Notice KGW Nixed (2017-2018 On)

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by HailBlazers, Jul 6, 2016.

1. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

This is all a part of Paul Allens plan to turn the Moda center into a permanent rotation circuit of Monster Jam and Pro Bull Riding!

Giddy up!

2. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Ouch! My Frontier DSL line is about 1.5 I guess it is time to shop for satellite internet again.

3. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Well this is bullshit. I've been going over to a friend's, my parents, or the bar for Comcast games the past several years, but have always most enjoyed watching KGW games by myself at home. Watching alone I get to really focus on what's going on, rather than being half-invested in the game while also socializing with friends.

dviss1 and BBert like this.
  4. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The argument is that the KGW games aren't broadcast on CSN, which means that CSN only has ~60 Blazer games with which to entice carriers. By cutting the KGW games, CSN can now broadcast all 82, which will make their network slightly more appealing to carriers. Which could conceivably result in DirecTV and Dish finally making a deal with CSNNW.

So long story short, by taking some games from everyone, they hope to make all games available to the most people.

5. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

Well if they sign agreement with Dish to broadcast there game I will be happy but if not then I have problem with it.

HailBlazers, BBert and julius like this.
  6. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

CSN will not broadcast all 82 games. A couple games will be on TNT only.

7. PtldPlatypus

True, but they have no control over that. The main premise stands, though. CSN now gets as many games as they possibly can.

8. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Thanks for taking the time sir. And I read that, sort of, I just did a loop around the wall though, instead of finishing.
    I would be pleased to be wrong, but there is nothing in it for Comcast to put it on the Satellites nor is there much reason for the satellites to add ComCast (at their price).
    Perhaps the satellites could suck a few customer away from Comcast. If Dish pays Comcast for the feed, where are their going to get the pay back? Everyone that needs Dish (or Directv) already has it. The only payback is to attract new customers from Comcast. Why does Comcast do this??? They don't unless it is in the contract that they must do it. The Warriors have their games on Comcast(Bay Area) and Dish and DirectV at the basic price, because they require it to be so. It is their right as the broadcast owner. People in the City use cable mostly, many can't even get a satellite. People out side the City use Satellite, many don't have cable as an option.

The Blazers needed to make it a requirement of the contract, otherwise it ain't going to happen!

9. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

So if it wasn't about money, like has been rumored, and the Blazers truly wanted someone with the biggest distribution, why didn't they just give all the games to KGW?

dviss1, GriLtCheeZ, Eastoff and 2 others like this.
  10. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

Did you read the various articles on the new TV deal? Those details (incentives/opt outs) are in the new contract.

11. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

Not that simple. You are assuming that KGW wants all the games? Do you know if KGW ever proposed that scenario? That's like saying "the Blazers suck for not just signing Lebron James for $20 million". KGW has a ton of their own prime time (national NBC shows - The Voice, Law & Order, Grimm, etc) that they have to air. KGW makes a ton of $ selling commercials during those shows. They dont get to sell commercials in Blazer games.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  12. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Spot on sir! Then everyone in Oregon and South Washington would have the games via cable or the Satellites.

13. Mediocre Man

I have no idea if they did or not. Sounds like they enjoyed the relationship. Likely scenario is KGW wouldn't reach their precious Seattle audience, so people in Portland get fucked

MARIS61 likes this.
  14. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

Read your avatar. :)
    and read my edited post above

15. PtldPlatypus

Sounds like you answered your own question. Comcast and Sony Vue basically have the ability to reach 95%+ of Oregon and Washington; that's more than KGW. They're looking at potential reach rather than actual reach.

BoBoBREWSKI likes this.
  16. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Well wonderful, we will get the games on Satellite! I totally missed that statement.

julius likes this.
  17. Mediocre Man

Like the potential of the last 10 fucking years?

18. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    KGW is on Dish and Directv as your local network channel for 100% of Oregon.

19. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

Very small percentage "get fucked". The vast majority of people have a choice and choose to not have Comcast or not sign up for Vue etc. Am I "getting fucked" because I want to drive a Audi but can only afford a Volkswagen? Whose fault is that? Am I "getting fucked" because someone on Craigslist wont sell me something for much cheaper than what the market says its worth?
    I'm not a Comcast fan, I have it, but will switch to DirectTV as soon as CSN & Pac 12 Network is available on it. I may even switch sooner and not get the Blazer games. That's my choice, my choice to save $$ and give up the Blazer games.
    Various articles say that CSN has offered their programming to DirectTV and Dish Network at the same price that the other cable companies have accepted. So who's the one to blame? Who's being greedy?

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  20. PtldPlatypus

Significantly different, because CSN now has about 30% more games per season than they did before, and (more importantly) because there's now an option available to anyone with high-speed internet, which wasn't the case before.