Knicks/Nuggets Brawl

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by Mr. J, Dec 16, 2006.

1. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Anybody feel like dancing?

[​IMG]

2. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">Carter Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Hahaha, I found this pic on another site:

[​IMG]</div>

LMAO, great find.

3. amador08

amador08 JBB JustBBall Member

That guy got knocked out after he got punched by Melo. Hes the one that commited the flagrant foul he deserved to get punched. Obviously Melo backed away he didnt wanna hurt him after he was on the floor.

4. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Wow, I read through like 8 straight pages and obviously I can't comment on every single person's post, but a few notes

- Mardy was wrong, but Isiah could have instructed him to do something like that. That "keeping the starters on the floor" is a dumb excuse. As Shiek pointed out, that play isn't really apart of Mardy's nature.
    - Nate was escalated matters, but I don't think he meant it intentionally he was just trying to be there for his teammate
    - Melo, which was already established, was a bitch.
    - Jared Jeffries wasn't at fault for chasing him, IMO
    - J.R. Smith had a right to be angry, but he should've taken the higher road.

5. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Wow, I read through like 8 straight pages and obviously I can't comment on every single person's post, but a few notes

- Mardy was wrong, but Isiah could have instructed him to do something like that. That "keeping the starters on the floor" is a dumb excuse. As Shiek pointed out, that play isn't really apart of Mardy's nature.
    - Nate was escalated matters, but I don't think he meant it intentionally he was just trying to be there for his teammate
    - J.R. Smith had a right to be angry, but he should've taken the higher road.</div>

I only read the first and last but that pretty much sums up my thoughts.
    I think Nate and Melo are pure wastemans after seeing that.
    Some of the players shouldn't get suspensions but remember players in the pistons/pacers brawl who got suspensions and didn't deserve it!
    Pacers did ok when they lost most of there key players, can nuggets do the same? This is not basketball I wish these kids would grow up.

6. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">bronbron23 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I only read the first and last but that pretty much sums up my thoughts.
    I think Nate and Melo are pure wastemans after seeing that.
    Some of the players shouldn't get suspensions but remember players in the pistons/pacers brawl who got suspensions and didn't deserve it!
    Pacers did ok when they lost most of there key players, can nuggets do the same? This is not basketball I wish these kids would grow up.</div>
    Nuggets play in a competitive Western Conference. Their two leading scorers are gone at least 10 games. I don't think so.

7. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Wow, I read through like 8 straight pages and obviously I can't comment on every single person's post, but a few notes

- J.R. Smith had a right to be angry, but he should've taken the higher road.</div>
    I agree mostly. But, if you're going to let Robinson and Jeffries off the hook, because they were "sticking up for their teammates," then you can't get angry about the Melo punch. You can be annoyed that he'd run away after, but all 3 of those (Jeffries, not so much) should've followed your advice for Smith and "taken the high road."

8. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Chutney Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I agree mostly. But, if you're going to let Robinson and Jeffries off the hook, because they were "sticking up for their teammates," then you can't get angry about the Melo punch. You can be annoyed that he'd run away after, but all 3 of those (Jeffries, not so much) should've followed your advice for Smith and "taken the high road."</div>
    I wasn't justifying Nate's actions; I just thought people thought he purposefully tried to escalate matters trying to be "tough", when he was just trying to be there for Mardy. Nate definitely isn't faultless in the matter. Melo's punch was just random. He waited until everything calmed down and caught Mardy offguard then proceeded to backpeddal pretty fast. Jeffries was going to let him have it, something a good teammate should have done, IMO.

9. Jerry West

Jerry West JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">

I pretty much agree with all that, but i think it's a bit harsh to expect him not to react like he did.

He was obviously wrong to do it, but if i'd been fouled like that and then had Nate carrying on, i'd tackle him too.

Basically, Nate's actions were unnecessary, Carmelo's were both unnecessary and cowardly, JR's actions were unnecessary but not unexpected given what happened to him, Jeffries did nothing wrong at all.

<div class="quote_poster">Chutney Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">But, if you're going to let Robinson and Jeffries off the hook, because they were "sticking up for their teammates," then you can't get angry about the Melo punch. </div>

How is suckerpunching a guy being held and then running considered "sticking up for your teammate"?

I don't excuse Nate at all, Jeffries was chasing a coward who took a cheapshot at a teammate, whereas Carmelo waited until it was dying down before launching a punch and running.

There was no teammate in danger, no one he needed to protect, he simply saw an opportunity for a cheapshot and couldn't help himself.

<div class="quote_poster">NTC187 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I dont know why you're all calling Melo a coward and the like, this isnt the UFC, there are no rules in a fight, anything goes, anything is legal. Melo made a smart move, throw a punch and get the hell out of there. While I'd prefer to see him go toe to toe with someone "like a man", you cant hold him at fault for what he did.</div>

No, smart would have been not getting involved.

You don't honestly think he ran because he was worried about a suspension, surely.
    He ran because he's a coward who was scared.
    Simple.

<div class="quote_poster">Locke Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I don't know if this has been discussed and I'm too lazy to go back through 10 pages of the thread, but does anyone else think George Karl is at fault? The Knicks were up 19 with a minute to go, yet Carmelo, JR Smith and Andre Miller were all in the game? When this is at MSG, no less. It just seems like Karl was rubbing it in, and JR Smith's showboating is definitely not professional. It's reasonable, then, in that context, why the Knicks were frustrated. You're getting run off you're gym floor in a game that's already over, and the other team's best players are making flashy plays against your backups.</div>

Denver do that often though.

Last week they had Carmelo, Miller and Smith on court against Miami's Barron, Hite and Quinn at the end of the game which they won by 16.

This happened knowing they had to go to Dallas the following night.

It irritates me greatly, so it was nice to see a team refuse to let Denver try their usual tricks.

10. WildHundreds113

WildHundreds113 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Will637 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">[​IMG]</div>

In the words of Scooby Doo " RarRelo's a Russy!!!! RUSSY RUSSY RUUUUUUUSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

11. Jerry West

Jerry West JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Locke Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I don't know if this has been discussed and I'm too lazy to go back through 10 pages of the thread, but does anyone else think George Karl is at fault? The Knicks were up 19 with a minute to go, yet Carmelo, JR Smith and Andre Miller were all in the game? When this is at MSG, no less. It just seems like Karl was rubbing it in, and JR Smith's showboating is definitely not professional. It's reasonable, then, in that context, why the Knicks were frustrated. You're getting run off you're gym floor in a game that's already over, and the other team's best players are making flashy plays against your backups.</div>

Denver do that often though.

Last week they had Carmelo, Miller and Smith on court against Miami's Barron, Hite and Quinn at the end of the game which they won by 16.

This happened knowing they had to go to Dallas the following night.

It irritates me greatly, so it was nice to see a team refuse to let Denver try their usual tricks.

12. NTC

NTC Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Jerry West Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">No, smart would have been not getting involved.

You don't honestly think he ran because he was worried about a suspension, surely.
    He ran because he's a coward who was scared.</div>

You're right, he should'nt have gotten ivolved, that would've been the smart thing to do, but he did get involved, so lets talk about that.

We dont know why he ran back like that, maybe he was getting back into the open court to get into good position to continue the fight? Maybe he realised what he did was stupid and tried to get out of there before making his suspension any worse? Maybe he was scared? The only person who knows is Carmelo Anthony. Though I highly doubt Melo would be afraid of the likes of a little punk like Nate Robinson.

George Karl wasnt the one at fault here, so what he kept his starters in with a minute to go and they were up by 19? As Dan Wetzel said in that article I posted, did Isiah Thomas expect mercy or somthing? This isnt Playschool, this is the NBA, you play to win no matter the cost. Isiah Thomas is a weak coach, admitting they had given up at that stage, you should'nt give up until the final siren goes, if I was the Knicks owner, I would've fired his ass straight after the game. Didnt he learn anything from T-Mac? The game isnt over until the final siren goes.

13. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

Someones post on another website:
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">i dont see why people thinkin Melo should have stood his ground?

the target had been destroyed, he had visual confirmation....the mission was accomplished so he headed back to base :lol

realtalk though you just gonna stand there and get beat by 5 dudes? (nh) or are you gonna move?</div>
    lol, I agree....

14. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Air Fresh Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Someones post on another website:

lol, I agree....</div>
    He should have never hit Mardy, who was obviously off his guard and start running. And the only one going after Melo was Jeffries and Nate. It was a bitch move by Melo to hit a player who wasn't expecting it after the confrontation was settled. Dude back peddaled like he was preventing a fast break or something. The only street cred he gets for running like that is with soccer moms.

15. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">AllNet Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Anybody feel like dancing?

[​IMG]</div>

Jeffries is getting freaky wit Najera there...

16. phunDamentalz

phunDamentalz JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">He should have never hit Mardy, who was obviously off his guard and start running. And the only one going after Melo was Jeffries and Nate. It was a bitch move by Melo to hit a player who wasn't expecting it after the confrontation was settled. Dude back peddaled like he was preventing a fast break or something. The only street cred he gets for running like that is with soccer moms.</div>
    THink about it - if you're Carmelo, if you've made it to the NBA, you're making millions, you have so much opportunities to do stuff with your life - anything, and you're actually concerned about street cred and what a few scumbags that you hang out with think about whether you got embarrassed on a basketball court, that is pretty sad.

17. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">I wasn't justifying Nate's actions; I just thought people thought he purposefully tried to escalate matters trying to be "tough", when he was just trying to be there for Mardy. Nate definitely isn't faultless in the matter. Melo's punch was just random. He waited until everything calmed down and caught Mardy offguard then proceeded to backpeddal pretty fast. Jeffries was going to let him have it, something a good teammate should have done, IMO.</div>
    Well he did escalate matters. In the video, it looks like he originally came in the middle to seperate the two and make sure Mardy Collins didn't get hit or anything. Nothing wrong with that. But then, when Smith is getting pulled back and there's some space between his and Collins, Nate throws up his fist and starts yelling at him. That's just as random as the Melo punch. The results may have been different, but both did exactly the same thing: stupid actions that escalated the fight even further, just as it was starting to calm down.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Jerry West:</div><div class="quote_post">How is suckerpunching a guy being held and then running considered "sticking up for your teammate"?

I don't excuse Nate at all, Jeffries was chasing a coward who took a cheapshot at a teammate, whereas Carmelo waited until it was dying down before launching a punch and running.

There was no teammate in danger, no one he needed to protect, he simply saw an opportunity for a cheapshot and couldn't help himself.</div>
    I didn't mean that literally and I don't believe it, either. It was a hypothetical statement that I was using to argue against MrJ's semi-defense of Nate Robinson. Both of them did similar things (acts of aggression that escalated the fight, just as it started to calm down), so if you're going to say that one was "sticking up for a teammate" then you have to apply it to both. IMO, both of them should be held accountable.

18. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">He should have never hit Mardy, who was obviously off his guard and start running. And the only one going after Melo was Jeffries and Nate. It was a bitch move by Melo to hit a player who wasn't expecting it after the confrontation was settled. Dude back peddaled like he was preventing a fast break or something. The only street cred he gets for running like that is with soccer moms.</div>
    Yeah your right, although I do believe Mardy deserved that based on his flagrant foul.

19. NTC

NTC Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Air Fresh Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Someones post on another website:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">i dont see why people thinkin Melo should have stood his ground?

the target had been destroyed, he had visual confirmation....the mission was accomplished so he headed back to base :lol

realtalk though you just gonna stand there and get beat by 5 dudes? (nh) or are you gonna move?</div>

lol, I agree....</div>

Me too, thats basically what I was trying to say.

20. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Chutney Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Well he did escalate matters. In the video, it looks like he originally came in the middle to seperate the two and make sure Mardy Collins didn't get hit or anything. Nothing wrong with that. But then, when Smith is getting pulled back and there's some space between his and Collins, Nate throws up his fist and starts yelling at him. That's just as random as the Melo punch. The results may have been different, but both did exactly the same thing: stupid actions that escalated the fight even further, just as it was starting to calm down.</div>
    Smith said something to Nate. I'm not exactly sure what it was, but seeing how infuriated he was it could have easily been threats or something. That's just speculating, but Nate was definitely provoked by something Smith said, which is why he put up his fists. Melo actually hit Collins, which is totally different from simply putting your fists up. Both did stupid things, but the extent of the stupidity is what makes the situation different.