OT Khashoggi

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Further, Oct 17, 2018.

1. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Copied from elsewhere:

No honest person with common sense believes that a 59-year-old journalist entered an embassy, picked a fight with many younger men who were armed with a bone saw, and was so violent that they had no choice but to hack him into small pieces.

In Arizona last night, President Trump called Saudi Arabia’s explanation of journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s death a “good first step” and said he would work with Congress on a U.S. response, the AP reports.

Asked if he thought the explanation was credible, Trump said: “I do. I do.”

barfo

Lanny and SlyPokerDog like this.
  2. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

The point is that Trump claimed he was going to fix it.

barfo

3. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Comparing Portland and Chicago is apple and oranges. People aren't dying on a daily basis here.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  4. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

You're obviously right about the value of life, and not enough being done to stop the violence in Chicago, for example. More of an effort needs to be made.

But this is different. Khashoggi was, at this point in his life, fighting the good fight. He was a voice and a voice that was heard. It's less about a guy and his murder and more what he symbolized and the impact his words had on the world.

And there's more: a country that deeply intertwined with our country's leadership seems to have murdered him. Our reaction to this crime reveals how corrupt we actually are, and how poorly our leadership reflects the idea of American values they espouse. Just put this murder in the pile of atrocities that the people who "represent" us, and us in turn, have chosen to somehow rationalize away. We are complicit in all of this.

Bringing up Chicago in the same breath is wrong. That deserves its own breath. These are all different things, and frankly, incomparable. If you want to help in Chicago, and drum up interest, do it. But life is like the forum in many ways: you need to start a new thread.

Boob-No-More likes this.
  5. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I wasn't comparing just stating that local gov should govern their own city.
    The leadership their has been non existent.

Lanny likes this.
  6. Hoopguru

That I cant disagree with totally. Good post.
    I do think the Chicago crisis deserves its own thread. And Im disappointed in the City and States leadership for not really addressing it at all from my point of view.
    Hope something gets done there.
    Im firm believer that responsibility start at the top with family, business & City, State & Fed level. I also think judgment starts there too.

Propagandist likes this.
  7. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Every year I love the Christmas ships on the Willamette.
    I'll bet you'd get a great view from the Old Spaghetti Factory just off Macadam Avenue along the banks of the Willamette in the early evening.

8. Hoopguru

I thought the mayor wanted it changed to Holiday ships?

9. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Saudi Arabian Consulate: "We don't know what happened to the body after he was murdered."

Vladamir Putin: "I never murder anybody."

Chris Craig and Lanny like this.
  10. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    [​IMG]
    NJ journalist dies 6 months after brutal ‘hate crime’ attack
    Dan Alexander
    October 18, 2018
    FREEHOLD TOWNSHIP — Jerry Wolkowitz, a freelance photographer who prosecutors say was brutally beaten and assaulted because of his race, has died six months after the attack in the parking lot of his apartment.

Jamil S. Hubbard, 25, of Sayreville, approached 55-year-old Jerry Wolkowitz and hit him from behind on May 1, according to Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher J. Gramiccioni.

He had been hospitalized in a vegetative state ever since the attack, according to a GoFundMe page created to help with his medical expenses. The Asbury Park Press reported his death on Thursday. Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office spokesman Chris Swendeman said his body had been brought to the Middlesex County Medical Examiner for a postmortem exam.

Wolkowitz was hit on his head and his face before being dragged into the parking lot of an apartment building on Harding Road, Gramiccioni said. Hubbard then stole Wolkowitz's car and drove over him, prosecutors say. Police said they found the car at Hubbard's home in Sayreville.

"The investigation determined that the defendant targeted the victim because of his race," Swendeman said at the time, adding that Hubbard, who is black, and Wolkowitz, who is white, did not know each other.

Hubbard was charged with first-degree attempted murder, third-degree possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and first-degree bias intimidation. He remains in custody. Swendeman would not disclose if new charges would be brought.

According to the GoFundMe page, Wolkowitz was a reporter, writer and first aid volunteer. The Asbury Park Press reported he was a life member of the Freehold First Aid and Rescue Squad.

Retired Robbinsville fire captain Dennis Symons said he first met Wolkowitz sometime in the 1990s when he was working as a freelance photographer for the Allentown Messenger.

"A lot of stories or sports we were covering at the time overlapped so I would be shooting side by side at games and events. Jerry was a really nice guy and we were always talking about the latest equipment or assignments we were covering."

Funeral arrangements for Wolkowitz have not been announced.

Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com or via Twitter @DanAlexanderNJ

11. Lanny

Good job of denigrating African-Americans because of their race.

12. Lanny

Haven't heard that one. You got a link?

13. Hoopguru

Someone on 750 after last years Xmas season was over mentioned it.

14. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

"He left of his own free will"

"He was killed accidentally during an interrogation"

Some dudes were waiting inside the consulate and murdered him, but we had nothing to do with it. It was a mistake, Oops"

Meanwhile Trump

"I talked to the Saudi Prince, sounds credible to me"

"There are going to be severe punishments. There has been deception and lies."

"I talked to the Saudi Prince. He said he had nothing to do with it. Sounds credible to me"

Lanny likes this.
  15. CupWizier

retired
    and all the more reason for Washington to get involved. After all, trump promised that didn't he?

16. Hoopguru

He did, just like many politicians say shit and follow through right?
    And I bet the minute he does do something all the progressives will shout foul.
    If I'm the Gov of that State I call in the National Guard and let them patrol the bad areas. Whatever it takes.
    I blame their local leadership more so than anyone in Washington, Even Obama didn't do shit and it's his home.

17. CupWizier

retired
    Then don't make it a campaign promise. Trump is big on talk, small on action unless it benefits him and his millionaire group.

Lanny likes this.
  18. Hoopguru

I agree. But all politicians there days are in for power and money. They are indebted to lobbyist and pac money for supporting their campaigns.

19. Hoopguru

So your not really surprised that Muslims use killing's all kinds (honor, stoning adultery etc.) as part of their customs.
    The how they role in those country's that are following Jihad and are a monarchy.

20. Lanny

Trump will say anything, ANYTHING, that will get him votes and adoration. The truth isn't even considered when he talks.
    Oh, and he says whatever the base group he's talking to wants to hear even if it means contradicting something he said the same day to another group. Don't worry, he only talks to groups that are mostly his base supporters.