Kobe Bryant vs the Warriors

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Legacy, Mar 25, 2007.

1. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Go ahead and wish, hope, pray for the Warriors to pull it out, sure, but I just don't think you're being realistic. Tonight's loss puts them 1.5 games out of the #8 spot, and tied with NO/OKC, who won tonight. That's bad enough as it is, but let's look at the remaining games:

Spurs L
    Suns L
    Grizzlies W
    at Rockets L
    at Grizzlies ?
    at Spurs L
    Jazz ?
    at Kings W
    Twolves W
    Mavs ?
    at Blazers W

By my estimate, that's 4-4 with an additional 3 games that could go either way. Let's optimistically say they win 2 of those 3, making their remaining record 6-5. Do you honestly think that's going to be enough to not only make up 1.5 games vs. the Clips, but also hold off the Hornets? Sorry, I don't. Even if they steal a few of those I have as losses, it's an uphill battle. No, they're not mathematically out of it but man it's looking grim.

I'm sick of watching this team lose games they're in and have a good shot at winning, like tonight's game. The vast majority of the time they just can't get it done down the stretch. I don't care if L.A. has a better record, this was a game they had to win, had a chance to win, and just flat out BLEW IT.

2. oaktank88

oaktank88 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">HiRez Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Go ahead and wish, hope, pray for the Warriors to pull it out, sure, but I just don't think you're being realistic. Tonight's loss puts them 1.5 games out of the #8 spot, and tied with NO/OKC, who won tonight. That's bad enough as it is, but let's look at the remaining games:

Spurs L
    Suns L
    Grizzlies W
    at Rockets L
    at Grizzlies ?
    at Spurs L
    Jazz ?
    at Kings W
    Twolves W
    Mavs ?
    at Blazers W

By my estimate, that's 4-4 with an additional 3 games that could go either way. Let's optimistically say they win 2 of those 3, making their remaining record 6-5. Do you honestly think that's going to be enough to not only make up 1.5 games vs. the Clips, but also hold off the Hornets? Sorry, I don't. Even if they steal a few of those I have as losses, it's an uphill battle. No, they're not mathematically out of it but man it's looking grim.

I'm sick of watching this team lose games they're in and have a good shot at winning, like tonight's game. The vast majority of the time they just can't get it done down the stretch. I don't care if L.A. has a better record, this was a game they had to win, had a chance to win, and just flat out BLEW IT.</div>

my thoughts exactly.

3. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

BTW, NO is .5 behind us...

I dont have time for this right now, but tomorrow I will give a conservative synopsis of all 3 teams schedules for here on out. So far my predictions are dead on with all of them being right. Let me look at each teams schedule and make some predictions...

4. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">oaktank88 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">and nellie needs to play powell and foyle more. we NEED those rebounds.</div>

Nelson was in a tough spot. You want Baron and Jason in to close games out because those are the two most reliable scorers (even on a cold night like today) and they needed points. Maybe Jason could have come out, since Monta was doing so well. But also on the same token you don't want to take out Harrington, or Jackson since they are the main scorers and Biedrins is the main piece. The one thing that I think might have hurt the Warriors which may go against Nelson is that he did take out Biedrins, though for good reason to put in 5 three point shooters. Baron made the three and then Kobe went to the free throw line. I suppose that would have been the right time to put Biedrins or whomever to help get the rebound. But then again, I didn't see where that rebound went, since I wasn't watching the game, so maybe that didn't matter too much. I just know it went to Odom, which was probably Harrington's assignment.

5. oaktank88

<div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Nelson was in a tough spot. You want Baron and Jason in to close games out because those are the two most reliable scorers (even on a cold night like today) and they needed points. Maybe Jason could have come out, since Monta was doing so well. But also on the same token you don't want to take out Harrington, or Jackson since they are the main scorers and Biedrins is the main piece. The one thing that I think might have hurt the Warriors which may go against Nelson is that he did take out Biedrins, though for good reason to put in 5 three point shooters. Baron made the three and then Kobe went to the free throw line. I suppose that would have been the right time to put Biedrins or whomever to help get the rebound. But then again, I didn't see where that rebound went, since I wasn't watching the game, so maybe that didn't matter too much. I just know it went to Odom, which was probably Harrington's assignment.</div>

i didnt mean at the end of the game, i had no problem with the lineup we had out there at the end, i meant during the game. powell played 2 minutes and foyle 1. they both got a rebound each. these two should be out there at least 8-10 minutes a game to control the punishment we receive on the boards, cause nobody else on this team besides biedrins will box out for rebounds.

6. Warriorfansnc93

The Hornets are 32-38 right now and here is their schedule with my conservative predictions

Dallas L
    @SAS L
    NY W
    @ MIL W
    SEA W
    PHX L
    @MIN W
    LAC W
    DEN L
    @HOU L
    @SAC W
    @LAC L

End of season record 38-44

7. oaktank88

<div class="quote_poster">Warriorfansnc93 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The Hornets are 32-38 right now and here is their schedule with my conservative predictions

Dallas L
    @SAS L
    NY W
    @ MIL W
    SEA W
    PHX L
    @MIN W
    LAC W
    DEN L
    @HOU L
    @SAC W
    @LAC L

End of season record 38-44</div>

that's exactly how i would go with that one as well. here's mine for the clips:

Hou L
    @Sac W
    @Port W
    LAL L
    Den W
    @Dal L
    @NO L
    @LAL L
    Port W
    Sac W
    Pho L
    NO W

this puts them at 40-42. the denver game is debatable, but the clips match up very well against them. i'd say they have this thing just about wrapped up. there is no way we finish the season 7-4 against the quality of competition we're facing.

8. Warriorfansnc93

The Clippers are 34-36 right now and here is their remaining schedule with my conservative predictions...

HOU L
    @SAC W
    @POR W
    LAL L
    DEN L
    @DAL L
    @NO L
    @LAL L
    POR W
    SAC W
    @PHX L
    NO W

I think they could win one of those games against the Lakers, but its not like they have a great home advantage since they are both in So cal, so I chalked up both as losses. That would leave them at 39-43. That is 1 game more than I predicted us to have conservatively. Now it all boils down to pressure and who comes together. NO is playing great right now by taking out the rockets, suns etc, and the clips have won 5 straight or something like that. All 3 teams are playing the best basketball of the season so it should be a hell of a race. But if you look at the Clippers, if they really do lose 4 or 5 straight like I predict they could, that could dessimate them and cause some chemistry problems....

9. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">oaktank88 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">there is no way we finish the season 7-4 against the quality of competition we're facing.</div>

Who would have thought we would have gone 13-6 back when we acquired Baron Davis? Anything is possible with this team. Who would have thought we would have ended Dallas' win streak, of all teams? No WAY! How about held Kobe to under 45pts? The Warriors? NO WAY! They suck defensively, etc etc...

10. oaktank88

this is the way i see GSW finishing out the season:

SA L
    Pho L
    Mem W
    @ Hou L
    @ Mem W
    @ SA L
    Utah L
    @ Sac W
    Min W
    Dal L
    @ Port W

This puts us at 38-44, and we may be able to steal one from either the suns, mavs, jazz, or spurs, though the clips are just as likely to steal one from an elite team as well. they are really coming together right now. they play as a team, we just try to score score and score. if our shots arent going in, we suck. i just don't see us realistically making the playoffs this year, we lost too many games we should have won. i think the wizards game is going to come back to haunt us.

11. Warriorfansnc93

If I am allowed to, here is how I would modify my predictions for right now based off how well we are playing...

SA W
    Pho L
    or vise versa
    Mem W
    @ Hou L
    @ Mem W
    @ SA L
    Utah W
    @ Sac W
    Min W
    Dal L
    @ Port W

That would be 40-42. I feel good about playing the Spurs and Rockets right now for some reason. If we can win against those teams too that would put us above .500

12. oaktank88

<div class="quote_poster">Warriorfansnc93 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">

SA W
    Pho L
    or vise versa
    </div>

those are the games where i think we can pull out a win too, there is no limit to what we can do at home when the fans are feeding us crazy amounts of energy.

13. Warriorfansnc93

Yeah, we really pulled one out over both of those. But remember that block on TD that Beans had! We need another game like that from him. The good thing is this team is completely different than when we played these guys at home. Its even possible we may blow these teams out like we had been doing at home recently...

14. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Man... it's just the same old story with the warriors, isn't it? Can't say I'm surprised, but what a heartbreaker. They kept it so close too.

My prediction is the same as before the season. We miss the playoffs and we wind up with a late lottery pick.

15. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

Anyone notice that for the entire first quarter and to close to mid way in the second Kobe did not pass the ball once. Not once. No teammate touched the ball once it was in the selfish ones hands. It was incredible. HE shot it every time he touched it. 30+ ft away or quadruple teamed.

I was watching the game with a couple of generations of die hard laker fans. The father, in his 60's has watched and rooted fanatically since they arrived in Cali, and the son grew up just as die hard.

The only LAker they have ever hated is Kobe. AS we watched the game they, just as incredulous as i, watched as he never passed the ball at all, yes he made some shots, some incredible,but this is a team sport.

AS they both felt had Kobe moved on and they retained Shaq that the Lakers would most likely have another ring.

A disscussion ensued of Michael Vs Kobe. And the consensus is that Michael played when the league was rough. Remember the Jordon rules. How Detroit, Boston etc would just send his ass too the floor. There was no hand check rule, there was no suspensions for hard fouls, hell Baron hit no one and got suspended, It is just a softer league today and it makes for easier scoring.

Jordan did his scoring when the league was rough. Getting down the lane you could be taking your life in your own hands. Jordan got his share of Phantom calls to be sure, but the thought is Kobe would still be a great player in this league, but these 50 point games and the 80 would never have happened.

16. MJordan

MJordan JBB JustBBall Member

Why do people discredit every other teammate when their is a prominent star on the team.

Kobe vs. GSW

Kobe would have lost if he played this game all by himself.

Kobe and the Lakers vs GSW.

17. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    <div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Man... it's just the same old story with the warriors, isn't it? Can't say I'm surprised, but what a heartbreaker. They kept it so close too.

My prediction is the same as before the season. We miss the playoffs and we wind up with a late lottery pick.</div>

You're stealing my 38 win prediction!

18. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">23MJordan23 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Why do people discredit every other teammate when their is a prominent star on the team.

Kobe vs. GSW

Kobe would have lost if he played this game all by himself.

Kobe and the Lakers vs GSW.</div>

I think the television/media people started that whole thing. If the Lakers play the Heat it is Kobe vs. Dwayne Wade (if Shaq is injured), or Wizards vs. Cavaliers is Glibert Arenas vs. LeBron James.

I think this game thread took into account that Kobe has been shooting 30+ shots over the last few games and that it's been mostly Kobe's show recently.

Also people here like to make original game thread titles, especially recently; and Kobe vs. the Warriors is shorter than Kobe and the Lakers vs. the Warriors.

But yeah I understand where you are coming from. At some points it bugs me when it's all the TV people talk about like ESPN or TNT or ABC or what have you. As Warriors fans I guess we like the role guys a little more than others like Brian Cardinal, Earl Boykins and whomever.