LaMarcus on Dame

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by DDolla, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Meh. I think it's fine. The championship team guys should all stay retired. In fact, the guys who have been retired are fine.

But in the future it should be reserved for only the most popular and successful players. Like Dame.

2. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I hear you. It just seems to be forgotten how YOUNG and ill prepared these kids are. Been put on a pedestal for years BEFORE they come into the league and are handed millions.
    Trust me, they are mostly just naive kids seeing the world for the first time.
    You take a batch of society at that age, and you would see the same thing.......they’d would just be wearing Levi’s and driving Hondas instead of Gucci and Bentleys.

RR7 likes this.
  3. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Yeah, I absolutely agree. That's why I think players should be forced to stay in college 3 or even 4 years. The NBA should insist on college courses to teach these players some of these things, and pay for insurance policies and a stipend for "1st round possible" players.

Not only would the education be better for the players long term, maturing more before being given millions would make those players better ambassadors for the NBA.

4. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

LMA was a Robin who thought he was a Batman. His relationship with Lillard was made bad by him, not Lillard. LMA was aloof and distant from Lillard because Lillard became the leader of the team.

5. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    I heard the same thing. And that's why his number should NEVER be retired, nor should he be honored by this franchise in any way, shape, or form.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  6. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

LMA was the semi attractive dude at the small town high school who thought he was going to be the king his senior year because the better looking guy graduated..... but then a much better looking and well-liked guy moved into town and stole all his thunder.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  7. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

And left when he was falling off

8. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

Exactly! Dame always showed him a lot of love!

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  9. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

I agree it cheapens retiring numbers when every good player is retired. The A's have been in Oakland only a few years longer than Blazers in Portland. Best of my memory they retired Catfish Hunter, Reggie Jackson, Rollie Fingers, Rickey Henderson and Dennis Eckersley, all hall of famers and all won World Series. Plus every team retired Jackie Robinson's number

SlyPokerDog likes this.