Knicks Sign Jerome James

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by 44Thrilla, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting tradebark:</div><div class="quote_post">the foul issue is directly related to his rebounding, actually. Ditto the blocks.

He's not a smart enough player to stay on the court more than those 15 minutes. That's why those per 48 numbers are completely worthless when discussing him. It's like saying Danny Fortson would be our best PF if he got enough playing time.. Which may in fact be true, but reality has to enter the picture at some point.</div>
    You said he's a bad rebounder and I'm saying considering the time he gets, he's a decent rebounder. In terms of rebounds per game, he isn't a good rebounder because he gets 15 minutes a game. Dan Gadzuric is a good shot blocker despite the fact he only averages 1.3 blocks a game, right?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">You guys just paid a perennial failure $28M for peaking at the end of his contract.. I really cant say much more than that.</div>
    The Knicks were so weak upfront that a perennial failure would be very useful.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">And "cop out"?? come on, that has to be the most pathetic troll attempt ever. I've nailed practically every facet of the game worth mentioning for him. I can't think of anything at all that he does well. Good FG%? Good FT%? Uh.. Maybe you should fill in the blanks for me?</div>
    It wasn?t a troll attempt at all; it was you saying James is bad at everything and I can go on and on but you don?t. I want to know all the bad things about his game and if their so bad that you can go on for so long, I would just like to know a bit more.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">You're debating 8 of his games vs 300 of his games, and you honestly think it matters more..? Oh well, good luck to you guys next season. I really cant say much more than that.</div>
    But in those 300 games, James was underachieving and he knew it, too. He said he didn?t try hard, but in these 8 games, it seems like he turned into a different person and is willing to try hard. Now it is possible James could be pulling off an Erick Dampier, and I do see where you?re coming from, however, I do trust James? final 8 games and while risky, I think it will pay off. The only way we?re going to see what happens is in a few months when the regular season begins. That will tell us whether it was a bad signing or not.

2. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Ok, let?s look back at previous years then:

01-02: 11.64 per 48 minutes
    02-03: 13.44 per 48 minutes
    03-04: 11.05 per 48 minutes

That?s not too bad and considering his rebounding per 48 minutes in some years beat out the likes of Jermaine O?Neal, Elton Brand, Shawn Marion, Dirk Nowitzki, Zydrunaus and Ilgauskas, I don?t think he?s as terrible a rebounder as you say he is. Additionally, playing in the ?Leastern Conference? should make it easier for him. He also has Mike Sweetney, David Lee, Malik Rose and Jerome Williams in the frontcourt snatching rebounds, too. That should make his job much easier.</div>
    If Jermaine O'Neal, Elton Brand, Shawn Marion, Big Z, or Dirk were to play 15 minutes per game, they wouldn't have to reserve their energy for the 40 minutes they usually play and would average 30-60% more boards per 48 minutes than they currently acquire. So rp48min is difficult to use, when it comes to players that only play 15 mpg.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">Zydrunaus and Ilgauskas </div>
    I think both Zydrunaus and Ilgauskas are better Rebounders than Jerome James. [​IMG] [​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">I never mentioned anything about his blocks. He's a decent rebounder regardless of how much of a hack he is. Fouling has nothing to do with how much of a rebounder he is.</div>
    Fouling doesn't relate to rebounding stats too much, but it relates a lot to fouls. In order for Jerome James to have an impact he needs to try to block a lot of shots, but when he does he gets into foul trouble.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">Well he did give Brad Miller a very tough time and his 2.2 blocks didn't make him almost a non-factor. The fact of the matter is the Knicks can use any defense they can get and playing against the likes of the Eastern Conference frontcourts shouldn't make it too bad. And he will be better defensively if we get Larry Brown.</div>
    Brad Miller wasn't himself, he was hampered from a broken leg that was still being rehabbed and he forced himself to play for the sake of playoffs

I agree that signing Jerome James was a good move by Isiah, who had few options, and took the best big man he could. I think if Jerome James puts for a decent effort and plays 20-25 mpg, then it would seriously help NY, where they need help most.