Lakers 113, Magic 110

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by TMac_OwNz, Mar 15, 2004.

1. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting sportsrock37:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm so pissed off. I'm so tired now, I shouldn't have stayed up to watch it. In the 4th, all Kobe was doing on Tmac was fouling him, and then Tmac got his 5th foul on a cheap foul. Yes, Malone got fouled, but he woulda only made 1 of 2(he sucked on the line) and then you call Tmac's foul and he woulda made at least 2 of 3 to win the game. Oh well great game Magic. I gotta give Kobe his props, he played good. I just wish Stevenson and Tmac would have fouled Kobe as much as he fouled Tmac down the stretch. Oh well. We're 19-50 something(lost track of losses, lol), we're not going to get any calls.</div>

Well, the problem with your theory is that T-mac would've had his 6th foul on that Malone drive, therefore he wouldn't have been on the floor to get fouled on the last play...

2. DirtySouth

DirtySouth JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Ice Breaker:</div><div class="quote_post">There were some missed calls down the stretch, but by no means do we deserve this win. Orlando was up by 19 points at one point, and they still let LA come back. And having a record of 19-50 will not get you the benefit of the whistle, especially on the road.

In the matchup of McGrady vs. Kobe, Kobe obviously had the better game. It is inappropriate to claim he's the better player of the two, because they are in completely different situations. He had a phenomenal game, but that shouldn't justify their entire rivarly/matchup.

Never use the statistics as an excuse or comparison. Kobe played better defense, and scored the points when he was needed. McGrady played a great 3 quarters of basketball, but when it really counted, he faded. If you are going to compare them stat wise, next time think about GP, Karl Malone, and Shaq. They tend to deplete Kobe's numbers. McGrady on the other hand doesn't have the privilege of playing with three future Hall of Famers. Therefore, his numbers are obviously going to be higher. If you chose to make judgements of the two, just compare them down the stretch. Kobe attacked the basket, or drained his jumpers. McGrady on the other hand bricked his shots or dished it off to a teammate. He wants to be the leader of the team, but leaders need to take over the game. Not pass it off to unreliable teammates, because they can't get the job done.</div>

He had to pass it off because the double and triple teams. Kobe wasn't doubled the whole night. If they leave t-mac one on one he would of had 50.He didn't fade down late he was doubled up with a big man almost everytime, so instead of being selfish like some say. he passed it to the open man.

3. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting DirtySouth:</div><div class="quote_post">He had to pass it off because the double and triple teams. Kobe wasn't doubled the whole night. If they leave t-mac one on one he would of had 50.He didn't fade down late he was doubled up with a big man almost everytime, so instead of being selfish like some say. he passed it to the open man.</div>
    He was double teamed, yes, but he should have made an attempt to score. If he was hacked enough during the double/triple team, the refs would most likely be forced to blow their whistle. The simple fact is, McGrady needed to be selfish. No one else can score, so why dish it off when the game is on the line? The 'open man' he passed it to either turned it over or missed the shot terribly. During the final play of the game, the ball was passed across the court, almost flying into LA's bench.

The difference in the game was Orlando's lack of defense vs. LA's defense.

4. DirtySouth

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Ice Breaker:</div><div class="quote_post">He was double teamed, yes, but he should have made an attempt to score. If he was hacked enough during the double/triple team, the refs would most likely be forced to blow their whistle. The simple fact is, McGrady needed to be selfish. No one else can score, so why dish it off when the game is on the line? The 'open man' he passed it to either turned it over or missed the shot terribly. During the final play of the game, the ball was passed across the court, almost flying into LA's bench.

The difference in the game was Orlando's lack of defense vs. LA's defense.</div>

The refs only blew the whistle for LA late in the game no matter what the case was just look at the last play in the 4th.

5. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Ice Breaker:</div><div class="quote_post">The difference in the game was Orlando's lack of defense vs. LA's defense.</div>

Lol funny you say that, because in the first 3 quarters we had absolutely no D and you guys were playing good D on us. Kobe on McGrady made the difference, and I know and am not surprised you guys think he was "hacking" or "raping" him, starting to get used to that though with all the Bruce Bowen complaints. I actually thought he played excellent D on him, and that made the difference down the stretch. Throughout the 4th the only one who played well for us was Kobe, and T-Mac faded when his team needed him most. That's the difference on this game, IMO.

6. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Phreeze:</div><div class="quote_post">Lol funny you say that, because in the first 3 quarters we had absolutely no D and you guys were playing good D on us. Kobe on McGrady made the difference, and I know and am not surprised you guys think he was "hacking" or "raping" him, starting to get used to that though with all the Bruce Bowen complaints. I actually thought he played excellent D on him, and that made the difference down the stretch. Throughout the 4th the only one who played well for us was Kobe, and T-Mac faded when his team needed him most. That's the difference on this game, IMO.</div>
    Well I was referring to the 4th quarter with Kobe's play. He was making jumper after jumper, and there was rarely a hand in his face.

As for Orlando's defense, if you didn't notice, they always blow big leads and turn the ball over. I guess they are 19-50 for a reason.

Kobe played phenomenal defense on McGrady. I'm sick of everyone complaining about it. He was rough at times, but it's the NBA, and Orlando was away. They weren't going to get calls for tight D and reach-ins.

7. notmuchgame

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting DirtySouth:</div><div class="quote_post">The refs only blew the whistle for LA late in the game no matter what the case was just look at the last play in the 4th.</div>

Again...it went both ways...Malone was hacked the play before (u keep ignoring that for some reason)...the fact of the matter is that refs usually don't call fouls at the end of games...

8. DirtySouth

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Phreeze:</div><div class="quote_post">Lol funny you say that, because in the first 3 quarters we had absolutely no D and you guys were playing good D on us. Kobe on McGrady made the difference, and I know and am not surprised you guys think he was "hacking" or "raping" him, starting to get used to that though with all the Bruce Bowen complaints. I actually thought he played excellent D on him, and that made the difference down the stretch. Throughout the 4th the only one who played well for us was Kobe, and T-Mac faded when his team needed him most. That's the difference on this game, IMO.</div>

It's good defense if the magic could of done the same to him. Rape him like he does to other people. they called 2 or 3 fouls for kobe that the reply clearly showed he wasn't fouled. Kobe didn't do it himself he had shaq and malone help him out almost every play.

9. Nasty

Nasty JBB Sorry, I killed Fever

What a game, I really don't care that much about either one ( T-Mac or Kobe ) .. but man, Kobe just took Tracy to the nearest school in the second half, and he STOPED Tracy from scoring when it counted, it really shows the big difference between the two players! .. Not to mention that Kobe is playing with pain caused by his sprained shoulder!

10. DirtySouth

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting notMuchgame:</div><div class="quote_post">Again...it went both ways...Malone was hacked the play before (u keep ignoring that for some reason)...the fact of the matter is that refs usually don't call fouls at the end of games...</div>

that was just one play, I can remember 3 or 4 off the top of my head where t-mac got fouled by kobe or shaq. Shaq was throwing around declerq like flea and when declerq barely touches him he flops and declerq gets his 6th. It was a good game kobe was awesome on offense at the end and I just don't agree with y'all saying that was good d by him and the rest of the hack a macs.

11. DirtySouth

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Air Canada:</div><div class="quote_post">What a game, I really don't care that much about either one ( T-Mac or Kobe ) .. but man, Kobe just took Tracy to the nearest school in the second half, and he STOPED Tracy from scoring when it counted, it really shows the big difference between the two players! .. Not to mention that Kobe is playing with pain caused by his sprained shoulder!</div>

Kind of like the difference when t-mac plays carter! Tracy wasn't guarding kobe so how did he take him to school?

12. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Kobe is also playing with 3 future hall of famer, Mcgrady isn't

Of course Kobe was unstoppable in the 2nd half and as much as I dislike Mcgrady, he used all his energy in the first half and did everything on his own. Kobe could wait til the 4th to use all of his up, he also faces a lot less defensive pressure than Mcgrady ever has. The thing is Kobe can afford to play very average basketball for 3 quarters as he has some damn good players along side him, Mcgrady doesn't have that chance and never will until he gets out of Orlando.

13. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting DirtySouth:</div><div class="quote_post">that was just one play, I can remember 3 or 4 off the top of my head where t-mac got fouled by kobe or shaq. Shaq was throwing around declerq like flea and when declerq barely touches he flops and declerq gets his 6th. It was a good game kobe was awesome on offense at the end and I just don't agree with y'all saying that was good d by him and the rest of the hack a macs.</div>

lol I'm guessing nothing is good D to you guys. When's the next time you guys play San Antonio? I'd love to hear your reaction after going up against Bowen. Kobe played great D, fighting through screens and getting up on T-Mac. McGrady DID get a lot of calls early on. Kobe still did end up with 5 personals after guarding T-Mac ya know.. Declerq had no chance up against Shaq throughout the game and we knew it was a matter of time until he fouled out no matter what, so why are you complaining there? I remember seeing 2 or 3 intentional fouls by him to stop Shaq from dunking too, so you really can't blame it on bad officiating.

14. DirtySouth

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Phreeze:</div><div class="quote_post">lol I'm guessing nothing is good D to you guys. When's the next time you guys play San Antonio? I'd love to hear your reaction after going up against Bowen. Kobe played great D, fighting through screens and getting up on T-Mac. McGrady DID get a lot of calls early on. Kobe still did end up with 5 personals after guarding T-Mac ya know.. Declerq had no chance up against Shaq throughout the game and we knew it was a matter of time until he fouled out no matter what, so why are you complaining there? I remember seeing 2 or 3 intentional fouls by him to stop Shaq from dunking too, so you really can't blame it on bad officiating.</div>

I know he would foul out to. but I'm talking about the 2 or 3 times shaq just threw him across the court and the times he grab and reached in on t-mac when he would try to drive.What about the time t-mac took it to shaq and scored. shaq gave him a belly bump that was an obvious foul.

15. notmuchgame

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">Kobe is also playing with 3 future hall of famer, Mcgrady isn't

Of course Kobe was unstoppable in the 2nd half and as much as I dislike Mcgrady, he used all his energy in the first half and did everything on his own. Kobe could wait til the 4th to use all of his up, he also faces a lot less defensive pressure than Mcgrady ever has. The thing is Kobe can afford to play very average basketball for 3 quarters as he has some damn good players along side him, Mcgrady doesn't have that chance and never will until he gets out of Orlando.</div>

I would agree with that in any other circumstance except last night...the Lakers didn't exactly hold fort for Kobe until the forth quarter....mind u the Lakers were down by as much as 19 points...

16. shoeaddict

shoeaddict JBB JustBBall Member

It pretty much even. Tmac and Kobe are bascially even in all parts of there game. The only difference is Kobe can have go to guys to get some easy points(shaq, g.p, other hall famers) While McGrady...well he has to carry his entire team. When kobe misses a shot, he has guys like shaw or malone to get the offense glass. When mcgrady misses, it usually turnsout to be the other teams posession.
    No one can really say whos better, since they bothjumped in to the nba from highschool. Both onced or still signed with adidas, and was labeled the best basketball player to jump from highschool.

Same
    - jumped from highschool
    - traded atleast once
    - there best friends(well..thats what i heard when i did a project on them)
    - both are elite players of the league(any team will love to have either of them once they become free agents)
    - both are phenomenal players

Difference
    - one is a team carrier, while the other can provide alot of aid to the team
    - one leads the nba in scoring(might lead for his second year), the other is no where where to be found in the top 20
    - kobe can be counted for the clutch, while tmac can be counted on for the first three courters.
    - kobe is surrounded by hall of famers, tmac is around ...well.. he is the team carrier.
    - Tmac is 6'8 and has a successful line of shoe's.
    - Tmac hasnt raped any white girl. [​IMG]

The only way to see who is better, if they played one on one. Hands down...From there we can say who is best who is better
    I been playing NBA Live 2004, and surely T-mac is my goo to man

[​IMG]

http://www.bruinsports.com/Page.aspx?ID=61

Dreams:
    Iverson doesnt want to stay in philly anymore.
    So give T-mac the answer... Iverson and McGrady on Orlando.
    Then there surely be a playoff team once again.
    Both are profound players. It will be enough to dominate the east.
    Comparing to last night game agaisnt the lakers, if McGrady can carry his team and still have that close of a game, then with the Answer, them both will dominate of Kobe.

[​IMG]
    One of my favorite pictures from my boy tmac.

and for you kobe fans
    [​IMG]

17. TMac_OwNz

TMac_OwNz JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Air Canada:</div><div class="quote_post">What a game, I really don't care that much about either one ( T-Mac or Kobe ) .. but man, Kobe just took Tracy to the nearest school in the second half, and he STOPED Tracy from scoring when it counted, it really shows the big difference between the two players! .. Not to mention that Kobe is playing with pain caused by his sprained shoulder!</div>

lol , Another guy that watched it on gamecast?

Kobe took T-Mac to school in the 2nd half?? and HE "STOPPED" T-Mac from scoring? lol..

First , T-Mac was getting raped by Kobe at the end of the game and he didn't stop T-Mac from scoring , most of the time he ended up getting double teamed by Kobe and Shaq or Malone or triple teamed by those 3.

When you are a ref , there's just respect to the "Lakers" that's what a championship does later on when games are on the line and you have homecourt advantage , or you're playing new teams*cough Nuggets cough* on the road.

Allnet covered most of the other stuff I wanted to say.

Edit: lol that's interesting shoeaddict I agree with you oh and Kobe is not in the top 20 because he has Shaq (most dominant center of ALL time IMO) and well..Karl Malone...and uh..Gary Payton? lol

AI as a PG in Orlando?? lol I'll do anything for that :P I bet you he will lead the league in APG but we have Hill so I don't see that happening.

btw , Kobe's shoes are UGLY UGLY UGLY(bubba sparxx).... lol , oh and no pressure for girls to be with him [​IMG] .

18. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting shoeaddict:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Same
    - jumped from highschool
    - traded atleast once
    - there best friends(well..thats what i heard when i did a project on them)
    - both are elite players of the league(any team will love to have either of them once they become free agents)
    - both are phenomenal players
    </div>

TMac was never traded was he? It was a FA signing.

19. TMac_OwNz

TMac_OwNz JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">TMac was never traded was he? It was a FA signing.</div>

He meant played with 2 teams .. but then Kobe didn't play with Charlotte so...

20. RipHamFan

RipHamFan JBB Registered User

What had me annoyed about this game was how biased the commentators were. I watched the game from Canada so I'm guessing it was broadcasted on national television, so there's no reason for commentators to show a bias if it's being played nationally (internationally if you include Canada). Down the stretch, everytime the Lakers scored, they'd go all crazy. And when the Lakers had the ball with a 3 point lead in OT, he kept saying, "They have to seal the deal here, they have to seal the deal here". And when Orlando had the ball he kept saying, "Lakers have to make a stop here". I don't know, I'm just getting annoyed with the whole Laker craze that's going on.

I'm not a Magic fan but I still wanted them to win that game. Kobe just hit shots when it matter most so you just have to tip your hat off to the guy. Exciting game though.