Knicks @ Raptors

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by VinKanaddy, Nov 24, 2004.

1. VinKanaddy

VinKanaddy JBB JustBBall Member

The cap has to do with EVERYTHING. What's the goal of a franchise in the NBA, any franchise in any league for that reason? It is to win a championship, and you can't win a championship by just stacking up inflated contracts after inflated contracts. It's proven by the New York Yankees, twice in a row now, that even in baseball money alone can't win the world series. About the Tim Thomas deal, you really only got Nazr Mohammed on that deal because Tim Thomas is like a non-factor on either ends of the court. That's how it always has been with Tim Thomas. Everyone used to say that he had the talent and the potential to be all he can be if he really wanted to. He didn't respond and I don't think he ever will. Ariza I give credit because he's averaging decent numbers in 16.5 mpg, but Brewer? He's averaged 12.5 mpg in 2 games and he's averaging 1 ppg, 3 rpg and 1 apg. That's not exactly a good contribution in my standards. Which two huge contracts are you talking about? If you are talking about Tim Thomas and Anfernee Hardaway's contracts that accounts for less than $12 million in total, assuming Isiah will keep Nazr Mohammed who also is eligible for FA in '06-'07. That's like 10% of your payroll and you'll still be exceeding the cap by at least $40 million, and that's even if the salary cap is set at $50 million for 06-07 season. You know teams can't sign any big-name free agents when they are exceeding the salary cap. Isiah will either have to try to resign one or both of the two or sign someone using his $5 million exception to avoid leaving gaps in his roster, and the whole cycle begins again. I'm not saying Knicks are a bad team right now, I don't think anybody's saying that, but I'm just pointing out that your team's future is in the clouds.

2. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

We have good players now. Despite having bad contracts there are many teams like the Mavericks, and Yankees that are loaded with the Knicks problems as well. The Yankee thing was a matter of effort not because of money.

3. 02civic

02civic JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">Sonny, most of the teams that you were playing have been struggling and you played 5 games with your whole roster unlike NYk.</div>

dude...struggling...the teams you've beaten have been ass....a few good ones..but were also struggling. We lost 3 games by 3 points or less on a grueling west road trip. so many back to backs....little rest...and good teams. and we still have either the same..or better record than you. and without donyell, a struggling vince, and an injured Rose

???

4. og15

og15 JBB *********

Actually the Raptors have a really hard schedule, playing the Knicks was our 3rd game agaisnt and Eastern Conference team, we have an early schedule as if we were a Western team, and our other Eastern games were the Wizards and Pistons.

<u>Raptors</u>
    Rockets - W
    Pistons - W
    Blazers - W
    @Kings - L
    @Jazz [B 2 B] - W
    @Sonics - L
    @Blazers [B 2 B] - L
    @Clippers - L
    @Nuggets [B 2 B] - L
    Sonics - L
    Spurs - W
    @Wizards - L
    Knicks [B 2 B] - W
    Summary: 4 back to backs, 7 games on the road, and 10 games vs West.

<u>Knicks</u>
    @Timberwolves - L
    Celtics - L
    Sixers - W
    Clippers - W
    @Pacers - L
    @Spurs - L
    @Rockets - W
    @Mavericks [B 2 B] - L
    Cavaliers - W
    Atlanta - W
    @Toronto - L
    Summary: 1 back to back, 6 games on the road, and 5 games vs West

Raptors easiest win was, the Knicks, the Knicks easiest win was agaisnt the Hawks.

5. 02civic

02civic JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

they'll probably come up with a reason why their schedule has been harder. it'll probably include some BS about A. Houston...lol. Its obvious that the raps have had it tougher, but they dont listen.

6. Premium

Premium JBB I'm kind of a big deal

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">You forgot about the Pacers, T'Wolves and the Mavericks. These teams are definitely championship contenders.</div>

no...i didnt at all...im just naming some of the teams you've played. you seem to argue that the knicks have had a harder schedule then the raps when it could be argued that you've had an easier one

we had a six game WESTERN road trip...that alone is a tough swing. not to mention detroit was hardly struggling when we played them...and the champs are always a tough game...struggling or not.

raps havnt had an easy schedule...dont know why it seems you're trying to argue that

7. lunetik4raps

lunetik4raps JBB JustBBall Member

Man someone lock this thread.. fact of the matter is raps won and there aint no fluke about it, they deserved to win through there play while another team didn't. Let's look forward please

8. VinKanaddy

At least the Mavs are rolling even if they do have hefty contracts. I'd think paying $14,609,375 for Michael Finley and $12,584,688 for Dirk Nowitzki is a pretty good deal, I'd take them on my team any time but not Allan Houston or Tim Thomas. No way.

You can't argue that Knicks had a tougher schedule than the Raptors. It's always easier to take the side of the team that you support and there's nothing wrong with that, but don't try to inflate and distort the obvious truth just to try and prove your team is better somehow.

9. og15

og15 JBB *********

Consistently awful defense

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">"We came out and made a couple good shots, but I didn't see the intensity on the other end defensively," coach Lenny Wilkens said. "That's where it will catch you because you're not going to make shots all night long."

The Knicks know they're at their best when their defense serves as the catalyst for their transition game on offense. But even Wilkens subscribed to the notion that the Knicks' defensive letdown in Toronto was an aberration.

Asked if they play defense only in spurts, Wilkens said, "I thought a couple games we played real well defensively. If you mean by 'spurts' that we play good defense for three or four games and then lose it, well, that's all right. Hopefully, we're going to make it more consistent.

"If we're playing defense every other night, then you've got a real problem. But they're still learning one another. That's why I tell you, 'Don't get too excited. Don't get too down.' We have a ways to go, and we know it. But we'll get there."</div>

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition...ny-sports-print

10. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting 02civic:</div><div class="quote_post">they'll probably come up with a reason why their schedule has been harder. it'll probably include some BS about A. Houston...lol. Its obvious that the raps have had it tougher, but they dont listen.</div>
    Well it is true about Allan Houston. He is one of our key players not to mention our captain who had a career year not too long ago. Playing wiyhout your second option is always tougher. I don't know why that would be BS. If the Raptors didn't play with Rose for the whole year I'm sure the record wouldn't be worse than it is now. Even if you think the Raptors did have a tougher schedule than NYK (which I still don't think) playing with out your second option the player who stretches the floor is a major reason why the Knicks schedule was harder.

11. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting VinKanaddy:</div><div class="quote_post">At least the Mavs are rolling even if they do have hefty contracts. I'd think paying $14,609,375 for Michael Finley and $12,584,688 for Dirk Nowitzki is a pretty good deal, I'd take them on my team any time but not Allan Houston or Tim Thomas. No way. </div>
    And this is not irrelevant to the topic because...

12. VinKanaddy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">And this is not irrelevant to the topic because...</div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">We have good players now. Despite having bad contracts there are many teams like the Mavericks, and Yankees that are loaded with the Knicks problems as well. The Yankee thing was a matter of effort not because of money.</div>

Why is that irrelevant? You mentioned Mavs as having the same situation as the Knicks and I pointed out that at least the Mavs are winning and they are using their money on players like Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Finley.

13. Premium

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post"> Even if you think the Raptors did have a tougher schedule than NYK (which I still don't think) playing with out your second option the player who stretches the floor is a major reason why the Knicks schedule was harder.</div>

i just dont see how you can say that...

our first game was against houston, yours was against the t-wolves...advantage you

your next game was: celtics, ours was pistons

your next game was sixers, ours was blazers

your next game was the clippers...ours was the kings (AT arco no less)

your next game was the pacers...ours was the jazz

then you plaed the spurs, but we then played the sonics

how you can look at that and say that you've had a tougher schedule only proves that you're a totally biased knicks fan, incapable of putting together a reasonable opinion. the jazz were undefeated, the sonics are one of the best teams in the league right now, and most of our games have been on the road. so what about that makes it easier for us?

and you dont have houston playing, but you've got jamal crawford instead. hardly the same thing if jalen went down with an injury since we'd have lammond murray or mo pete playing instead. you've got jamal crawford...who could be a future all-star filling in...we'd have bench players filling in. either way...injuries are a part of the game, and they dont make your schedule any different

14. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

I did say that the Knicks schedule was tougher because Houston wasn't there. Maybe you should read the whole post before responding.

15. Premium

i did read the whole post

and you've still had an easier schedule. you've got crawford playing and you've played easier teams.

whatever...im done with you

16. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting dj_premium_plus:</div><div class="quote_post">i did read the whole post

and you've still had an easier schedule. you've got crawford playing and you've played easier teams.

whatever...im done with you</div>

Crawford is not as an effective weapon as Houston so the schedule was much harder than you would expect.

17. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">Crawford is not as an effective weapon as Houston so the schedule was much harder than you would expect.</div>

i personally would take crawford over houston, irrespective of houston's big contract and his bad knees. crawford can create off the dribble and houston can't, i really think houston has the worse contract in pro sports behind penny hardaway [​IMG]

18. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting deception:</div><div class="quote_post">i personally would take crawford over houston, irrespective of houston's big contract and his bad knees. crawford can create off the dribble and houston can't, i really think houston has the worse contract in pro sports behind penny hardaway [​IMG]</div>
    Again whether Houston's contract is outrageous or not Houston is a master of what he does. He doesn't need to create off the dribble to score. This is irrelevent to the topic. I do agree with you it is the worst in the league.

19. VinKanaddy

So when's your "master at what he does" Mr. Houston coming back? If he can come back by this Saturday when we play the Knicks it should be interesting since we get Marshall back too.

20. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Congratulations in getting Marshall back but unfortunately he's not playing tommorow but, hopefully the next time they play he will be in uniform. I hope these two meet in the playoffs. It will definitely be a great matchup.