Keeping our pick? This might be a Lottery year

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by TBpup, Dec 5, 2021.

?

Make the pick for the Future.....or trade it for 'now'?

1. One last attempt

2. Build for the future....one player won't make enough of a difference

3. Get bad enough to where the pick makes an immediate impact

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

Right 2nd round pick but remember we do got 2nd pick and we continue to play like are that 2 round pick will be really high in that round.

BankTeller, Fairly-Hard and TBpup like this.
  2. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

Yeah keep that shit

3. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    There isn’t a generational prospect in this year’s draft.

Next year is the year to tank - generational talents: Scoot Henderson and Victor Wembanyama will headline that draft.

[​IMG]

TBpup likes this.
  4. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Wembanyama is a freak of nature. 7'3", freakish 7'8" wingspan, elite shot blocker, tremendous range. Teams will be tanking from Game #1 for him.

5. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

With a Spurs win (but a Kings loss), Portland is in sole possession of the #7 Lottery spot. However.....

....the Blazers are 1.5 games away from the #4 spot which would give them a ~37% shot at being in the Top 3.

On the other side, the Blazers are only 2.5 games back of the #6 Lakers which would keep them out of the Play-In games and give them a matchup likely against the Jazz. The series between those two teams has been dominated by the home team over the years and of course, Utah would have HCA.

So another first round exit?
    ....or a shot at some legit help either from the player or as an asset for a 'win now' piece?

ehizzy3 and RickyJoe like this.
  6. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

Mavs/Jazz/Lakers/Hawks/Heat next five games. No guarantee we’ll win any of those five anyway, so I wouldn’t just blow it up for the sake of blowing it up. You still have to show Dame the commitment to try to win. I think by around the trade deadline, if we’re around this spot in the standings or lower, trade Roco/McCollum and Nurkic if you can and get back as much cap space and picks as you can.

7. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

8. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

We are now 1.5 games from being next to last in the Western Conference.....which would put us at the #4 Lottery spot with a really legit shot of getting into the Top-3.

Remember the excitement before the Drafts when we got LaMarcus, Oden and Lillard? At least there would be fresh hope.

9. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

https://www.nba.com/nba-draft-lottery-explainer

It's now the top four picks that are determined by the ping pong balls. So if we did end up with the fourth highest odds in the lottery we would have to be hoping both to move up and not to get bumped back. We could finish with the fourth worst record in the league and end up with as high as the first pick (like every lottery team) but as bad as the eighth pick. I get why after trading away our last three first rounders some people in here are romanticizing the draft so much but it's not all roses.

10. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Yes...but I like the Top-3. Not as convinced about the #4 current ranked player as of yet. Either way, the higher the better.

blazerkor likes this.
  11. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

If we lose our lottery pick just to get this pathetic team to play a round in playoffs a d get swept it will be a disaster.
    Trade CJ, RoCo and Nurk (if he doesn't want a renewal), rest Dame and get a top10 pick. Start building today for 2022/23.

BBert, BonesJones, BankTeller and 4 others like this.
  12. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Dame's not going to rest, he's going to try to win. If the team told him they were shutting him down even if he feels good then he would want a trade and our organization would look far worse than they do right now. In reality we are 33 games into the season and 4 games out of the fifth seed. We aren't good enough to get there as constructed so we trade CJ, RoCo, Nurk and anyone else it takes to build a foundation that can contend. That's what Cronin is going to do because if he doesn't make a big move or moves there is just no way he's going to keep the GM job. So when the dust settles and we see what we have after the trade deadline and how far away from a decent seed we are then if we look like shit people in here should start hoping for losses. I will tell you one thing though, Dame's not going to give up and he's not going to rest if he's healthy enough to play.

13. LayneStaley

LayneStaley Well-Known Member

Badass
    With our luck we will win the lottery and Michael Jordan…I mean Kevin Durant will go the next pick. I mean it is getting close to time, happens every couple decades to us.

14. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

That is completely speculative that he'd request a trade because they told him to sit for the season.

15. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

They won't just do it out of the blue. He is injured and they have committed so many millions to him. They have every right to ask him to do that. If he is so dilussional to think he can win the title this year then so be it, but sit him on the bench whenever we get the chance. It doesn't have to be a shutdown. Just reduce minutes to 30, no back to backs etc.

16. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Definitely getting our pick this next draft. Hopefully the Blazers don't pick someone who is injury prone or a bust.

17. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

As far as this thread goes....

Might?

18. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

Probably.

19. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic

Elite shotblocker with a solid jumper - high bbiq

20. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

Well I’ll find it hard to believe he’ll be available even in the high second round but if he is, I’d be very optimistic about either one of Little or Eason being a starting wing for many years for us.

Agreed. CJ + Roco at least gets you 1-2 1st this year and maybe a couple in the coming years.
    The possibility of a high-lotto big wing (preferably one of the top 3), a gamble on a 6’10 shooting guard like Jovic, and a high 2nd rounder/late 1st rounder like Eason would be enough optimism to make a lotto year worth it to me.

Some overpays for some two year deals + team option and I am optimistic about the playoffs next year as well as FA 2023. I think it’s hard to say we’re never a player in FA when the only year with cap space under this regime was a year with a bottom tier FA class.