Knicks Sign Jerome James

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by 44Thrilla, Jul 13, 2005.

1. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

2. legendisdope

legendisdope JBB JustBBall Member

I feel sorry for you Knicks fans.

3. Nylex

Nylex JBB JustBBall Member

I hear he's quite old too, why didn't they sign Hunter instead?

4. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Knicks may of overpaid but James will give them alot of toughness in the paint. Something they have lacked. James can clog the lane well which will help their D. It is a good signing but like everyone this summer he got overpaid. Still a wise move to get him though.

5. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

I like the signing of Jerome James. I would have preferred Hunter or Swift, but James is a good signing. Unlike in Seattle, due to our current situation upfront, James can log significant minutes. He?s an excellent shot blocker and is 5th in the league in blocks per 48 minutes. If we give him about 25 minutes a game, don?t be surprised if he averages about 2 blocks.

Offensively Jerome is decent, but with Crawford, Marbury, and Q around, the Knicks won?t need another scorer to put points on the board. Anyway, we signed him for size and shot blocking to jumpstart our defense. Also at 7-1, 270 pounds, he should be able to hold his own against the bigger centers in the league.

I?m a bit worried about what people say about him. Usually lazy, underachieving, and silly shenanigans are associated with his name and we already had all of those incidents last season distracting us from our main goal ? winning. He did show a lot of promise in the playoffs, but could it have been one of those contract years kind of thing?

Either way this was a great signing on our part. We now have a more than legit shot blocking center which was our main priority this summer. Though most of us would want a younger, more athletic center, at least we get a solid veteran to help us now. He is a bit overpaid, but who isn?t around this time?

6. Tribute to H2O

Tribute to H2O JBB JustBBall Rookie Of The Month

Wow. I like this signing. I didnt think the Knicks would be able to get him after his playoff performance. He can block shots, plays good defense and has an alright back to the basket game. He's overpaid but when your in bad shape like the Knicks you dont have a choice but to overpay to add talent. Besides he'll fit right in with the rest of our overpaid players. Sweetney will be able to play powerforward and we'll finally see what he can do when he's playing his natural position. I'm a little concerned about Sweetney's playing time though. Isiah might want to move Frye to the starting big forward position which would be lousy consideringSweetney is better than Frye and always will be. But it's still a good signing by the Knicks.

Anyway I think Isiah Thomas should be fired.

7. Henacy

Henacy JBB The Man like Sam

Well I think you have to look at Jerome James in the same light as you did Erick Dampier last offseason, when he play hard in Golden State in 03-04, after years of dissappointment in order to recieve the big contract, which Dallas gave him. Then he went back to pretty much being the same Dampier pre-contract season. Jerome James has been known to be a poor team infleuance and lazy, so you have to wonder was his play in the playoffs last year motivated by the opportunity for future earnings. If so then the old James should be showing up to Knicks camp in a few weeks. And New York and its fans just got jobbed again, with a large amount of money invested in garabage. But if not then the Knicks just found their answer to their problem at the 5 spot. So the jury is still out on whether this is a good deal for the Knicks, and the verdict wont be in until I say Febuary. By all-star break we should no what James is about here in NYC

8. legendisdope

legendisdope JBB JustBBall Member

He wont play like he did in that Sacremento series, you see he was garbage in the San Antonios series, hes very inconsistent and he always has a few good games, thats all.

Hes the type of guy to just go out there to play for a contract, thats why he was playin so hard against Sacremento, and also Sacremento told him to find a different profession so he probably took it personal and played hard.

9. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

He's 30 years old.........way to go Isiah.

The guy averaged 3.5 fouls per game in 80 starts, in 16 minutes per game

Steven Hunter was born in 81, and is more productive than James.

10. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

Wow, leave it to Isiaih to do this stuff, over pay another player. At least you guys got a player over 6'9".

11. VinKanaddy

VinKanaddy JBB JustBBall Member

You got a centre finally, but I still don't know what JJ would do given that his financial future is set until he pretty much readies himself for retirement at age 35. Channing Frye at least has some chance to develop under Aguirre but JJ? He's 30 years old and there isn't anything he hasn't shown us already.

12. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting legendisdope:</div><div class="quote_post">He wont play like he did in that Sacremento series, you see he was garbage in the San Antonios series, hes very inconsistent and he always has a few good games, thats all.</div>
    I don't think he was garbage in the San Antonio series. He was decent for the playing time he received. 8.5 points, 4.7 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in 22.3 minutes isn't garbage. I think considering he was playing against perhaps the best defensive team in the league, going head to head with Duncan on many occasions probably made him struggle as did many of San Antonio's opponents. Anyway, the Knicks solely need him for size and shot blocking ability. That's it. Anything else he can give us will be a plus.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Hes the type of guy to just go out there to play for a contract, thats why he was playin so hard against Sacremento, and also Sacremento told him to find a different profession so he probably took it personal and played hard.</div>
    Whatever the case might be, James is 7-1, 270 pounds, and a monster shot blocker. That's what the Knicks need and considering Seattle only plays him 16.6 minutes per game, I'm sure he can drastically improve while having the center position mostly to himself. The Knicks will need him to play at least 25 minutes a game and all we'll need him for is what he excels most in which happens to be defense. We'll have to see as Henacy said, but considering the situation that he'll be in, I'm sure he will make strides in New York.

13. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting j0se:</div><div class="quote_post">He's 30 years old.........way to go Isiah.</div>
    We can't complain - at least we get a veteran. There's nothing wrong with that.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The guy averaged 3.5 fouls per game in 80 starts, in 16 minutes per game</div>
    True, but you have to consider his time. James already knows that he will play 16 minutes a game so he leaves it all out on the floor and plays aggressive because of it. Most players who don't play many minutes have high fouls in their time.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Steven Hunter was born in 81, and is more productive than James.</div>
    Not really; in effiency, James is more productive, but who knows if we would have signed Hunter? What if we wait around and Hunter decides to go to another team? All of that waiting could have stopped us from signing a big man at all. Also James will help us offensively. He's got a decent offensive game and you need to take into consideration the picks and intangibles he will create.

14. og15

og15 JBB *********

Jerome James is a fouling machine. He has an okay back to the basket game, and is a good shot blocker, but he's not a great rebounder, though better than his last 2 seasons show because he's been playing with Reggie Evans who is a beast on the glass.

Anyways, decent signing, but way too much money for a 30 year old center who hasn't averaged more than 6 points or 5 rebounds once in his career, and has yet to play even 20 MPG.

15. Tribute to H2O

Tribute to H2O JBB JustBBall Rookie Of The Month

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">Jerome James is a fouling machine. He has an okay back to the basket game, and is a good shot blocker, but he's not a great rebounder, though better than his last 2 seasons show because he's been playing with Reggie Evans who is a beast on the glass.

Anyways, decent signing, but way too much money for a 30 year old center who hasn't averaged more than 6 points or 5 rebounds once in his career, and has yet to play even 20 MPG.</div>

When you put it that way it doesnt sound like such a good deal afterall. But his back to the basket game should be more effective in the Eastern Conference considering the lack of bigs and Sweetney will have the opportunity to dominate(at least on the offensive end)other powerforwards as well as cover up James' lackluster rebounding. Considering the need for size especially with Frye's less than stellar performance in the summer league and shot blocking it was as probably as good of a deal as the Knicks could get.

Anyway I think Isiah Thomas should be fired.

16. og15

og15 JBB *********

Yea, I guess it's good for the team, but you guys better hope you backups play well because Jerome James might not even be logging up to 20 MPG. He's a fouling machine which cuts down on his minutes, but in addition to that, his stamina is very poor, and after about 20 MPG he starts commiting stupid/lazy fouls because he's too tired and can't keep up with his man or rotate quickly enough on penetration.

17. Waneko

Waneko JBB JustBBall Member

What good is he is he can't even stay on the floor for 20 minutes? When he decides to play he can be good, but then he fouls too much. I don't think he makes them a much better team. A more balanced team? Yeah, because the opponent has to match up with his size, but they still don't have any low post scoring unless Mo Taylor gets a lot of minutes, but he doesn't seem to be in anybody's plans. Is Sweetney ready to assume this role yet? Don't know.

18. HASAN33

HASAN33 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting legendisdope:</div><div class="quote_post">He wont play like he did in that Sacremento series, you see he was garbage in the San Antonios series, hes very inconsistent and he always has a few good games, thats all.

Hes the type of guy to just go out there to play for a contract, thats why he was playin so hard against Sacremento, and also Sacremento told him to find a different profession so he probably took it personal and played hard.</div>

Co-sign

James is a bum. James was going up against a 6-9 injured Brad Miller and Beg Ostertag (thats right beg not greg) and he avg 17 pts a game. In the SA series, he returned to being the bum that he is. MOhammed and TD put the smack down. Its ironic that he wore a trash bag at the end of the Kings games because James is trash. So it was quite fitting. At least you got him for 5 mil/yr which is not bad considering Adonal Foyle is just as productive as James and he is making 3 mil more than James. All I have to say for you Knicks fans is stop being biased. If James were signed by another team, you would be saying is a bum also. Listen Isiah destroyed the Raptors and the CBA. Now he is on his way to destroying the Knicks. By the way I thought you drafted Channing Frye to be your problem solver in the middle. See you guys in the lotto next year, AGAIN.

19. Trueplaya4real

Trueplaya4real JBB JustBBall Member

Ya people so negative man. At least the Knicks add it on a piece they could use. What ya wanna see Channing Frye get dunked on in his first game. The thing is that James is a big body and the Knicks need some bigs.

**** hes about to turn 30 but so wat, Jordan delivered for the Wizards at 40!!!!!!. The Knicks are gonna kick ass next season and when they do ya gonna wish ya never talked about Jerome like that.

20. HASAN33

HASAN33 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trueplaya4real:</div><div class="quote_post">Ya people so negative man. At least the Knicks add it on a piece they could use. What ya wanna see Channing Frye get dunked on in his first game. The thing is that James is a big body and the Knicks need some bigs.

**** hes about to turn 30 but so wat, Jordan delivered for the Wizards at 40!!!!!!. The Knicks are gonna kick ass next season and when they do ya gonna wish ya never talked about Jerome like that.</div>

i know you just didnt use jerome james and michael jordan in the same sentence [​IMG]

Houston We have a problem.