Kings trade Webber for Kenny Thomas

Discussion in 'Sacramento Kings' started by Da_Future_2k5, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Da_Future_2k5

Da_Future_2k5 JBB Banned Member

2. Windmill360?

Windmill360? JBB JustBBall Member

Yea... This is pretty weak. '76ers get the steal here.

3. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

Here's a list of good things about this deal:
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

4. PejaForThree

PejaForThree JBB JustBBall Member

Wtf, Maybe the only good thing is we got rid of his payroll but still. WTF kind of a trade is that

5. Stockton

Stockton JBB

I'm not sure why the Kings would do this, they're playing good enough Basketball to make the playoffs, be a force in the playoffs, Webber is healthy and it's not a salry dump. Webber has an injury history, but the Kings could've done a lot better than this if they were looking to trade Webber. Peja Stojakovic will have to step up without Webber.

6. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting 44Thrilla:</div><div class="quote_post">Here's a list of good things about this deal:
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -</div>

I agree completely...

Wow, What the hell was Sac. smoking when this deal went down... [​IMG]

Go Lakers [​IMG] , we might be able to creep past them now if we have a strong second half.

7. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

Strange trade. I thought Webber had been playing pretty well this season, but then I haven't watched many Kings games.

I checked his +/- stats over at 82games.com. Interestingly enough, the Kings have played better when Webber has been OFF the floor. It looks like the Kings owners have been following this and figure the Kings may not suffer too much by getting rid of Webber and just shoring up the depth with role players. The Kings have rebounded better and played better defense without Webber on the court.

http://www.82games.com/04SAC13D.HTM

8. NuSpace

NuSpace JBB JustBBall Member

The Knicks could offer more than what we got from Philly...

We got nowhere near equal value... Lose energizer in Homegrown, Sac-Town's Finest, Matt Barnes...

We don't get a significant cut of salary, with Kenny Thomas with 5 Years and $39 Million and a 15% Salary Trade Increase, Corliss with $12.5 Million over 2 Years and Skinner, for the rest of this year, $4.9 Million and $5.4 Million Next Year with 75% of it Guarunteed. Might as well keep CWebb till his contract comes off the books in 3 years.

Granted, we get a little depth and add better rebounders, but can they play in the Princeton offense of Adelman or bring in the intangibles that CWebb brought... I doubt it...

The Sac GM, Geoff, has been a genius so far... there has to be another deal in the works... I can't see any other logical reason for this... Otherwise... Sac is gonna be in an uproar...

9. GiantMidget

GiantMidget JBB JustBBall Member

After much analysis I understand the trade.However if Dalembert were included id be REALLY excited as a Kings fan.Im sure the popular stance for most people will be to bash the kings for this trade.I however realize who Geoff Petrie is and what he does and I understand the reasons for this trade.So anyway,heres my semi-breakdown for the kings on this trade. I have to say that it seems pretty strange not having Webber,hes basically been the face you think of when you think of the Kings.First off, you have to realize the Kings strengths and weaknesses before making this trade and what they gave up and received after it.Sac's strength was obviously their offense and the number of players they had that produce offensively.Having 5 starters that can each score 20+ on any night is ridiculous and the same can only be said about the Suns.After the trade the Kings have 4 starters that can get 20+,still more than just about every team can say.The Kings biggest weakness was quite obviously their defense and inability to protect the glass.Opposing teams often jogged into the lane for a mostly uncontested layup against Sac.Sacramento also didnt do a very good job of rotating on defense to get to the shooters.The guy who was always the slowest to rotate was Webber.His lack of mobility REALLY hurt the kings on D.Kenny Thomas doesnt have that problem at all.Sure K.Thomas is overpaid but that doesnt mean he isnt a nice player.Thomas also has the ability to shoot the ball from the freethrow line extended which is how the Kings offense operates.This means the Kings dont have to change their style of offense which is their biggest strength.They also added two guys in Skinner and Williamson that dont have problems playing defense and protecting the glass.Sac also added another player to their rotation making it a legit 9 man rotation.Overall the Kings sacrifice some offensive ability for more ability to play defense and rebound,which is exactly the type of sacrifice they needed to make.I think the new players acquired will give them a tougher edge similar to that of the Sonics.I dont think the Kings frontcourt can be pushed around the way it used to be.

10. NuSpace

NuSpace JBB JustBBall Member

The Knicks could offer more than what we got from Philly... I would rather have Kurt Thomas, Tim Thomas, Penny Hardaway or whatever rather than Kenny Thomas, Brian Skinner, Corliss Williamson...

KT is a great post defender, for us to match up against KG, TD and Amare, and has a smooth jumper, much more reliable than Webber's. He's averaging double digits in rebounding this year, and he isn't the defensively liablity that is Webber. Penny adds depth and more firepower. More fillers might be included or whatever.

We didn't get back talent, draft picks or expiring contracts... We got a little depth, but I believe that we could've gotten so much more... You don't trade a perrenial all-star unless one or more of the above are included...

I'll have to put my trust in the Geoff Petrie though. He's been one of the league's top GM's, stealing quality players from other organizations. Perhaps this deal will pan out. Hopefully, some of these players will be packaged in some sort of deal that would fix everything up.

There are a few positives to this trade, and we have to find positives where we can...
    -Adds depth to the frontcourt.
    -Webber's huge contract is split into three smaller, perhaps more tradeable commodities.
    -Peja, Bibby and Miller tended to defer to Webber offensively, which would often mess with chemistry.
    -At times, the Kings have overall played better without Webber in the lineup.
    -Remember: Will all of Webber's positives, there are bad parts of his game. Webber is 32 years old and on a hobbled knee, a power foward who relies primarily on his jumpshot and is a defensive liability... At least we get something for him, instead of him ending up alla Mashburn.
    -The GM acknowledged that they would not win in a seven-game series with the contenders in the West, Phoenix, San Antonio, Miami or Seattle. Thus they set to rebuilding the team by getting rid of the contract most difficult to drop.
    -Petrie most likely believes this trade will improve the Kings, which is possible. Players tended to stand around when Webb had the ball or passed it to him entirely too much. Perhaps this is more addition by subtraction, and perhaps Peja will return to his MVP-candidate form?

My problem with the trade is I feel that we could've gotten more than we did. Last year, the Kings were able to go most of the year without Webber. I can't see why they can't accomplish the same feat, yet I don't see them close to contending for a title unless they make more moves.

11. PejaForThree

PejaForThree JBB JustBBall Member

I have many thoughts on this trade whicch I can't be posting atm Because i have posted them on 3-4 other forums but.

I really do believe that Petreie has something up his sleve

12. dakeem1

dakeem1 JBB JustBBall Member

I was wondering, if your GM wanted to trade away some offense for mroe defense, then what was the Christie/Mobley Trade about?

Christie is probably the best perimeter defender in the game next to Artest.
    Mobley has a sweet jump shot and can occasionally drive in but no defense there.

13. BullsFan4Ever

BullsFan4Ever JBB JustBBall Member

Not that this was a great trade in any way shape or form but it may not be as bad as you all think
    Thomas is averaging 11.3 and 6.6
    Williamson is averaging 10.8 and 3.7 with the potential given more minutes to do much better
    I know it is of little consolation right now but think about the future C-Webb is getting older and did have the knee problems not to mention a massive contract. If nothing else these new guys could offer some help in an off season deal.
    Lets be honest this Sacramento team has had their chance at a ring and came up short plenty of times. Rebuild. You still have a really good core to build around in Bibby, Peja, Brad Miller, Mobley and Bobby Jackson. This could be the jump start that Sac. has needed to get them over the hump and finally win a championship.

14. gh3ttosw33t

gh3ttosw33t JBB JustBBall Member

i don't think Sac could win a championship without Webber. I woulda been happier if they just traded Peja.

15. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

Lol...........lllllllllllooooooooooooolllllllllll.............. Lmao.................................ltsip!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I Gotta Change My Pants!

That Was The Dumbest Move Since L.a. Let Shaq Go.

16. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting dakeem1:</div><div class="quote_post">I was wondering, if your GM wanted to trade away some offense for mroe defense, then what was the Christie/Mobley Trade about?

Christie is probably the best perimeter defender in the game next to Artest.
    Mobley has a sweet jump shot and can occasionally drive in but no defense there.</div>

That's not really true. Mobley is an above average defensive player. Just ask Jeff Van Gundy. He praised Mobley's defensive abilities all the time last year. I honestly think that Christie is only marginally better than Mobley at the defensive end. He just gets more credit for his defensive abilities because he doesn't have the offensive skills Mobley has.

17. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

Also, remember that the Kings had the top record in the league most of last year WITHOUT Webber in the lineup, and Peja was a legitimate MVP candidate. They don't have Divac in the lineup anymore, but they are now a stronger rebounding and defensive team and are upgraded at SG (Mobley is better than Christie). While at face value this seems like a bad trade since Webber is a star player, I actually think the Kings could be much better. Look for Peja to break out.

18. KG-MVP

KG-MVP JBB JustBBall Member

This trade is pretty nuts. I'm just wondering how Peotrie made this trtade and din't get anyone quality back. Not even Kyle Korver or someone like that?

I guess they are assuming that Peja is really gonna come back strong and Mike Bibby is more frequently gonna have 40 point games. Also, one of the bigger problems I see here is : Sacramento was already a bad rebounding team, now they have lost their #1 rebounder. Someone needs to go teach Miller to rebound bettter i guess.

19. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting KG-MVP:</div><div class="quote_post">This trade is pretty nuts. I'm just wondering how Peotrie made this trtade and din't get anyone quality back. Not even Kyle Korver or someone like that?

I guess they are assuming that Peja is really gonna come back strong and Mike Bibby is more frequently gonna have 40 point games. Also, one of the bigger problems I see here is : Sacramento was already a bad rebounding team, now they have lost their #1 rebounder. Someone needs to go teach Miller to rebound bettter i guess.</div>

Interestingly enough, the King have outrebounded their opponents (grabbing 51.4% of boards) when Webber was off the floor, and were outrebounded by the opponent when Webber was on the floor (grabbing only 47%).

20. cula

cula JBB JustBBall Member

I would like to think that this Petrie's intermediate step towards a really good deal. However with the deadline almost past I don't see how anything can really change for now.

While I feel the Kings deserved more for CWebb, I feel one should consider the fact thst they had suggested wanting to trade CWebb and when a decent opportunity came along they did it.