Kg?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by upsidedownside7, Jun 28, 2007.

1. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

Wright and Ellis is the 2nd best package I can think of next to Boston's package of Al Jefferson and Gerald Green.

I really wouldn't be suprised if the warriors make a play for KG now. The warriors can also keep him and develop him next to Biedrins, either way trading for Wright was the right move to make.

2. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    There was a link the Golden State Warriors are in the running now for the KG sweepstakes. However, I can't find it now as it went to some page on ESPN. Was this just rumor or ?.

Anyway, Yahoo is reporting:
    Warriors trade Richardson, pick up Wright, Belinelli on draft day
    By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer
    June 29, 2007

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- The Golden State Warriors welcomed two young talents and said goodbye to an old favorite on NBA draft day.

The Warriors traded guard Jason Richardson to the Charlotte Bobcats on Thursday night for the rights to North Carolina forward Brandan Wright, the eighth overall pick.

Golden State also selected Italian guard Marco Belinelli with the 18th pick, adding another athletic scorer who might thrive in the Warriors' uptempo game.

Richardson's departure had been rumored for months, ever since coach Don Nelson sometimes struggled to fit the six-year veteran into his schemes. But Richardson was the Warriors' most popular player during their lean years before last spring's playoff run, making his departure bittersweet for top executive Chris Mullin.

"He's been one of my favorite guys," Mullin said. "I think he's given his heart and soul to us, and that's the tough part about this job, when you have to make a decision like that. You know it's the right decision for the team to get better, but when you get close to somebody, it's hard."

Richardson has spent all six of his NBA seasons with the Warriors, but returned slowly from knee surgery last winter while Golden State built the team that ended the franchise's 12-year playoff drought. He averaged 16.0 points and 6.7 rebounds in 51 regular-season games, then scored 19.1 points in 11 playoff games.

Mullin repeatedly said he wouldn't trade Richardson, who has four years and about $50 million left on his contract. But the chance to land a big-name prospect at power forward -- all while clearing salary-cap room and increasing prospects for future trades -- proved irresistible.

"It definitely frees us up and gives us flexibility," said Mullin, who acknowledged recent conversations with the Minnesota Timberwolves while they shopped forward Kevin Garnett.

"I've always felt like (if we) have to go 16-4 or 9-1 (to finish the season) just to get into the playoffs, we need to improve -- not just today, but going forward. This will allow us to do that."

Mullin's stance should keep Golden State fans attuned to trade rumors throughout the summer, with Garnett clearly the top prize available.

Wright was one of the top prospects in the draft after averaging 14.7 points per game and making nearly 65 percent of his shots as a freshman with the Tar Heels. His athletic ability should fit well with the Warriors, who love his shot-blocking and rebounding acumen.

"I can see him and Andris (Biedrins) taking care of that basket for us and outrunning forwards," said Mullin, who wants the skinny Wright to add muscle before camp opens in October. "It addressed an immediate need, but also his long-term future I think is just tremendous."

After ditching his Bobcats cap at draft headquarters in New York, Wright pronounced himself thrilled to head to the West Coast.

"I think I fit in great," said Wright, the Atlantic Coast Conference's rookie of the year and tournament MVP. "They like to play the uptempo style, try to use a lot of forwards, a lot of pieces -- you know, guys that can really run the court. I can get up and down and play with a lot of guys that flourish in the open court."

In the second round, Golden State chose Alabama forward Jermareo Davidson with the 36th pick, but quickly traded him to Charlotte in the deal for Wright. The Warriors then selected Massachusetts forward Stephane Lasme -- another talented defensive player -- with the 46th selection.

The 21-year-old Belinelli had been playing professionally in Bologna since 2002, and he starred for the Italian national team in last year's world championships -- including a standout game against the U.S. team. His pedigree and performances intrigued Mullin, who visits Italy regularly during scouting missions.

"He's a young shooter, slasher, scorer, athletic guy who I've watched for a few years," Mullin said. "I think he's going to fit our system perfect. He can handle the ball well ... and play a little point forward. He's another guy that can go out there and put the ball in the basket."

Belinelli has three seasons remaining on his contract with Fortitudo Bologna, but has an escape clause to join the Warriors.

"I think that I am a good shooter -- a streaky shooter, but I know I can play," Belinelli said. "I can do everything. I can put the ball on the floor and go to the basket. I can play on the ball, and I can play defense."

3. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">upsidedownside7 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Wright and Ellis is the 2nd best package I can think of next to Boston's package of Al Jefferson and Gerald Green.

I really wouldn't be suprised if the warriors make a play for KG now. The warriors can also keep him and develop him next to Biedrins, either way trading for Wright was the right move to make.</div>

The best package to Minny I can think of is AB, Ellis, Sarunas, filler and dump Foyle. Minny has said they want AB. Warriors end up:
    C - Wright, POB, Perovic
    SF - KG, Barnes, Lasme
    PF - AL, Powell,
    SG - SJax, Bukakke, Belinelli
    PG - Baron

4. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

If that is the price ..... minny can keep KG

i thought the whole point of drafting this wright kid is to pair with AB....

retaining barnes.....

that is second to trading j-rich in making me hate this team.. do not resign barnes

so get rid of our whole future.... ab and ellis...

i thought the point of moving the best player .... all around ..team guy.... on the cusp of an all star with allen and possibly kobe gone.... j rich ...for a bunch of upside that cant bench 186.... was to resign "our future"

why not toss bellinni and wright into the deal...and pob....

Or did you mean this from the perspecitve of a Minnesota fan.... the best possible trade....

As a warriors fan ...... clearly pissed at today's trade..... cap or no cap.....and who has been through the fire sale in the 70's..... joe barely cares and the 80's..... trading my favorite player mitch for billy owens.... destroying the franchise over chris webber..... then nelson trading everything away leaving us in shambles...

now this....

if ellis and AB get traded.... i am a bobcat fan

5. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

here is the best trade i could come up with : from a warriors perspective..... throw in wright to get er done

Minnesota Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing

Kevin Garnett
    6-11 PF from Farragut Academy (HS)
    22.4 ppg, 12.8 rpg, 4.1 apg in 39.5 minutes
    Incoming

Adonal Foyle
    6-10 C from Colgate
    2.2 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.4 apg in 10.0 minutes

Al Harrington
    6-9 PF from St. Patrick's (HS)
    16.5 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 1.9 apg in 32.9 minutes

Sarunas Jasikevicius
    6-4 PG from Maryland
    6.1 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 2.7 apg in 15.4 minutes

Patrick O'Bryant
    7-0 from Bradley
    No games yet played in 2006/07
    Change in team outlook: +2.4 ppg, -2.7 rpg, and +0.9 apg.

Successful Scenario
    Due to Golden State and Minnesota being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Golden State and Minnesota had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

6. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Most likely if there were a trade out there for Garnett, Oneal, Marion, etc... it would be in 2 deals. 1 would involve Foyle to get the salaries close, and the second would involve the exception and either Wright and/or some future picks.

It makes this really tough to make a mock trade because there are so many variables in play.

Should I go ahead and make a prediction that Mullin doesn't make a move again?

7. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

I don't think Minnesota even considers trading KG to the Warriors without either Monta Ellis or Andris Biedrins. I think they's prefer Beiedrins, and they'd certainly like to get BOTH of them. Now if you can get them to take Wright in place of Andris, great. If you want to think about lineups, I'd rather have KG playing alongside Andris than alongside Wright. But I'd rather have Wright + Andris and no KG if it's going to cost us the future of the franchise to get him.

8. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">HiRez Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think Minnesota even considers trading KG to the Warriors without either Monta Ellis or Andris Biedrins. I think they's prefer Beiedrins, and they'd certainly like to get BOTH of them. Now if you can get them to take Wright in place of Andris, great. If you want to think about lineups, I'd rather have KG playing alongside Andris than alongside Wright. But I'd rather have Wright + Andris and no KG if it's going to cost us the future of the franchise to get him.</div>

I agree that Minnesota would demand either if not both Ellis and Biedrins. After this trade I am a bit more confused about the KG to the Warriors trades and what will be best for the team. However I want to make a question. What does a future of Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins really equate to? Surely they would be good since they are two good players. But at any point in the future would it even come close to the possibility of having Baron Davis and Kevin Garnett as the team's core? If POB was the least bit competitive I would have a little more ease trading Biedrins. But getting back away from my stray comment, I think this question that I am trying to pose is very important. Of course if the Warriors trade too much and then the team doesn't have anything to complement KG and Baron, then that won't help either. However if the Warriors can make a deal that can keep a decent supporting cast around Baron and KG then that could be very fun to watch. Perhaps something like Wright, Ellis, Harrington, POB, Sarunas, and Foyle (if needed as cap filler) for KG can get it done...?

I don't know, that is just the stance that I think is important when considering this KG to Golden State stuff.