Exclusive Lamarcus Aldridge Will NOT Return This Off-Season (and why that's not a bad thing)

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, May 27, 2020.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Why exactly is it that you think a Whiteside S&T would interest SAS? I personally disagree, but I'm curious what makes you think they'd be on board with that?

hoopsjock likes this.
  2. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    So does that mean that the threads you make promoting your podcast won't have attention grabbing headlines ever again?

3. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

I never said SAS is interested in Whitside. Just that the salary could match. Maybe a 3rd team would get Whitside. Or maybe Blazers would give SAS draft picks, so they don't mind the downgrade from LMA to Whiteside with that benefit. Who knows, my point was there are ways to possibly do this type of trade if teams and players want to.

4. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    This is why I cringe anytime someone mentions sign-and-trades (this isn't directed at you specifically, I encounter this daily on other social media platforms as well):

Name a sign-and-trade that happened because a team wanted another player from another team under contract and tried to get that team to sign one of their free agents just to make the trade work? It doesn't happen like that.

Sign-and-trades happen for two reasons. There were a couple instances of a double sign-and-trade last year because of two coincidences of two teams trying to sign the other team's free agent but the same reasons still applied.

1) It's a restricted free agent that the team that wants to sign them fears if they sign him to the offer sheet his original team would just match the offer so they try to work out some sort of compensation instead (See Malcolm Brogdon last summer).

2) The team that wants to sign a free agent doesn't have enough cap space to outright sign that player so the only way to sign him is via giving up salary back to the original team (See Jimmy Butler last summer).

Now let's apply this situation to the Aldridge trade. If DeRozan opts out the Spurs would have enough cap space to outright sign Whiteside. So even if they really wanted him (which I seriously doubt Pop would want a guy like him but I'll leave opinion out of this) they could just sign him. If DeRozan opts in they'd have the Full-MLE to offer Whiteside without needing to trade anyone away either. Now the Blazers can't offer Whiteside in a sign-and-trade, it has to be the team that wants to sign him that approaches the Blazers. So in order for a sign-and-trade with the Spurs to happen all of these things would have to occur:

1) DeRozan opts in.

2) Spurs want to offer Whiteside a multi-year contract for more than the MLE.

3) Whiteside agrees to that contract with the Spurs.

4) The Spurs would want to deal Aldridge for Whiteside.

5) The Spurs would have to pay Whiteside at least $19,120,000 million per year to make the trade work (if Portland included just picks) or Whiteside's first year salary combined with other salary would have to equal that amount.

6) Both teams would have to agree to whatever terms.

So the first three steps have to occur before we'd even know if they'd be willing to trade Aldridge for Whiteside. What is being suggested here (and by a bunch of other people) is backwards. Philly didn't/couldn't have gone into last off season wanting to sign-and-trade Jimmy Butler. They got lucky that the place he wanted to sign was willing to give up decent pieces back to them and couldn't just outright sign him. They couldn't have contacted the Heat and said we'll sign-and-trade you Butler, it was only after Butler had agreed to sign there.

In summary, sign-and-trades only happen because a team wants to sign a player and doesn't have the space. They don't happen because a team wants to trade for a player on another team and doesn't have the contracts to match salary.

BonesJones likes this.
  5. PtldPlatypus

The post of yours I quoted specifically said (omitting irrelevant parts):

That is the statement I was asking you to clarify.

hoopsjock and BonesJones like this.
  6. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Yeah I post these videos knowing some people will simply just discuss the topic explained in the title and not watch the video. I wish people would though because I truly try to go as in-depth as possible and think there's a lot of educated, in-depth conversations that could start from things said in the video.

hoopsjock likes this.
  7. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I'm not high on bringing him back as I'd prefer to build around youngsters and if we pick up a seasoned vet front court player, get one that has a bit more nasty than LA. Besides why would Neil want to bring him back after leading Paul & him on? They went all out to accommodate him and he pretty much lied to them. I don't blame LA for wanting to leave as he spend many years here and his son and mom were in Texas, how he deceived the owner and GM, that dampens my wish for his return. I guess if Dames wants him its possible.

8. SharpesTriumph

Maybe initially Whiteside agrees to sign with a 3rd team with cap space. Then later on as part of other moves the Spurs and Blazers work out an Aldridge trade if the Spurs rebuild. Who the fuck knows. I'm just saying there's multiple ways salaries could match up from the Blazers end. Whiteside is one, Ariza is another, hell it could be a piece of a CJ trade. I said I dont think it's going to happen.

Last summer before free agency if you said Miami was going to sign Jimmy Bulter as a free agent when they were way over the cap someone couldve said it's near impossible and listed similar detailed reasons you did here. Ultimately he was sign and traded along with many unforeseen transactions.

Add on to this the CBA is void from the pandemic. We dont know if there'll even be a salary cap or trade matching or whatever current rules in the next offseason.

9. SharpesTriumph

Good question. Yes I assume SAS would be interested in the draft pick half of my statement, as I assume all teams are interested in first round picks. Now Whiteside as a player I admit doesn't make sense for SAS if they rebuild. Maybe they even would view him as negative value. Maybe a 3rd team would want him however. Who knows.

I'm not saying an Aldridge trade is likely. I just dont believe we can dismiss it as an absolute zero percemt chance it could happen as the title states.

10. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Who the fuck knows? I know, and I just told you that doesn't work. You didn't comprehend a single thing I said about Jimmy Butler.

I'm so sick of people who dismiss the rules because it doesn't fit their narrative.

11. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

^What the hell? Why you getting so mad bro^

CupWizier likes this.
  12. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Because it's frustrating when someone complains about a video they obviously didn't watch and then when someone takes the time to explain why it doesn't work the way he is saying it could he pretty much just ignored it and said the same thing he said before. Drives me nuts.

BonesJones likes this.
  13. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I hear ya. But there is too much shit going down in the world right now to get upset over this. Take some deep breathes and go hug your family. We gotta come together right now.

14. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

You got to admit that Jimmy Butler trade was one of a kind. Not many thought it could happen. Lots of things had to happen to make that fall into place. If i remember correctly you didn't feel it was plausible. Any time there are four teams involved it's a tough deal to complete.

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  15. PtldPlatypus

I read his title as having about as much certainty as your statement that SAS would be interested in paying Whiteside $60M over 3 years for the privilege of obtaining our first-round pick.

This is a forum of non-insiders--all predictive statements made in here are simply opinions based on someone's perception of probabilities, and really should be interpreted as such.

SharpesTriumph and kjironman1 like this.
  16. SharpesTriumph

Yeah good point, I agree both the title and SAS wanting to pay whitside 60 million don't make sense.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  17. SharpesTriumph

You don't know for certain what will happen just as I don't. My only argument was acquiring aldridge, even if very unlikely, is possible and nothing you've said has proven otherwise.

I haven't dismissed rules or the CBA. I stated facts, as well as that we don't even know what rule changes with the CBA could be in effect in these unusual times once we are at an eventual offseason.

Maybe you are angry I'm not pumping up the view count of your partners youtube channel and singing praise? I saw a factually incorrect statement and pointed it out. Relax. Others have pointed out errors I've made which I like and accept.

You probably need to step away from your computer if someone posting on the internet can upset you so much.

18. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Wrong

19. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    I don't care if you watch the video. The problem is you don't know what you're talking about and if you just watched it you could've been educated about it.

I do know for certain that a sign and trade using Whiteside will not work in this situation. Until you provide an example of just one sign and trade like trading Whiteside for Aldridge would be then I'll just assume you have no desire to learn why.

20. SharpesTriumph

Maybe a third team decides to sign Whiteside as a free agent, lets say the stupid Knicks. Then to structure the signing as a sign and trade a few days later the Blazers offer a second round pick to the Knicks team, and a pick or two to the Spurs. The Blazers maybe send another player to the Spurs if needed to match salary. The Spurs get a pick and cap relief.

It has similarities to the way Jamal Crawford was traded to the Hawks in the Gallinari sign and trade from the Nuggets to the Clippers.

There are many other ways an Aldridge to PDX trade could happen. Ariza could be involved, or Hood, or CJ, hell even Nurk. Maybe Aldridge is the second player coming to PDX of a larger deal centered on the Blazers adding a superior starter. Maybe that starter is on a cheap contract so Aldridge large dollars are needed to better match salary. Maybe the CBA trade rules change. Theres beyond dozens of scenarios that could be possible. I'm not saying its likely a trade is ever seriously considered, all I am saying is the aspect that does make sense is PDX needs to win now if building around Lillard; and Aldridge would have little value on a rebuilding Spurs squad. Both those could make a mutual advantage to both teams doing a trade. Yes there are cap complications and difficulties in matching salaries, maybe those are so significant it prevents a trade. However I believe stating a fact that Aldridge will not return is incorrect. It might help with youtube view so nice job grabbing interest in that regard.