Knicks Sign Jerome James

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by 44Thrilla, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting j0se:</div><div class="quote_post">Who didnt have it easy in Phoneix?

Ranks #2 in the NBA in Blocks Per 48 Minutes(4.68)

that was the 04 - 05 season

Who are you calling an undersized PF? Marion or Amare? if Amare, he's 6"10, if Marion, he plays like he's 6"11, Marion has the quickest jump in the NBA, 6"7 210 guy averaging 9 rebounds consistantly each year is stellar.

Anyway, the point is, Isiah sucks, Hunter should of been the main target, theres no excuse to signing a back up caliber 30 year old center to a 5 year contract.</div>
    I was talking about Marion as the undersized PF, Amare is strong enough, tall enough and quick enough to play PF anyday.

Well Jerome James ranks #5 in Blocks per 48 minutes... So its pretty even in that statistic. Blocks per 48 minutes isn't that useful, Shawn Bradley is 9th woo! Adonal Foyle is 4th. It doesn't seem to be useful for pointing out a good center.

Marion usually has his hands full boxing out Western PFs that are considerably bigger than him like Tim Duncan, Pau Gasol, KG, Elton Brand(outweighs him), Nene, Dirk, etc.

2. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

You're a raptors fan....you're happy we got James, being it as it was a bad move, lol

3. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">I disagree, if he could play consistently the Sonics would definitely have used him more. They had to rely on Danny Fortson, Reggie Evans, and Nick Collison, because they couldn't count on Jerom James staying on the court long enough. The Sonics have an undersized team just like the Knicks.</div>
    I see what you're saying, but the Knicks have players like Sweetney, Lee, Malik and JYD who they could rely on just like the Sonics. They also will have Frye playing some minutes too and he's a decent shot blocker. While James might not be always dependable, he definitely is a major upgrade for us.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Adding size is fine, but there were and still are better options. Let's keep in mind, the Knicks have two expiring contracts that are valuable. They also have three 1st round picks next year (I believe). Why rush into signing James, when you have all that to offer a team?</div>
    They only have one next year and if they don't make the playoffs, they'll have two. I know they could use one of those huge expiring contracts, but I'd rather wait until the trade deadline where anything can happen.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting legendisdope:</div><div class="quote_post">Knicks shoulda just went with Steven Hunter..Hes younger, cheaper, wouldve been the big you need to clog the lane up. Hes also more mobile than Jerome James.</div>
    What will happen if Hunter decided to go somewhere else? Of all places, why would he decide to go to the Knicks when he can go to another team and make much more money in another place? Same thing applies for Stromile Swift. If both of them wound up somewhere else, what would we do? James could have been gone by then. The Knicks basically locked up a player and did the safe thing.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">O yeah..Jeromes offense isnt as bad as you guys think, he can post up alot..But if you want him to average 10 pts per game your going to have to run pick and rolls like Luke did for JJ in the Sacremento series. I still dont see Jerome playing more than 20 minutes per game, he commits a lot of retarded fouls.</div>
    I don?t care too much about his offense. We don?t need him to score at all; just play defense. I think many of his fouls have to do with him knowing his playing time. If he knew he was playing a certain amount of minutes, he probably thought about just being reckless because of his time. Let?s also remember that James won?t have to play the KG?s or the Duncan?s on a regular basis, too. Even if he does play 20 minutes a game, it will greatly help the Knicks out believe it or not. While James is on the bench, Frye can step in for the rest of those minutes and maybe a little bit of Jackie Butler next season.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">And his defense is ok..not spectacular or above average..He blocks shots every now and then, but its not like he does it on a game by game basis like your average shot blocker.</div>
    I think his defense is better than ok. Even if it was just ok, the Knicks are such a terrible defensive team that an ok defender will make a difference. In terms of shot blocking, I believe you should give James more credit. In terms of blocking shots, every now and then doesn?t describe someone who ranks 5th in the league in blocks per 48 minutes.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting VinKanaddy:</div><div class="quote_post">If Isiah only signed him for the present, how does it make sense to give <u>Jerome James</u> a 5-year deal paying him $6~7 million a season? I don't know man.. as per Tribute to H20, ?Anyway, I think Isiah Thomas should be fired."</div>
    James won?t be getting 6-7 million a season. It?s a 29 million dollar deal that starts at 5 million and stays around there with a possible 6 in it?s final year or so. It?s highly unlikely he?ll get 7 million in one year.

--

I don?t see what the problem is. Even if we could?ve gotten better, we are much better than we were with the acquisition of Jerome James. No one can dispute that point; in fact, RealGM called us the best team in the Atlantic with this move. All we can do is wait and see how the signing turns out.

4. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

It's pretty simple. The main problem is with how much Isiah gave James. If Jerome James plays like he did in the playoffs, this is gonna be a great signing. But if he plays like he has the rest of his career, that's just one more headache Isiah's created for himself.

5. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

wow, talk about being OVERPAID!

6. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting R_ChutneY:</div><div class="quote_post">It's pretty simple. The main problem is with how much Isiah gave James. .</div>
    Is that really a problem???? Money a problem for NY???

I think for the Knicks being over the cap doesn't seem to be an issue for them... They sort of accept the fact that they will be perpetually over the cap.

7. Tribute to H2O

Tribute to H2O JBB JustBBall Rookie Of The Month

I have a question. I'm not too familiar with Jerome James but I understand that he suffered a potentially career ending injury. Could that be the reason why his minutes were so limited up until last year's playoffs?

Anyway I think Isiah Thomas should be fired.

8. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

I don't recall anything happenening to him. Perhaps one of the Sonic diehards would be able to answer that for you.

9. legendisdope

legendisdope JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tribute to H2O:</div><div class="quote_post">I have a question. I'm not too familiar with Jerome James but I understand that he suffered a potentially career ending injury. Could that be the reason why his minutes were so limited up until last year's playoffs?

Anyway I think Isiah Thomas should be fired.</div>
    Yeah he was injured when he was playing for Sacremento, I heard his injury was so bad Sacremento told him to find another profession cause he couldnt play basketball.

I forgot what the injury was, but it mustve been a serious one..Because JJ took like 2 years off the NBA to go play somewhere else.

I think JJ always had the potential to play like he did in the Sacremento series, he just doesnt show his potential and doesnt play up to it, hes just lazy probably.

10. VinKanaddy

VinKanaddy JBB JustBBall Member

The Samuel Dalembert deal makes the Jerome James deal seem like a kid's first step. $75 million for an average starting centre desrves an "Are you kidding me?" At least SD can play and is still young.. but you will be kicking yourselves when Jerome James is 35 years old and get $6 million not to play.

11. Platehpus

Platehpus JBB JustBBall Member

MrJ, you're one of my favorite posters, and I like you personally but....sometimes your homerism gets in the way. This was a bad signing and further buries us into the ground, plain and simple.

12. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Platehpus:</div><div class="quote_post">MrJ, you're one of my favorite posters, and I like you personally but....sometimes your homerism gets in the way. This was a bad signing and further buries us into the ground, plain and simple.</div>

[​IMG] Hmm.... lol j/k. [​IMG]

13. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

MrJ is just trying his best to stay optimistic about the situation. He is right about one thing, this is an improvement for next year in their frontline. However, the Knicks will regret signing him to such a long contract, because of his age.

There's nothing wrong with at least giving it a chance, if the Knicks end up with Jerome James of the Sacramento series for the next 3 or 4 seasons, this deal looks like a steal.

I did not watch much of Jerome James during the season, but from what I did see, he plays a lot better on defense when he gets touches early in the game. Scoring translates into defensive energy for this guy, so the Knicks should find ways to get him easy baskets early on to keep interested on defense.

14. VinKanaddy

VinKanaddy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">MrJ is just trying his best to stay optimistic about the situation. He is right about one thing, this is an improvement for next year in their frontline. However, the Knicks will regret signing him to such a long contract, because of his age. </div>

My sentiment exactly.

15. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Platehpus:</div><div class="quote_post">MrJ, you're one of my favorite posters, and I like you personally but....sometimes your homerism gets in the way. This was a bad signing and further buries us into the ground, plain and simple.</div>
    I don't think my homerism is kicking in right now; although it has kicked in many times in the past. I don't think it was such a bad signing because in terms of cap room, the Knicks have none and were never close to getting any, either. If Jerome James turns into the same one in the Sacramento series, than it will be an excellent signing. The only question is: will he be able to do that? He deserves a chance and until he shows us in the regular season, we shouldn't criticize the signing yet.

16. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tribute to H2O:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Anyway I think Isiah Thomas should be fired.</div>

Please don't, it's moves like this that give me a big laugh in the wake of Mr Sonic departing Seattle after a quarter of a century there.

I'm not sure what's funnier - the fact that you're paying him around six mill a year, or the fact you've got him for five years! [​IMG]

17. Squishface

Squishface JBB Ministering Fools

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">Not really; in effiency, James is more productive, but who knows if we would have signed Hunter? What if we wait around and Hunter decides to go to another team? All of that waiting could have stopped us from signing a big man at all. Also James will help us offensively. He's got a decent offensive game and you need to take into consideration the picks and intangibles he will create.</div>

There's really no debating that Hunter would have been a better signing and Swift better still, as you stated yourself, but nevertheless, I'm actually a little surprised at the initiative the Knicks took this time. I think this signing is actually a solid one. Not great, but nevertheless, there are some overwhelming positives here. Mostly, a guy who can log good minutes and stop some shots. The most important thing in this deal is defense, boardwork, and clogging the lane. If he can get his passing act together, even better.

At the very least, he will block shots, one and a half to two a game, and there aren't many center on the market who can provide that. Overpaid? Yeah, but who on the Knicks isn't? (Aside: forgive me the small anti-Knicks transgression.)

Isiah went out and got his man. With the combination drafting of a good point guard to complement a strong shooting game, to go with the signing of a solid defensive center, you've got yourself a markedly better offseason.

41 to 42 wins will be something to shoot for, because despite the bleatings of Knicks fans, they are in a stronger conference than they think, and although it sounds petty, there is almost always something that throws a Knicks team for a loop and has them lose more than they should. Good examples go all the way back to the last time they were in the finals against the Spurs. That season itself was a good example. They had a subpar year, scraped into the playoffs and then made themselves a worthy foe with everyone back and healthy in time for the postseason. The stars aligned right at the last week of the season, they scraped in as a #8, and made a huge impression. Ever since, we've seen something of the same story, last year was no exception. Injuries ravage the lineup, guys played roles that were bigger than their abilities and they end up out in the cold for the second year in a row.

Will they make the playoffs? Probably not, a slim bench has them losing again. But will Jerome James make them more formidable than they were? Absolutely. And here's to hoping common public opinion is wrong, and he can prove himself to be a harder worker than he has, because he still has to prove he can handle significant minutes for a whole season. Lazy won't do, but if there's anyone who knows about lazy big men, Herb Williams does. Too bad Laimbeer ousted himself from contention for that job, he'd be the perfect guy to tell James all about that role.

Again, with the slights, I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean to make this a mean article. I still think James has a lot to prove to us, but it's not great leap of faith to think he can handle it. And at least he's tougher than Frye.

(There I go again.)

18. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Sir Desmond:</div><div class="quote_post">Please don't, it's moves like this that give me a big laugh in the wake of Mr Sonic departing Seattle after a quarter of a century there.

I'm not sure what's funnier - the fact that you're paying him around six mill a year, or the fact you've got him for five years! [​IMG]</div>
    If he plays to his full potential like he did in the Sonics/Kings series, I assure you it won't be as funny.

19. Squishface

Squishface JBB Ministering Fools

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">If he plays to his full potential like he did in the Sonics/Kings series, I assure you it won't be as funny.</div>

But let's be realistic about that, he played one good series in his entire career, and now we expect big things?

The man is thirty years old, and has played to his potential one time, against a weak interior, I think that warrants mentioning. He is a good pickup, but only because he's fills a truly GAPING void. Not because he will be special, or maybe even notable. I don't think the whole deal is funny, but I don't think he's going to make anyone miss him in Seattle.

20. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">If he plays to his full potential like he did in the Sonics/Kings series, I assure you it won't be as funny.</div>

Well if he does that for long enough to justify a five year deal then I'll leave this site for good.