Keon Johnson

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Pinwheel1, Feb 4, 2022.

1. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

Interesting…he’d certainly be much more intriguing as a PG prospect in my mind. I see a similarity between Simons and Keon, in that they both came into the NBA with a polished offensive move. Although the percentages didn’t show it during the beginning, I remember watching his high school highlights right after that draft thinking “wow, his step back 3 and quick release is really polished for an 18-19 year old, he’s going to be a great shooter”, and he’s shown the last two seasons that he is. Keon’s turnaround jumper is already reminding me of Demar Derozan.

As a 6’5 PG, I have no doubt he will he able to bully all other PGs in the post in a few years. He already projects to be a great point of attack defender, and he’d be bigger than most PGs outside of Haliburton and a few others. If he could really become a starting level playmaker…forget about it. Nothing wrong with his shot in my eyes, I don’t see why he won’t come around on his 3.

I hope to start playing him at the 2 then maybe let him play the backup PG for about 20mpg the last 10-15 games of the season if it’s the case he can become a PG. I think you coach him how you would coach anyone else when he’s at the 2, but let him make his mistakes while playing the 1. Let’s get a good sample size games to see what he can actually become as a PG heading into next season. We would still need a backup PG, but I like having Keon as both the third string 1 and 2 for next season.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    BBert and Wizard Mentor like this.
  2. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

He seems to move really well on defense side to side- and even if he is unpolished - this is actually something that is very encouraging for a young player.

Idog1976 and Wizard Mentor like this.
  3. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Was rated as one of the top perimeter defenders in his draft.

Idog1976, Wizard Mentor and Haakzilla like this.
  4. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Scalma can speak for himself, but I think his suggestion was to play Keon over Ben and Hart over Elleby. (not Keon over CJE) I would not mind seeing a few games after the break with those 3 playing together if for no other reason just to develop Keon. Hughes also needs minutes over Ben for the same reason. Just to see if we should try to re-sign him. But I agree that Elleby is playing well.

Scalma likes this.
  5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Elleby as a starter: 36% FG, 26% 3PT. I don’t care about his hustle, there’s no starter in the league with those shooting splits. The only reason it’s not as noticeable is because everyone around him is shooting the lights out. Once they come back down to earth, his deficiencies will be magnified. So unless he significantly improves as a shooter/finisher, his minutes reduction is just a matter of time.

6. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    While it could happen, I think Johnson as anything more than a spot point guard is a longshot. I don't know that his handle's good enough, and there's so much more to being a PG than having a handle. You're taking one of the things that plays above the mean at wing and trying to put it at a position where he plays below the mean.

A bit off the subject, but it really seems like the Blazers are auditioning wings. Keon, Hughes and Louzala all about the same height, all play 2-3. You already have Nas and Josh Hart that also fit that mold. Benny Mac is in that slot, too -- if he would re-sign, but I kind of think he might have played himself out of a bargain-basement contract, some team is going to see what he's done in Portland and think he can fill a role on their team and offer him decent money.

Idog1976 likes this.
  7. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

have thought the same on the "auditioning wings", I think Keon will get plenty of minutes when he's ready to play, its what this season, especially the rest of it, is all about. I believe Louzala is out for season with his recent knee surgery - so it's Keon and Hughes

Idog1976, PCmor7 and Pinwheel1 like this.
  8. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Funny moment: Elleby hit a big (open) 3 to basically put the game out of reach, and the opposing announcer was frustrated that Elleby was a 30%er.

9. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Those were always my favorite Brian Wheeler calls--when some journeyman who's at like 27% on the year went 3-4, and Wheels was like, "he shoots ___% against the rest of the league, but tonight he just can't miss!". 'Cause he said exactly what I felt.

10. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

His role is not changing with the current roster.
    By the way, Anfernee Simons scored zero points in the last 6 minutes of the game in Milwaukee.
    Guess who scored the most points for the Trail Blazers in the last 6 minutes of the game. CJ Elleby.
    He made a brilliant screen on Middleton to block him out from getting to Nurkic. He did it perfectly, and Middleton committed a foul on Elleby. Elleby drained both free throws.
    Who else on the team would have the presence of mind and ability to pull that off?
    Then he drained a 3-pointer from an assist by Simons, who wasn't making his shots.
    You seem to think 21-year-old Elleby is already done as a shooter, yet expect great improvements from other unproven players.

GrandpaBlaze, Idog1976 and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Says who? You? I would bet money on his minutes being reduced unless he starts shooting the ball. The team has more invested in Keon. And I never said he cant improve, so I dont know where you came to the conclusion that I think hes done as a shooter? But its not looking good. This was a knock on him out of college (sub 40% FG in his final season) and probably why he wasn't even projected to be drafted. Haven't seen much progress since, so I dont see any reason why I should be as optimistic as you seem to be. But I guess anything is possible.

12. Blazinaway

I love the strides Elleby has made under Chauncey and hope it continues, but we need to evaluate Keon and he needs reasonable minutes and those should mostly IMO come from McClemore and Elleby.

Idog1976 and Scalma like this.
  13. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Anyways back to Keon/PG, I dont think anyone viewed Ant as a point before Billups came around, so I wouldn't bet against his ability to develop playmaking. Even DSJ is averaging more assists/36 than ever before. And no one is asking Keon to be a full time PG. Just be good enough where you can handle the duties in little pockets during a game.

14. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett Exactly right.

If only DSJ could shoot....
    I love the rest of his game.
    He feels like the 'forgotten guy' in all this.
    Is Keon Johnson gonna take Dennis' spot eventually?
    Keon who?
    Signed,
    A DSJ Fan.

15. Blazinaway

hopefully NEON KEON!

16. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Feels to me like DSJ, Keon, and Elleby all have "Iftheycouldshootitis". First one to find a cure finds a spot on this team.

Idog1976, Wade Garrett and Scalma like this.
  17. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

By eventually, do you mean this season or next? I think DSJ will continue to get minutes this season, but hes a free agent and wouldnt be surprised if they rolled with Keon as the third PG next year behind Dame and Ant. But who knows what their plans even are for Keon. They may not even view him as an option at point, I just threw it out there. I do get the sense though that Billups wants his guards to create, whether they're playing point or not.

Wade Garrett and PtldPlatypus like this.
  18. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett Exactly right.

I guess I'm more interested in next year.
    Truth be told, I've gotten to know Dennis a little and he is a terrific person.
    Always has a smile and a nice word...
    Calls me his "Big Dogg"....
    So I'm strategizing with my heart here.
    However, he has had some impressive moments including some 30 point games for the Knicks, so I know he can play.

Idog1976 and Scalma like this.
  19. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I dont have a problem with him, and he usually brings it defensively. Hes a nice third point guard. I'd take him back for the minimum if they're not planning to develop Keon at the point, but maybe he can get more minutes/money from someone else. Kinda crazy that hes still only 24.

PtldPlatypus and Wade Garrett like this.
  20. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I would hope taken away from Mac; he is shooting 26% from three in his last ten games.

blazerfan11 likes this.