Knicks @ Raptors

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by VinKanaddy, Nov 24, 2004.

1. arhieboy

arhieboy JBB Banned Member

Yah that was a different style of a windmill. I have the clip, and boy its hot. Not only did he do a windmill, a threw it down behind his head.

2. 02civic

02civic JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

tribute to H20 - you are saying they're "soooooo" much better becuase "its inconceivable" that they wont win their division.
    1) Ray Allen has been less of a 3 point threat in recent years.
    Allen Houston
    00-01 0.433 0.381
    01-02 0.434 0.393
    02-03 0.377 0.396
    03-04 0.392 0.431
    04-05 0.506 -

So the past 2 years Allens shot better from 3, not by alot in 2002 but a fair amount in 03-04...but the 2 years before it were Ray Allens...and he's blistering right now in a young season. Also Ray Allens career 3% is higher than Houstons career 3%. I hardly think you can say that Houston is out right the better shooter...no not only that, "the best in the league" according to you.

2) Sweetney can be contained without doubling off by alot of teams. Etan Thomas is a big boy and not a bad rebounder...he might be able to do it solo for a bit. And besides, doesnt really matter if other teams double...every teams got someone that needs doubling...its all about help defense, which the Knicks dont play very well. I'm not sure if even you would believe that Sweetney and Crawford are so good to require a double team every touch they get. There are situations where it might be a good idea..and there are other times when its not.

3)Doesnt really matter how he gets the % to me. 52% is a good average dont get me wrong..and the kid shows promise, but he's taken only 50 shots so far this year...its young still...dont count your eggs before they've hatched. He'll be good for you...but he's not a ticket to the division title.

4) Jamisons knock is that none of his teams have won. Fine. But the guys got talent, and the Knicks wished they had someone like him. Slow him down, thats fine. But he's almost a gaurentee for 20 and 7 on you every night. Face the facts..your team has a hard time shutting down opposing small forwards...case in point, vince carter torched you guys....and he's been playing like crap.

5) You list your bigs and say they're decent defenders...so what..what does the mean. Kwame Brown is good defender, E. Thomas is good, so is Haywood and Jeffries...Ruffin aint all the bad either. So what has this proven. Are your guys better defenders than Washingtons guys...despite New York having the highest opponent FG% in the league?????

6) Alston, Bosh pick and roll works pretty good too. Same with Allen Iverson, Thomas/Dalembert. As a matter of fact...same with Pierce..umm...and Wade...and...Bron..... Alot of teams are good with pick and roll...and pick and rolls are so basic that almost every team has them as a large part of their half court offence. I see no reason to believe the Knicks are any better at it, or any more efficient than the guys i mentioned above. I watch alot of games, alot of Knicks games...and i'm not seeing it. But its not really showing in the Knicks @ par shooting %. (maybe even sub par...i dont feel like running the numbers)

7) I dont know what grounds you have to say your bench suits your team more than washintons...or any other team. Brewer's shoting 25% and not doing alot anywhere else, JYD's performing on par...but nothing special with his 4pts and 3rbs a game...and Crawfords a starter, at least until Houston comes back. Washington averages more bench points and rebounds per game!!!! I'll take the Toronto bench over yours any day.

You asked for the defensive matchups.

Nazr and Haywood arent power house offensive players..but Haywood averages triple the blocks per game then Nazr..making Haywood more valuable on help defense from the weak side.

T. Thomas vs. !!Anyone!! Put my mother on this guy and she'd find a way to score...he's an obvious defensive liablity for the 24 minutes he's on the court. Hayes, Jamison, Ghandi...they could all drop 35 on this guy. Not to mention cleaning him up on the glass like its going out of style.

Hughes vs. Crawford Not being a defensive stoper Crawford has a hard time with alot of people...he's playing out of postion but has a comparable size matchup with Hughes. Still...hughes has to much offensive prowess to be stopped by Crawford, and the Knicks weak help defense makes it possible for Hughes to drop 30 without needing a career game.

Houston vs. !!Anyone!! Another gaping hole in the Knicks defense...especially with him coming back from injury...it'll be tough to see if he's got the quickness left to guard the opposing teams runners...he didnt exaclty have the quickest feet in the league when he was healthy let alone now.

I dont feel like breaking down the whole team...but that'll give you an idea. Look at the numbers...the knicks are a poor defensive team. Their proving it....and you cant covince me of other wise until they actually start showing it on the floor.

And ANYWAYS....my original comment was about mrj18's comments about New York being a sure thing over Toronto. I said they werent a sure thing over many of the competing teams and i proved it. Then you all started talking about Allan Houston. But he wasnt in this game...wasnt supposed to be in this game..hasnt been in any game this year but eveytime i see one of you guys talk its a sure thing you're gunna win over almost ANY eastern team. Now i think i've proven my point that New York is NOT on a different level than the rest of the East teams 3 through 9, and i did so while taking Houston into account...even though....this started with a comparison to the current team....not a team + Houston when he's healthy

i rest my case

BTW - i pick the Raptors to win the Atlantic with Phili behind them, then New York.

3. VinKanaddy

VinKanaddy JBB JustBBall Member

The Sports Illustrated people must've been smoking cracks when they said Vince was the most overrated athlete, because Allan Houston is the most overrated player AND the most overpaid player. Let's see...he's 33 now and he still has 3 more years left on his $20 million a year contract, by which time he will be 36 years "young". Granted, he's still a great outside shooter and an average defender but he's nothing more, and it's not like he's going to get better because he's only getting older. Vlade Divac said when he tried to explain why he reported to the training camp overweight, "Our heads get heavier as we get older; we get a lot wiser and that's why I'm heavier now", well apprently getting wiser has no positive effect on Vlade's stat sheet - he only played 5 minutes this season because of a lingering injury that comes with age (herniated disk in his lower back) and is averaging nothing more than 1 PF/game. Okay, enough about the age topic, but who the hell pays $20 million a year to a player of Allan's calibre? I mean Brent Barry is also a great outside shooter, is more athletic, is a better defender and a better ball handler than Allan Houston and he still only gets paid $5 million a year. Only deal that seems more ridiculous to me is the deal that the Warriors gave to Adonal Foyle that will pay the backup centre $56 million over 5 years. The point? Even if Allan returns he's not going to be that much of an effect. Sure, he may average 20 ppg but like I said, he's just that - a scorer. Just to give you a perspective, Allan averaged 18.5 ppg, 2.4 rpg and 2.0 apg last season. Other stats like stealing and blocking are decimal. He doesn't make others around him any better by averaging 2 apg and 2.4 rpg, if anything he will take away from the others' game by robbing that 18.5 ppg off other scorers in the Knicks roster. I'm sorry to say this, but Isiah Thomas messed up your team big time, and not just for this season, but for 3 or 4 more years. All because he only thought of the apparent popularity and publicity and not the future.

Your contract situation for years to come:

Tim Thomas - $11 million / yr, FA at 06-07 season.
    Allan Houston - $20 million / yr, rises to $23 million for his final year. FA at 07-08 season.
    Stephon Marbury - $22 million / yr, FA in 09-10 when he's 32.
    Jamal Crawford - $8 million / yr, FA in 11-12.

No one wants part of Tim Thomas or Allan Houston, Isiah Thomas is not willing to give up Marbury, and Jamal Crawford's locked up for 7 more years to come. Good luck in building a championship team.

4. Gotrunks226

Gotrunks226 JBB JustBBall Member

Hmmm .... i wonder if Knicks and Raptors could play each other again in the playoffs... Would be great to see with their past rivalries

5. arhieboy

arhieboy JBB Banned Member

Vince would still torch them in the playoffs, and now it will be even easier (no spree). No one on the knicks can defend bosh, carter, or even alston for that matter. Straight uo, Knicks have the worst D in the league. Even the Bobcats have better D. Ok u knick fans will say we have no answer for Marbury, and I'll give u that, but he can't win the game all by himself. Even if him and Nazr Muhammed combined get 80 points (no chance), you'lls till lose. Houston, Thomas, their whole bench will be nonfactors. And the only guy Raptors have to gaurd is Jamal Crawford, and if you look at yesterday, the Raps made him suffer.

6. 02civic

no rebuttel to my long post above Knick fans.....where's your circular reasoning now. I proved my point. Your offence is average (94ppg) your defence is abismal (48.5% opponent FG%). Case closed

7. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

It's too early in the season for those stats to really count. Just about a tenth of the NBA season has been played so far so the stats don't mean too much.

8. AirJordan

AirJordan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting McGrady^1:</div><div class="quote_post">lol r me an ddeception the only ones that saw david allen's wife unzip her jacket</div>

I saw it too [​IMG]

9. 02civic

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">It's too early in the season for those stats to really count. Just about a tenth of the NBA season has been played so far so the stats don't mean too much.</div>

i didnt use stats...i broke it down based on their abilities, with only some stats to show a point.
    but i expected excuses from you guys. I could do stats from lastyear too if you wanted. To show that the Knicks were NOT a "next level" team. They were and are, no different from many East teams ranked 3-10! We're all closely matched

deal with it

10. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting 02civic:</div><div class="quote_post">i didnt use stats...i broke it down based on their abilities, with only some stats to show a point.
    but i expected excuses from you guys. I could do stats from lastyear too if you wanted. To show that the Knicks were NOT a "next level" team. They were and are, no different from many East teams ranked 3-10! We're all closely matched

deal with it</div>
    You used that fg% stat and said it was due to bad defense when in all actuality we were playing many good teams in the begining of the season. And bringing last year stats will just give you inaccurate info because if you havent noticed we have a different team from last year.

11. skip

skip BBW Member

and we werent playing good games int he begining of the season?

Houston
    Detroit
    Sacramento
    Portland
    Utah
    Denver

and those arent good teams?

12. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Denver, Portland, and Detroit havn't been playing so well in the begining of the season so far. I wouldn't say that they are bad teams they just aren't playing well so it's nothing to get too excited over.

13. Premium

Premium JBB I'm kind of a big deal

wait wait wait...you said that YOU were playing many good teams at the beginning of the season, but then you turn around and say that try to argue that we havnt...look at the teams you've played so far...

boston, philly, clippers, houson, cleveland, detroit, raptors...if you say that you've played "many good teams" then so have we. it works both ways

14. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

You forgot about the Pacers, T'Wolves and the Mavericks. These teams are definitely championship contenders.

15. VinKanaddy

Cross off the Pacers. They have no chance at winning the championship without Artest. I don't even know if they'll make the playoffs with Jermaine O'Neal out for 23 more games and Stephen Jackson out for 28 more games.

16. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting VinKanaddy:</div><div class="quote_post">Cross off the Pacers. They have no chance at winning the championship without Artest. I don't even know if they'll make the playoffs with Jermaine O'Neal out for 23 more games and Stephen Jackson out for 28 more games.</div>
    Well they were before and they might still make it. They beat Minnesota today. They're not as bad as everyone thinks they are. Btw, this thread has to be close to a JBB record with almost a 100 posts in a day! That's pretty good.

17. VinKanaddy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">if you havent noticed we have a different team from last year.</div>

I wanna ask you, how different is your Knicks team really? You've only added Jamal Crawford. Oh wait you added Jerome Williams too. Refer to my prior post but Isiah only made the situation worse by getting Jamal and Jerome. You might make the playoffs this season but don't be surprised if the Knicks have no cap flexibility for the next 3-4 years - in other words you'll be stuck with a bunch of has-beens that get paid at least over $10 million a year. Hell, just look at how Isiah gave up Keith Van Horn for Tim Thomas. If you still had Van Horn, your team would have had better dynamics. Isiah sold a solid talent for an uncertain potential. What's next? Fire Lenny Wilkens and become a head coach? Pshhh..

18. 02civic

sorry sunshine...we've played much better teams than you...and we played 6 of them in 9 nights on a west coast swing. Swing try again

19. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Our team is very much different. We have Ariza, Brewer, Crawford, Williams. Four players that get signifficant minutes. What does our lack of cap flexibility have to do with anything? We have two huge contracts expiring in 06 which will give us some flexibility. Besides we are still a good team. The cap has nothing to do with anything. TT was not the only player in the deal. Mohammed was in the deal as well. We got two starters for the price of one.

20. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting 02civic:</div><div class="quote_post">sorry sunshine...we've played much better teams than you...and we played 6 of them in 9 nights on a west coast swing. Swing try again</div>

Sonny, most of the teams that you were playing have been struggling and you played 5 games with your whole roster unlike NYk.