Knicks-Nuggets Brawl

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by philsmith75, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

Wow I can't believe Andre Miller decided to tackle Nat Robinson. That guy is so small.

I would doubt that Carmello will be suspended for the season. But I could see him being very heavily fined and suspended for several games.

2. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Wow I can't believe Andre Miller decided to tackle Nat Robinson. That guy is so small.

I would doubt that Carmello will be suspended for the season. But I could see him being very heavily fined and suspended for several games.</div>

Perhaps but Stern seems to be hell bent on making the NBA marketable to middle class white people (where the money's at) ever since the Detroit-Indy brawl. Hes been cracking down on all incidents and changing rules to make the NBA seem less urban and "ghetto". He may want to make an example of Melo and send a message to all players that stuff like that won't be tolerated.

Plus that was such a bitch move he should be banned from the NBA and exiled from Brooklyn (where he was born and bred) for being so embarrassing.

3. Clif25

I am not sure what kind of a deterrence suspending 'Melo for the whole season would make. I don't think it would be very proportionate to the whole situation. Maybe he gets supsended for 15-20 games or so, along with giving him a decent fine while not being paid over that amount of time by the Nuggets.

Anyway, it's up to Stern to decide. Out of the Sprewell/PJ and the Pacer/Detroit incident I see this one being at a lower level.

Does anybody remember when Rick Fox somewhat body-slammed Danny Fortson? Then when Fortson got up and gave Fox an evil look Fox went quickly towards Shaq. I don't think anybody got suspended or thrown out, it kind of just went under the radar I suppose. But that was the biggest cheap-shot, hit and run thing I had seen. But maybe this one takes the cake with Carmello.

4. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Artest's foul on Dunleavy (a similar neck collar thowdown move) the other night vs. Sacto was harder than the foul that instigated this fight. Carmelo really seems like a coward trying to look like a tough guy. Melo will not be suspended for the season, it's all about the money. 10 games, book it.

5. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

I can see around 30 games for N. Robinson and 10-15 games for Anthony. Without Robinson going nuts, this could have ended with simple Flagnant 2. Instead, Robinson just caused all chaos by pushing Smith and tackling Miller. And, when things were about to settle, Anthony came back and landed a sucker punch, starting 2nd phase of the brawl. But then, it didn't turn out to be Indiana-Detroit, so I don't see season ending suspensions...

6. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

BJM, your question about how Melo's inevitable suspension affects the standings, got me thinking. Do you think this might make Denver more willing to deal for Iverson?

Also, if Isiah told Collins to go and take a player out (which is post-game interview apparently suggested), then he deserves the most blame.

7. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Chutney Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">BJM, your question about how Melo's inevitable suspension affects the standings, got me thinking. Do you think this might make Denver more willing to deal for Iverson?

Also, if Isiah told Collins to go and take a player out (which is post-game interview apparently suggested), then he deserves the most blame.</div>

If Thomas told Collins to take a player out, he will get what he deserves. After all, his future lies with this season's success, and he will lose multiple players for quite some time...

8. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    Just finished watching the video.

The way I see it is it's more a reflection of George Karl. In the first place, why did he have his starters on the floor when the game is already a blowout? That shouldn't happen.

If Thomas did tell Collins to do the flagrant, then I'm sure he'll be penalized but Karl should be penalized more.

Second, that was a cheap shot by Melo. I think he, Collins and Robinson should get the most suspension days. Collins for the flagrant and Robinson for being out on the floor and instigating. The other guys tossed will get some multiple game suspensions, too.

And for all the conspiracists out there. The league should drag Larry Brown in and fine his *ss, too [​IMG].

9. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">jason voorhees Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">

The way I see it is it's more a reflection of George Karl. In the first place, why did he have his starters on the floor when the game is already a blowout? That shouldn't happen.
    </div>

Hm... is George Karl a friend of Larry Brown? The one Thomas fired? [​IMG]

10. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    Yeah. There must be something there or else why would Karl do that? Unless he had an incident with Thomas that we don't know about. We should hear more about it in the days to come.

11. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah, that was a cheap shot no doubt. If you watch, Melo was up in the mix, standing around all free, when he had plenty of chances to try to go toe-to-toe with someone, but he never raised a finger. It wasn't until after Collins was wrapped up by 2 people that he throws hist little haymaker and then starts backing away in a hurry...?

But why should Karl be punished more than Thomas?

12. Clif25

I think if two players have a dispute and want to get physical about it, the rest of the team should kind of back off, like they do in the NHL [​IMG] haha. (then after they get physical one on one as much as they want the refs can throw them out and such).

Some people take things too personal sometimes. Let's play some basketball. There should be no rioting on the basketball court.

13. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    But why should Karl be punished more than Thomas?</div>

Neither should be punished as we don't know what the two had in mind. All we know is that Denver's starters were playing in the last minute of a blowout. There must've been something behind that.

14. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">But why should Karl be punished more than Thomas?</div>

I don't think either should or will be punished but Karl was being an ass playing all of his starters in the last minute of a blowout game while NY was playing scrubs (hence why Collins was even in the game). As for Thomas, I don't think he did anything wrong. From what I've heard of his postgame comments he didn't tell anyone to foul hard or foul at all though he did justify Collins actions.

Smith should have seen it coming though, he had just thrown down a reverse dunk and had another with Collins coming after him. If I'm Collins I do the same thing or worse, I don't want to see some assclown have the pleasure of throwing down a dunk then flaunting it more in my face while I'm on my home floor. I'd hit him in mid-air 10 times out of 10.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I think if two players have a dispute and want to get physical about it, the rest of the team should kind of back off, like they do in the NHL [​IMG] haha. (then after they get physical one on one as much as they want the refs can throw them out and such).</div>

Agree.

15. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Okay, first off: Isiah Thomas said in his post game conference that Denver was having their way with NY and he questioned why Denver left Smith and Anthony in there in the final minutes.

Uh... newsflash, Isiah -- this is the NBA, and there have been thousands of games in the last 50 years where teams leave starters in at the end of blowouts. It could be for a number of reasons -- hell i'm sure Lambieer and Isah stayed in at the end of a few of their blowouts. What's new?

Second -- Yes, Isiah did admit intent -- at the end of the conference, he said the crowd just watched Smith do a reverse dunk, and that the owner of the team didn't want the crowd to see another one, and so we fouled him.

You can watch that at ESPN.com.

edit: too bad it went into the stands. One lady got trampled and there were kids watching, too.

16. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">WildHundreds113 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">LOL wow Im an idiot for thinking this thread is shameless? wow, Dont throw names around dude. Im just stating my opinion.</div>

No, I think he mainly thinks you're an idiot because you're out here jumping to conclusions and throwing accusations around like you know what's up.

In fact, it's quite common on this forum for warrior fans to post an OT topic every once in a while because we've all been together here for a long time. Sometimes people want the forum's perspective so they place it in here rather than nba general discussion because some warrior fans don't know to look there. In this case, we wanted a warriors perspective which will probably flow over to nba general discussion.

I don't have a problem with opinions, but only if they're rude or effete of any value. In this case, I felt you "baited". I mean what kind of idiot ignorantly calls out the entire forum and then says "Go Bulls"?

Anyone is welcome to add their input as long as it's respectful and mature.
    But yours is not.

And Run, if this happens again, refer to site policy. Feel free to exercise your rights as a moderator. There's no need to humiliate the guy. He's doing a good job of it himself.

Anyway, back on topic. I think this is an unfortunate event. At least the fans weren't fighting. It's kind of a gray area to say whose fault this fight was. But all I know is, if my friend/teammate got sucker punched, I've dive in. Hard-foul or flagrant foul, it happens, and it's part of the game. Can't fight over that.

JR Smith had a right to be mad, but he wasn't thinking just like Carmelo later on wasn't thinking. Now the Knicks brought the Nuggets down to their level by taking away their best players. And all it cost the Knicks were Mardy Collins, Channing Frye, David Lee, Nate Robinson and Jared Jeffries. Thanks Knicks! Because we sure do struggle against them nuggets.

17. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I think if two players have a dispute and want to get physical about it, the rest of the team should kind of back off, like they do in the NHL [​IMG] haha. (then after they get physical one on one as much as they want the refs can throw them out and such).
    </div>

Yes! Exactly! I mean it was a 6'6 220lb guard vs. a 6'6 220lb guard. It wasn't like a big fight between Nene and Nate Robinson where Robinson is swinging at Nene's ankles.

18. iLL PiLL

iLL PiLL JBB JustBBall Member

Crazy fight! I don't know who i dislike more Melo..for always torching us every game or Robinson for being a complete fool by trying to take on the whole team. You guys keep bringing up that Andre Miller was the one who tackled Robinson to the stands but that wasn't him. It was J.R. Smith but on espn..it says he was thrown but I didn't even see him once in the clip after i watched it 4 times.

19. Clif25

<div class="quote_poster">iLL PiLL Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Crazy fight! I don't know who i dislike more Melo..for always torching us every game or Robinson for being a complete fool by trying to take on the whole team. You guys keep bringing up that Andre Miller was the one who tackled Robinson to the stands but that wasn't him. It was J.R. Smith but on espn..it says he was thrown but I didn't even see him once in the clip after i watched it 4 times.</div>

After blocking Yao Ming, Robinson probably believes he can take on anyone. Wasn't he a football player too? hmm...

20. Pgballer17

Pgballer17 JBB JustBBall Member

Melo is such a bi***. He sucker punches someone(Jeffries?) and then back pedals his way to his bench. The sad thing is the other embarassing events Melo had has have fortified his "street cred", like his appearance in a drug dealers movie. However, this was act of a coward who should be suspended for at least 10 games.