Knicks Looking at Eddy Curry

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by Mr. J, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Equint77

Equint77 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Best Kept Secret:</div><div class="quote_post">I don?t think a Sweetney for Curry deal would be in the best interest of the Bulls. Tyson Chandler is not bulked up enough to play center, and draw double teams in the post. There for he can not start at center not to mention his offensive game most notably his post up game is not very refined. Should we acquire Sweetney he would be to small to play center making him a life time backup to Tyson Chandler. I don?t see the Bulls letting Curry go without acquiring someone who can give them at least some minutes at center. It was also reported in an article today that Paxson has yet to be contacted by any organization interested in a sign and trade for Curry so I don?t see much truth this rumor. In addition to the fact that should they acquire Curry they would have a huge log jam at center. With James ( big money), Frye (lottery pick), and Curry (23 years old).</div>

Not really... You can eventually start Curry, and Frye as Center and PF.. and have james come off the bench subbing for either. I'd think that's a good problem to have.

2. Tribute to H2O

Tribute to H2O JBB JustBBall Rookie Of The Month

I'd rather keep Sweetney than trade him for Curry. I dont mind taking a risk on Curry but giving up Sweetney just isnt smart. Curry is still a big risk. Up until last year(a contract year) he had been a lazy, out of shape bum with a lot of potential but unwilling to put the work in to fully realize it. There is still a pretty good chance that he might return to his lazy ways when he gets a big long term contract. In fact there are some who say that he is out of overweight(again)right now. Then there are his heart issues. Plus the fact that neither he or Fyre or James are good rebounders. I say if we have to give up some young talent for Curry it should be Frye. With James already at the center position he is expendable. If the Bulls want Frye can play either big position and just might actually get some effort out of him which is something they couldnt do with Curry. I dont mind giving Curry a big fat contract but I do mind giving up vital parts for such a risky player.

Anyway I think Isiah Thomas should be fired.

3. PlaTsanity

PlaTsanity JBB JustBBall Member

Curry to Knicks would be deadly
    That would automatically make Knicks a strong team
    and a chance to create some fire in the atlantic division

4. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Eddy Curry's agent said Saturday he has found a team that is a willing buyer in a sign-and-trade for the Bulls' center. The agent, Leon Rose, declined to name the team, but sources familiar with the negotiations said it was the Knicks.</div>
    Chicago Tribune

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Knicks president Isiah Thomas is not giving up on Eddy Curry, even though the Chicago Bulls appear reluctant to trade the restricted free agent center to the Knicks.

Chicago is entertaining sign-and-trade offers from Memphis and Denver but turned down the Knicks' most recent proposal last week, a deal that is believed to have included Michael Sweetney. The 6-11, 285-pound Curry had his fourth season with the Bulls cut short after being diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat on March 30. He missed the last month, including the Bulls' first-round playoff loss to Washington.</div>
    New York Daily News
    More news on Eddy Curry. Apparently we offered Sweetney in the deal, but they turned it down. I would have a problem giving unloading our expiring contract for Curry though. His heart can't be ensured therefore there's a possibility we'll be in some serious trouble if we give him a long term contract worth that much money. I would really be happy if we got Curry, but only if we get him at a reasonable price.

5. Tribute to H2O

As I said before I'm am firmly against trading Sweetney for Curry but I wouldnt mind giving up an expiring contract or two for him. I would even give the Bulls a draft pick along with it-even if were in the lottery again next year Isiah will just mess it up again-but it doesnt seem to matter. The Bulls look like they want to keep him although I dont understand why. We dont really have anything to offer the Bulls other than Sweetney(unless their interesFrye)and they turned him down. So I guess we should just forget about Curry and laugh after when he gets his big fat contract from the Bulls and goes back to his fat, sloppy and chumpish ways.

6. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

Curry doesnt strike me as a Larry Brown type of player...he's lazy and apathetic at times...plus it seems the Knicks are a perimeter-driven team...Richardson, Marbury, Crawford, Robinson...which means it would seem they'd get big guys who can screen/get some boards and shoot a little...I think Sweetney is a lot more of a Larry Brown player than Curry...sweetney hustles and plays aggressively...I dont know, Curry would help out a little, but not as much as people might think...

7. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

Larry Brown tends to bring out the best of players, and has very tough practices. It would be hard to tell what Curry would be like with LB.

Anyway, who knows what the deal could look like. I think it is better for NY to give up an expiring contract + a pick than to give up Sweetney.

8. Tribute to H2O

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SkiptoMyLue11:</div><div class="quote_post">Larry Brown tends to bring out the best of players, and has very tough practices. It would be hard to tell what Curry would be like with LB.

Anyway, who knows what the deal could look like. I think it is better for NY to give up an expiring contract + a pick than to give up Sweetney.</div>

That sounds good to me. I'll even be willing to throw Fyre in there as well but I dont think the Bulls would bite on that deal.

9. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

We already have post scoring with Sweetney, Curry is just a taller Maurice Taylor, he's not really a productive rebounder/post defender/help defender/shot blocker/ or all around player, basically just a post scorer.

Knicks need a Marcus Camby/Anderson Varejao/Ben Wallace someone who's going to be extremely productive rebounding/shot blocking...because I'm hoping Sweetney will arise and make his name heard all over the NBA, this is his 3rd year, if he doesn't step up now, he'll lose confidence will be just be an inconsistant scrub.

Hopefully Isiah can stop d*ck riding all the players from Chicago and get with the problem here, Knicks are a franchise in desperation, Curry is the last thing we need right now, yeh he's 6"11 270....but he's not physical or is going to be a defensive stopper, and right now on this team, we have zero defensive big men, Rose is old and slow, Jerome James fouls non stop, doesnt play close to 20 minutes a game, non productive, Fyre isn't none to be active in the post, good help defender, but can get molested one on one, and Maurice Taylor, well the name says its all, basically zero defense expected.

Sweetney's defense? Its pretty awful too, makes me crazy sometimes, his defense reminds me of Eddie Casiano, and thats the ultimate diss.

I'm praying Isiah can take his head out of his culo, and mix this team up with some physical hardnose guys in the frontcourt, and some more perimeter defenders, cause the only one we really have is Ariza, and he's pretty raw also.

but lets see what Larry Brown can do, maybe motivate these guys to finally playing D.

10. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

I see what you're saying, Jose, but I think for us to get Curry would be a good move if we trade the right players. Losing Tim Thomas and Penny Hardaway isn't a big blow to the team so if we trade them for Curry, it will be a solid move for us. The thing about Curry that sets him apart from others is in addition to his great post skills, he has the size along with it so he?s more than just a Mo? Taylor. Also, Curry has plenty of potential at only age 23 and if he works hard on his game, he can become a solid 20/10 player in the league. Any center who can do that these days is very valuable. Also with the Knicks perimeter players, having a presence like Curry who can create doubles will spread out the floor. All he needs is effort and if Brown can motivate him and teach him the right way to play, we?ll be legit contenders in the East. This is all one big IF though.

As Tribute said, giving up Sweetney might not be the best move because unlike Curry, we know Sweetney will be working hard on trying to improve his game. If we?re only giving up Penny Hardaway or Tim Thomas ? two players that Curry is better than, than it will be a good trade for us, but if we deal Sweetney, it might not be good for us. We don?t need Curry, but having him will be nice to have and it will bring us so many potential positives and not more negatives than we have now.

11. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Eddy Curry still has upside, and I don't think his heart condition is as serious as the Bulls are making it out to be. It's scary, and it's a risk anytime a player's heart is in question. However, there have been several NBA players with this condition who managed to remain competitive in the league. Terry Cummings played 17 years in the NBA with the same condition.

As far as the Knicks are concerned, Curry does not strike me as the typical Larry Brown player. Curry does not play defense, does not rebound, and needs a lot of touches to keep his head in the game. If you look at the teams Larry Brown coaches, he's more accustomed to shotblocking, defensive intimidators in the paint, instead of low post scorers. I think the Mo Taylor comparison is fairly accurate by j0se in regards to Curry. However, Eddy Curry is much younger, can draw double teams, and shoots a much higher field goal percentage than Taylor.

12. Skiptomylue11

To J0se, you have one defensive minded big man, and that is Malik Rose. He isn't good enough to be a starter, but he is a capable defender.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tribute to H2O:</div><div class="quote_post">That sounds good to me. I'll even be willing to throw Fyre in there as well but I dont think the Bulls would bite on that deal.

Anyway I think Isiah Thomas should be fired.</div>Tribute, so you would be satisfied with Frye + Mo Taylor + a pick for Curry? Or a possibility would be TT + a pick for Curry + Eric Piatkowski(to make salaries work).

Oh and Tribute, I believe I read at hoopshype, that there was a second team willing to do a sign and trade to NY, which worries Chicago. I believe the only team that could do that is Atlanta, and if NY offers Curry a big enough offer then Chicago might not match it.

Personally I think Frye + a pick aren't the most valuable commodities to NY at the moment merely because LB isn't a coach who expends PT to develop rookies. He does whatever he can to win, which usually means sacrificing rookie development.

Anyway, how many starting centers average 16 ppg? Shaq, Yao, Ilgauskaus, Amare, Brad Miller, and Eddy Curry. Amare is going to be starting PF next season, and Brad Miller hits a lot of jumpers. So realistically only 4 centers score as many points as Curry does, NY will have a center with an interior presence. It would be worth it acquiring him.

13. Equint77

Equint77 JBB JustBBall Member

ESPN insider has it rumored that the Knicks are leading as far as maybe acquiring Curry. At the start of the summer I was hoping Isiah would try to swing a deal to bring Eddy to NY but now I'm on the fence. Unless it involves just Sweetney and Penny (contract), I wouldn't do it. In no way do I wanna give up draft picks... not for the huge risk Curry is. Assuming Paxson folds and accepts this deal...

Curry automatically becomes our starting center which makes the James signing irritating. Sure we needed a center and I wasn't crazy about Jerome but the point is he's a functional center and those are a premium. And maybe it'll work out better if he comes off the bench.. who knows.

You can also slide Curry to the PF which can work out. I mean I'd be more comfortable having both James and Curry starting and rounding it out with QR JC and Steph playing in the backcourt.

14. Tribute to H2O

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Equint77:</div><div class="quote_post">You can also slide Curry to the PF which can work out. I mean I'd be more comfortable having both James and Curry starting and rounding it out with QR JC and Steph playing in the backcourt.</div>

Curry should not play powerforward under any circumstances.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SkiptoMyLue11:</div><div class="quote_post">Tribute, so you would be satisfied with Frye + Mo Taylor + a pick for Curry? Or a possibility would be TT + a pick for Curry + Eric Piatkowski(to make salaries work).

Oh and Tribute, I believe I read at hoopshype, that there was a second team willing to do a sign and trade to NY, which worries Chicago. I believe the only team that could do that is Atlanta, and if NY offers Curry a big enough offer then Chicago might not match it.

Personally I think Frye + a pick aren't the most valuable commodities to NY at the moment merely because LB isn't a coach who expends PT to develop rookies. He does whatever he can to win, which usually means sacrificing rookie development.

Anyway, how many starting centers average 16 ppg? Shaq, Yao, Ilgauskaus, Amare, Brad Miller, and Eddy Curry. Amare is going to be starting PF next season, and Brad Miller hits a lot of jumpers. So realistically only 4 centers score as many points as Curry does, NY will have a center with an interior presence. It would be worth it acquiring him.</div>

All those deals definetely work for me. I dont like Taylor, I like Frye even less and I dont trust Isiah Thomas with the draft anymore. So I'd definetely love any of those trades. They would be Isiah's best move yet.

Really?? Do you have any idea what Atlanta might want from us?

It's too bad all those centers you named above are much better defenders and rebounders than Curry(with the exception of Big Z). They also dont have issues with being lazy and overweight. But despite all of his short comings he's definetely worth getting for the Knicks at the moment. Curry and Sweetney would make a great duo in the paint I think.

15. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

A major hold-up in any deal involving Eddy Curry is going to be the BYC (base-year-contract) rules involving Curry. Doing a sign and trade with a BYC player usually requires a third team being involved. So not only do the Bulls need to work out a fair trade for Curry, they also need to find a third team willing to take on a high priced player.

Larry Coon's BYC defined Questions 72 & 74 explain all the intricacies of the BYC players.

Interesting to hear Atlanta being mentioned again. They would be the ideal third party to get involved in this trade because they are still under the cap. However, I have no idea who the Bulls would want to unload besides Eric Piatkowski, and I don't think he makes enough to get the deal done.

16. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Bulls free-agent center Eddy Curry will slip through Isiah Thomas' mitts again. The Post has learned the Knicks offered Chicago a sign-and-trade package of Tim Thomas and Michael Sweetney for the ailing big center, but has been rejected repeatedly by GM John Paxson.

Barring a trade, Curry, suffering from heart irregularities, is expected to sign the Bulls' one-year, $5 million qualifying offer before Saturday's deadline, according to his Jersey-based attorney, Ed Milstein.

Curry has been commiserating on the phone almost daily with his best friend, Knick guard, Jamal Crawford, who's worked behind the scenes to get him to New York.

"They're not trading him," one team executive said.</div>
    New York Post
    It was fun while it lasted. As it turns out, we're not getting Curry. I just think it's interesting how risky Isiah is. He would've started Curry on a $13 million dollars this season without his heart being ensured...

17. Skiptomylue11

13 mill a year is far beyond what I expected Isiah to offer him. I was expecting like 7 to 9 mill a year. 13 seems pretty nutsy... Especially with the heart and work ethic, however Salary Cap doesn't seem to apply to NY so I guess it might not matter.

Anyway, I don't think NY fans should totally give up hope on acquiring Curry anything could happen, and Curry probably wants that cash so he will push for the trade.

18. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Knicks and Bulls continued serious discussions yesterday about a sign-and-trade for Chicago free-agent center Eddy Curry, sources said.

Curry has told friends the Knicks are still in the mix. The deadline for Curry to re-sign with the Bulls for their one-year, $5.1 million qualifying offer has been pushed back from today to Monday.

The holdup in a Knick-Bull deal is the Bulls' refusal to take one of the Knicks' two first-round picks next year. The Bulls prefer a young player added to the package, such as David Lee or Trevor Ariza.

Michael Sweetney and Tim Thomas have been offered in a variety of packages.

Curry's agent, Leon Rose, said: "There's been a lot of discussions the last 48 hours with the Bulls regarding a sign-and-trade."</div>
    New York Post

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Eddy Curry's agent continues to pursue a sign-and-trade for the Bulls' center, and apparently he will keep pushing for it right up to Monday night's deadline for qualifying offers.

Curry has until 11:59 p.m. Monday to accept the Bulls' offer of $5.14 million for the upcoming season, preparations for which open Tuesday with the start of training camp workouts. Originally, the cutoff date for qualifying offers was Saturday, but it was changed to coincide with a weekday. The Bulls can extend the deadline further at their discretion.</div>
    <a href="http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-050930bulls,1,1591552.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines" target="_blank">http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...bulls-headlines]Chicago Tribune</a>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Eddy Curry's agent continued to lobby Friday for Bulls operations chief John Paxson to accept a trade offer from the New York Knicks, a team one source said wouldn't require Curry to take a controversial DNA test.

Curry, 22, and the Bulls might be headed for a precedent-setting arbitration over whether the team has the right to demand Curry take the genetic test. Curry's 2004-05 season was cut short after he was diagnosed with heart arrythmia. A heart specialist suggested Curry take the DNA test to determine if he is predisposed to a potentially fatal heart condition, although another expert cleared Curry to play.</div>
    Chicago Sun Times
    We're still in the mix for Curry, only this time the Bulls are trying to get a first rounder out of us. I don't know if I'll be willing to deal a first rounder to the Bulls even if it is probably in the 28-30 range. I think we're giving up way too much for Curry. Sweetney - a player arguably as good as Curry - is just as bad to give up. Now we need to give up a 13 million dollar expiring contract AND a first round pick? I don't know about that. I know this year's draft isn't as deep as last year's, but there's always a chance of slipping going on. If we give up a first rounder, I think we should take away Sweetey.

19. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Knicks and Bulls continued serious discussions yesterday about a sign-and-trade for Chicago free-agent center Eddy Curry, sources said.

Curry has told friends the Knicks are still in the mix. The deadline for Curry to re-sign with the Bulls for their one-year, $5.1 million qualifying offer has been pushed back from today to Monday.

The holdup in a Knick-Bull deal is the Bulls' refusal to take one of the Knicks' two first-round picks next year. The Bulls prefer a young player added to the package, such as David Lee or Trevor Ariza.

Michael Sweetney and Tim Thomas have been offered in a variety of packages.

Curry's agent, Leon Rose, said: "There's been a lot of discussions the last 48 hours with the Bulls regarding a sign-and-trade."</div>
    New York Post

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Eddy Curry's agent continues to pursue a sign-and-trade for the Bulls' center, and apparently he will keep pushing for it right up to Monday night's deadline for qualifying offers.

Curry has until 11:59 p.m. Monday to accept the Bulls' offer of $5.14 million for the upcoming season, preparations for which open Tuesday with the start of training camp workouts. Originally, the cutoff date for qualifying offers was Saturday, but it was changed to coincide with a weekday. The Bulls can extend the deadline further at their discretion.
    <a href="http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-050930bulls,1,1591552.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines" target="_blank">http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...bulls-headlines]Chicago Tribune</a>

20. Bleed Green

Bleed Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I agree with BKS. The Knicks just need to look at what they have and work from there. They have a very young C in Frye who has major potential. Jerome James is a work in progress but I think LB will teach him alot along with Aguirre. If I were them I would be looking to deal Tim Thomas, Rose, and Taylor. Rose and Taylor were bad moves knowing that we gave away Nazi.
    pg-Marbury
    sg-Crawford
    SF- Q-rich
    PF-sweetney
    C- Jerome James
    and alot of help off the bench in nate robinson, frye, Lee, Houston, and Crawford. Thats good enough. Stop making moves and start looking at the team you already have.