Laf scratched for Tampa game

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by mrmel29, Dec 29, 2022.

1. NYR Fan

NYR Fan Well-Known Member

Over the prior 11 seasons we have made 3 ECF's, and an SCF. So 4 of 11 years ECF at least. That is a solid run. Not amazing or one that closes the case period end of story (cannot do that without a cup), but it has been a solid 11 years for the Rangers I think.

Like I wrote, I do think it is a good open discussion that one could go either way on. With that said I am not sure you can compare the Rangers to most of the other teams "growing young forwards" though, given the results of the past 11 years, the fact we never just bottomed out to a disaster and finished bottom 3, and the fact that in NYC top vets want to play here, that's just reality. And you also have to acknowledge, how many of these teams that are "growing young forwards" are perpetually in rebuild mode? Not sure I'd want that.

Just something to be mindful of. This isn't no-brainer either way IMO.

2. NYR Fan

NYR Fan Well-Known Member

The point isn't deal Chytil or don't deal Chytil, the point is he is not a C IMO, and most importantly with him as the anchor on the 3rd line we'll never have the type of 3rd line I think fits best for a SC winner with 2 scoring finesse lines like we have in lines 1 and 2. We'll always have a finesse based, East-West, pass first 3rd line, and I am not sure that is the best way to balance the team given the makeup of lines 1 and 2.

I think Drury can do a much better job of finding balance, and having a 3rd line that is more physical and North-South would go a long way for this team I think.

3. PorterPanzer

PorterPanzer Active Member

The only thing the Rangers are guilty of is bending over backwards to allow Laf to develop with little pressure to perform, years later GG is finally holding him accountable. I have preached the need for the Rangers to get grittier for decades and last year after abruptly firing the front office and coaching staff Drury came on to change the philosophical direction of the team much to my delight. GG crushes it first year going to the ECF with a 2-0 lead but now the guys who were dead wrong last year about this team's ability are trying to water down GG's success by lumping in past seasons of failure to his brilliant start. In GG's first year several Rangers had career seasons while making an epic run but all that is irrelevant because of a lazy prospect, we should watch the Debs instead!

4. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

I saw Vancouver was interested in him, as his agent works for them now or something. Maybe they could do Horvat and a 1st for him.

5. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Please. Horvat is a rental and you're not giving up Lafreniere for a shitty first. I heard when I was at the garden that Gallant will be long gone before Lafreniere is.