LA really isn't that special

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, Jul 5, 2015.

1. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I think between Davis, Aminu, Leonard and Plumlee its going to be an exciting brand of basketball even if we don't win. Hell even Henderson plays with some fire in his belly.

2. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Have faith. We will win some games by out running and hustling. Something we have forgotten about because we haven't seen it done by this team other than Wes in years really.

3. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Franchise "survival" is a pretty low bar, though. ;) The franchise will be significantly worse without Aldridge. They have to start over. Losing Randolph for nothing was damaging, but it seemed okay at the time because they had what seemed like a bright future with Oden, Roy and Aldridge. This time around, they don't have any prospects near that level. I think Vonleh is interesting, but he's nothing approaching a blue chip prospect.

4. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

While Vonleh is quite possibly a year or two away from prime time, I'm confused what your definition of blue chip prospect is. By many accounts, you could argue he is one, or at least close to "approaching".

Sinobas likes this.
  5. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

[​IMG]

6. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

I think Vonleh could be our SF of the future. Good shot and handles. Check him out, you can see hit's a smooth athlete on the perimeter.

7. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

This is inevitable. I agree it will be interesting how LMA reacts. It has the potential to destroy the spurs season.

There is a chance that LMArespects Pop enough, that he just might solidify his game.

8. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    I like Vonleh, but I don't think many people think he has star upside. Which, I guess, could be said about Roy, looking back. In retrospect, he became a blue chip player, and maybe someone in this bunch will surprise. But Oden was one of the best prospects in recent history and Aldridge was considered to have star upside.

Though, really, whether we should have as much optimism about this team as we did about the Oden/Aldridge/Roy group is a bit beside my point. What I was really pointing out is that Aldridge "only" being roughly as good as Randolph doesn't really mitigate the loss. Aldridge was the foundational player for a dark horse contender last year and Randolph has been a foundational player (along with Gasol) for some very good Memphis teams.

9. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

Vonleh was a top-3 or 4 pick last year according to most. Some say he is all-star to borderline all-star potential, a Chris Bosh type. That may not be a blue-chip prospect, but I'd argue that's, at a minimum, approaching blue chip status.

10. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

It is going to be interesting for sure to see him in the SA offense. I bet they sold him on their system and how they would get him easier shots within the offense. Can you think of any other team in the league that plays better team ball? He will thrive in it.

But in our system (and most other team's) I think he would be best as the 2nd or 3rd option. Was that going to happen?

11. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    The Warriors (well, the two teams are about equal in terms of team ball). But yes, Aldridge's skillset will work quite nicely in San Antonio, especially if he hones his three-point shot.

12. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I thought about the Warriors but I discounted them based on the individual play by Steph. Not saying it is not effective..... it is probably more effective, but none the less they rely a lot more on him then the Spurs do on any one player.

13. SpamKing

SpamKing "Moisten needle before inserting"

Have Fun will Travel
    After about age 25, we are who we are. aldridge may sublimate himself for 20 games or so, but the primadonna will return. And for $6mil/year, you aren't going to see much regular season Duncan. That should have some interesting effects on the aldridge/Spurs dynamic . . .

14. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Blue chip prospect? You know we Didn't even play Oden his rookie year right? Nate's theory would hold true because anyone would be valued more than what we got from Oden.

15. Tunchi

Tunchi Well-Known Member

I want to believe you but why would an organization just dump him for Batum that's pretty much reached his ceiling? Remember T Rob? He got delt after one season and he was a number 5 pick.

My point is their has to be a reason why a team gave up on him so fast.

16. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Their GM isn't as good as ours, and they're in a win-now (i.e., make the playoffs) mentality with little patience for rookies/young guys.

17. Tunchi

Tunchi Well-Known Member

I feel you on their Gm but shit that's what everybody said about the Kings organization when they dumped TRob..

I'm not getting my hopes up on him theirs def going to be a catch why we got him for pretty much nothing

18. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Kings were in a win now mode. Their GM just sucked.

BlazerCaravan likes this.
  19. Tunchi

Tunchi Well-Known Member

I'm just saying their has to be a catch

20. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

It's kinda like when your girlfriend dumps you so you run telling everyone she really wasn't that pretty and you were going to break up with her anyways.

Bottom line is LMA is one of the top players at his position. It will be difficult to replace him.