish for the Warriors to call Nelson's bluff.

It's almost September. Who exactly would the Warriors get to coach this team, rebuilt to Nelson's exotic but successful specifications, if it's not Nelson?

"All is quiet on the Western front," Nelson's lawyer, John O'Connor, said Tuesday when asked about the state of talks.</div>

I really hope Nelson is bluffing, or this is really bad news for the Warriors.[​IMG]

Source: San Jose Mercury News

2. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

3. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">The Legend Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I really hope Nelson is bluffing, or this is really bad news for the Warriors.[​IMG]

Source: San Jose Mercury News</div>

I thought Nelson still gets his money if the team makes the playoffs again. What's he worried about?