Keeping our pick? This might be a Lottery year

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by TBpup, Dec 5, 2021.

?

Make the pick for the Future.....or trade it for 'now'?

1. One last attempt

2. Build for the future....one player won't make enough of a difference

3. Get bad enough to where the pick makes an immediate impact

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I don’t get the Chet slander tbh. He’s got some
    flaws but is an elite prospect with skills, motor, and instincts. I have this theory that if he were an international prospect he’d be the consensus #1 guy.

blazerkor likes this.
  2. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Yeah, his hands and his feet are amazing, along with his bbiq on both ends of the court. The dude can shoot the ball from anywhere, he can finish at the hoop in a variety of efficient ways, he's good at putting it on the deck, he's great at finding open teammates, he gets in passing lanes, and he is obviously an elite shot blocker with excellent timing.

The way some people are portraying his athleticism is blatantly false. He is not slow for a 7 footer, he's both fast for a seven footer when going north/south, laterally quick for a seven footer and explosive off the floor. He is not Giannis or KD but they are two of the most athletic players at their height in the history of the game Giannis is probably the most athletic player that size ever. So while he's not a generational freak athlete, he is really athletic for someone his height.

Should there be some debate between him, Paolo and Jabari? Sure, they're all really good. We see guys like Paolo becoming all stars a lot and he has a high floor. Jabari does a few things really well and will for sure be a solid contributor as an athletic stretch four. Chet just happens have a combinations of skills and length that we haven't seen before, so the guy is probably more interesting than the other two.

Scalma likes this.
  3. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

It’s funny because you’ve got another lanky skilled big coming next year in Wembanyama and people are talking him up like he’s a can’t miss generational superstar. Not saying he’s not an elite prospect (he is, he’s probably a better prospect than Chet even) but he’s averaging 13 minutes a game this season and was struggling before an injury, yet I don’t see his game being prodded the way Chet’s is. Why not? Is it because he’s playing overseas and we’re not as exposed to him? Probably.

It’s all about projection with these guys, and I think we forget that more and more these days.

blazerkor likes this.
  4. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Man, Chet is a baller for sure. I like Paolo as he's not only big & Strong he was quickness and can handle the ball well too. Seems to have a decent motor.

blazerkor likes this.
  5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Yeah any one of Paolo, Chet, and Jabari could be game changers for the Blazers, or any team really. I like all three a lot, and would take any of them. I just think Chet has the most upside.

BankTeller and blazerkor like this.
  6. Predator

Predator The Godfather

What?
    Body type isn’t even the same. Bol Bol weighs like 20 more lbs than Chet.

Anyhow, Bol Bol was exactly what they said Chet was STYLE wise. Tall dude who could dribble, pass and shoot like a guard and defend the rim. A “Unicorn”.

BBIQ, maybe. But him and his “low BBIQ” are way better than Chet is currently. Did you watch Bol Bol at Oregon? Dude was a monster

7. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

The more I look into this year’s draft, the more I like the guys at the top. Even outside of the 3 bigs, we could really use guys like Jaden Ivey or Benedict Mathurin. Ivey is the same size as Simons, but a much better defender. Mathurin is a great defender with a budding offensive game and is 6’6. Either of those guys could easily slot in as our SG of the future.

Lets say Anfernee now averages around 15 ppg by the trade deadline on similar efficiency and bumps up his APG to 4-4.5 given that he’s starting right now, what would his value be?
    Like would NYK be willing to give up Quickley, their 1st this year, and a 2nd?

I’m not giving up on Ant, but if the end goal is to get Simmons, I would gauge the interest on Anfernee and see if a deal like that is out there.
    Ben + 2 high lottos added to this roster would be a much needed overhaul.

SlyPokerCat and TBpup like this.
  8. Predator

Predator The Godfather

Why has Bol Bol been a much better college player then?

9. Predator

Predator The Godfather

It’s not slander.
    It’s thinking there are 2 players who are much, much better than him … if we somehow have the opportunity to draft them.

10. Predator

Predator The Godfather

The bold is literally what was said about Bol Bol, damn near word for word. He was considered great at at blocking shots, although maybe not an excellent overall defender as Chet is supposed to be. They also said he had the ability to play SMALL FORWARD in the league because of his feet.

Also, if you read draft reports, the knock on Chet is… you guessed it, his athleticism and slow lateral movement which is why he cant/shouldn’t play on the perimeter.

So, tell the scouts that they’re wrong and “blatantly false.”

And the final bolded… exactly what was said about Bol Bol.

Chet might have a higher BBIQ, but it hasn’t translated to being a better college player. Interesting.

11. Predator

Predator The Godfather

I’m sure when he is being considered for the #1 pick and it’s between him and three other guys, his game will be dissected when the time comes.

12. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

Yep. Mathurin is really starting to catch my eye if we somehow end up in the 7-13 range.

Otherwise....it is Paolo

13. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
  14. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I dont think im qualified to talk about chets bbiq. Havent really watched him play much. Just going on youtube scouting reports

15. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

Yeah I can see both he and Little being very physical for opposing wings together.

16. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Bol Bol barely got drafted. I’d say for a reason…

17. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    From SI: they think Smith and Banchero are the top two.
    "Smith’s emergence has been something of a sea change in the scope of the 2022 draft, considering the manner in which Banchero and Gonzaga’s Chet Holmgren led the preseason discussion among league personnel. But it hasn’t taken long for Smith to completely reframe once-modest expectations, first raising his profile in front of scouts in closed-door practices, then compiling a series of strong early-season performances that forced the issue. He’s been efficient, productive and vastly advanced for a player his age—he doesn’t turn 19 until May, making him the youngest player currently ranked in SI’s Top 10. It may sound crazy to label Smith as potentially a once-per-generation jump shooting prospect … but only until you watch him shoot up close.

Listed at 6' 10" with legitimate size and a frame that projects to add significant strength, Smith’s ability to knock down shots in gameflow has made him a highly effective scorer at this still-nascent phase of his development. He doesn’t hijack possessions and doesn’t demand the ball needlessly, but when the play finds him, he’s a threat to simply shoot over defenders from anywhere on the floor. He’s making the type of one-dribble pull-ups and off-balance leaners that most NBA players never perfect on a consistent basis. He has above-average vision and makes quick, effective pass-shoot decisions. And he’s barely old enough for jury duty."
    https://www.si.com/nba/2022/01/05/2022-nba-draft-paolo-banchero-jabari-smith-chet-holmgren

TBpup likes this.
  18. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Bol Bol has no feel for the game - it’s the reason why he’s glued to that Denver bench.

19. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    A little bit more from SI:
    "Smith has an inarguable edge on Banchero in a few key areas: he’s a much better jump shooter, he’s a more projectable athlete, and he projects as a versatile team defender. To Banchero’s credit, those are maybe the only three areas in which he might leave you wanting more, but they’re potentially critical weaknesses. Banchero is an exceptionally polished prospect with advanced ball skills and has been a serious matchup problem for college defenders. If his jumper takes a big step forward, his ceiling shifts upward substantially.

Due to his mix of physical strength, finesse and scoring instincts, Banchero has drawn comparisons to mid-career Carmelo Anthony and current Julius Randle. He’s more unselfish with the ball than both players, but those names speak to the quality and breadth of his offensive skill set. He’s likely to be quite good on that end, with the capability to threaten defenses from all three levels of the floor. He was my projected top prospect to start the season for good reason."

20. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I like Smith a lot as well. Between him and Chet for me. Either way lots of size at the top of this draft