Knicks considering Stoudamire in off season: Article

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by jbbCourtVision, Mar 28, 2005.

1. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">SAN FRANCISCO - Damon Stoudamire will tell you he has a history with Isiah Thomas, one that may be strong enough to lead to a reunion in New York next season with his former boss.

Stoudamire, according to sources, is a free agent the Knicks will strongly consider this summer, even if Thomas selects a guard in the draft. Thomas wants to add quickness, experience and another ball handler to his backcourt. The addition of a player of Stoudamire's caliber would allow Stephon Marbury to play more minutes at shooting guard.

</div> Source

2. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

If it happens, it would give us another scorer and some good experience and a good guard as well. I wouldn't mind having Stoudemire around here., the rookie of the year whom Isiah Thomas drafted.

3. 02civic

02civic JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

mrj18 clear some space in your pm bin man.....sig bet to discuss.

4. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting 02civic:</div><div class="quote_post">mrj18 clear some space in your pm bin man.....sig bet to discuss.</div>
    It's clear, what are you talking about. I have 118 PM's.

5. Tribute to H2O

Tribute to H2O JBB JustBBall Rookie Of The Month

Great...another guard. Why am I not surprised? So next year we'll have Marbury, Houston, Crawford, Penny and Stoudamire. It's just brilliant! Why do we even need Stoudamire any way? What does he give us that we dont already have? I cant figure Isiah out. I suppose signing him wont be that bad if we have nothing better to do than sign a player who will be practically useless to us.

6. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tribute to H2O:</div><div class="quote_post">Great...another guard. Why am I not surprised? So next year we'll have Marbury, Houston, Crawford, Penny and Stoudamire. It's just brilliant! Why do we even need Stoudamire any way? What does he give us that we dont already have? I cant figure Isiah out. I suppose signing him wont be that bad if we have nothing better to do than sign a player who will be practically useless to us.</div>
    Well, Jermaine Jackson is a decent back up, but he isn't as good as Stoudamire. Penny will most likely be gone by next year, so I wouldn't worry about him too much. Stoudamire can create and allow Marbury to play SG. Yes, I know Crawford was supposed to do that this year, but Herb doesn't utilize that matchup that well. Stoudamire can give us a huge spark off the bench, and plus we'll more than likely use our MLE or something low priced to get him, so it can't hurt us all that much. Stoudamire dropped 54 points this year I beleive, and him not having to do everything like he has to do in Portland will allow him to be more useful for us. I don't think Damon will be expensive at all and if he isn't what do we have to lose?

7. JWohl

JWohl JBB Lovin the BCS

stoudamire

I think it would be great if we could pick him up on the cheap

8. SuperAMB

SuperAMB JBB JustBBall Member

Flooding the backcourt. What's wrong with Marbury at the point......aside from a lot. but he can leas the team and handel the ball. we already have many shooting guards, a role that I think Marbury isn't quite fit to play.

9. Penny

Penny JBB JustBBall Member

I doubt this will happen, so I wouldn't get to caught up about it. I doubt Isiah Thomas is that stupid to add another guard to the roster.

But then again .......................

10. JWohl

JWohl JBB Lovin the BCS

media

I doubt this is a reality. Every year you hear of big-name players that 'want' to go to the knicks even for less money. Than they all get signed by other small-market teams for more money. They use the Knicks as a way to drive up the price and get the money out of smaller market teams. Like Dampier last year. He used the knicks to get the contract he wanted from Dallas via Golden State. It is probably just a rumor and an attempt to get more money

11. magicdamo23

magicdamo23 JBB JustBBall Member

Hes a good 6th man considering the back court talent the knicks have (although its alot of vets not many young ones) but is that what the knicks need?

I'd say a solid starter or a big scorer in the post

12. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

I think that would be a terrible move. I basically agree with what everyone has siad, about overloading the backcourt with too many guards. Stoudamire isnt that great PG anyways, he's more of a shoot first guard. Not a good thing, since alot of the players on the Knicks need the ball to be effective.

13. og15

og15 JBB *********

Yup, their's really no need IMO, already have Marbury and Crawford in the backcourt, and no need wasting money on a backup who won't have too much impact on the team in that role really.

14. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">Yup, their's really no need IMO, already have Marbury and Crawford in the backcourt, and no need wasting money on a backup who won't have too much impact on the team in that role really.</div>
    But if we can get Damon at a cheap price, what do we have to lose? The Knicks backcourt is solid and adding another player to it wouldn't be too bad. The Knicks have a solid player in Jermaine Jackson, but a Damon Stoudamire would definitely not hurt imo/

15. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">But if we can get Damon at a cheap price, what do we have to lose? The Knicks backcourt is solid and adding another player to it wouldn't be too bad. The Knicks have a solid player in Jermaine Jackson, but a Damon Stoudamire would definitely not hurt imo/</div>
    Yeah, wouldn't hurt. Thing is: Knicks have just a $4.9 mil MLE to use. Instead of signing a point guard like Stoudamire with that money, why not bring in a center, one that you guys desperately need, even if you want to continue believing that your frontcourt is fine the way it is? Unless you can work out a sign-n-trade for Stoudamire and lose either Houston or Hardaway in the process, the deal would be unwise. The Blazers did the same thing with Daniels, Stoudamire and McInnis at point a few years back, and that didn't work. How would playing time be doled out in this situation?

16. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

It would only be worth it if the Knicks were able to sign him to a cheaper contract. I just have that feeling that Damon still wants big money. The only reason the Knicks would need him would be to add depth to the backcourt which they don't even really need.

17. og15

og15 JBB *********

I think Trip explained it for me, when you only have one MLE, why waste it on a player you really don't need? Yea as a last option, okay it's fine, but I'd think the Knicks need a center more than a PG.

18. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, wouldn't hurt. Thing is: Knicks have just a $4.9 mil MLE to use. Instead of signing a point guard like Stoudamire with that money, why not bring in a center, one that you guys desperately need, even if you want to continue believing that your frontcourt is fine the way it is? Unless you can work out a sign-n-trade for Stoudamire and lose either Houston or Hardaway in the process, the deal would be unwise. The Blazers did the same thing with Daniels, Stoudamire and McInnis at point a few years back, and that didn't work. How would playing time be doled out in this situation?</div>
    I never said the frontcourt was fine, we just need a big man. In the draft, we can get a couple of bigs. Plus I think Isiah will do something about our expiring contracts. If the Knicks can sign at the very least, a decent center, than that would go over Stoudamire. If no center is interested, I have faith in Jackie and the draft so I don't think we will need to sign anyone else for the MLE. For example, if the Knicks can get Big Z, Chandler, Swift, Curry or Kwame for the MLE, than that is what I'd take over Damon.

19. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">I never said the frontcourt was fine, we just need a big man. In the draft, we can get a couple of bigs. Plus I think Isiah will do something about our expiring contracts. If the Knicks can sign at the very least, a decent center, than that would go over Stoudamire. If no center is interested, I have faith in Jackie and the draft so I don't think we will need to sign anyone else for the MLE. For example, if the Knicks can get Big Z, Chandler, Swift, Curry or Kwame for the MLE, than that is what I'd take over Damon.</div>
    If I were you, I would take any of those guys too. I don't know though...the way the Knicks are shaped, the only way that they would be able to sign a player who is going to get more than the MLE is through sign-n-trade, and the thing is you have no one to be able to trade. Ilgauskas, Swift and Curry would get $50-$60 million deals for sure, and Chandler and Brown might be gettable for the MLE. If you want Ilgauskas, Swift or Curry, I guess you'll have to trade picks or guys like Sweetney or Ariza, which I'm sure won't happen. Even if you don't get anybody who'll help, The Knicks still shouldn't sign Stoudamire if they can't lose one of their backcourt players. If you do get Stoudamire, you'll have five players deserving of minutes and starting spots who will have to share 96 minutes, maybe 110 tops if Hardaway shifts to small forward at times. Why create a jam at the one and two if your backcourt is already pretty strong IMO?

20. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">If I were you, I would take any of those guys too. I don't know though...the way the Knicks are shaped, the only way that they would be able to sign a player who is going to get more than the MLE is through sign-n-trade, and the thing is you have no one to be able to trade. Ilgauskas, Swift and Curry would get $50-$60 million deals for sure, and Chandler and Brown might be gettable for the MLE. If you want Ilgauskas, Swift or Curry, I guess you'll have to trade picks or guys like Sweetney or Ariza, which I'm sure won't happen. Even if you don't get anybody who'll help, The Knicks still shouldn't sign Stoudamire if they can't lose one of their backcourt players. If you do get Stoudamire, you'll have five players deserving of minutes and starting spots who will have to share 96 minutes, maybe 110 tops if Hardaway shifts to small forward at times. Why create a jam at the one and two if your backcourt is already pretty strong IMO?</div>
    The Knicks have Tim Thomas and Penny Hardaway who both have expiring contracts. Why can't they use that in a sign and trade deal? Picks and young players for the likes of Ilgauskas, Curry, and Swift? I beg to differ. I doubt the Knicks don't need to, nor should give up young stars for temporary comfort. I don't think Swift and company would get that much money, but if they do, I would not want the Knicks to use their trading pawns on them. Since you suggested getting a center, anyone come to mind who we can use for the MLE?

Well as I said before, Hardaway can be gone after this season, so don?t count on him staying. Even if he?s still around, I think the main goal of the Knicks is to win. If the Knicks are wining, I don?t think that the distribution of minutes will be a huge factor. Adding Stoudamire will give us much depth at that position. Stoudamire can give us energy and a spark off the bench. If the experiment in Portland did not turn out well, what is the guarantee of it happening with the Knicks? Even if it doesn?t turn out well for the Knicks, we can easily trade him with a more than reasonable MLE contract. I see this being a move of depth that can easily be taken care of if it doesn?t turn out well. It seems like a win-win situation for the Knicks.